Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommend ext. FireWire drive?

Recommend ext. FireWire drive?
blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 07:04 AM

I need to replace my dead backup drive with a external, FireWire disk of 250GB or larger.

The dead drive is a Maxtor 5000XT, an external FW unit. A friend has the same drive that also died. I want to avoid Maxtor on this.

Can anyone recommend another all-in-one unit? This is for backup so ultimate speed is not the key concern here.

Here''s one: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10384

...anyone know who makes the mechanism in that unit? Thanks.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

bbales
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 09:33 AM

I recently bought two Seagates. I couldn't tell you who makes the mechanisms, though. I got them because of the five-year warranty, plus they were offering rebates. I also have a Mercury Elite drive from Other World Computing. And I don't have a LaCie drive, but I have a LaCie CD burner. I did have trouble with it at one pont and their technical support was VERY good (this was a couple years ago) and, when it turned out to be something with the drive, which was still under warranty, they fixed it and sent it back in a very timely fashion. Just used the burner the other day and it still works great.

poynter
May 20, 2005, 09:39 AM

I have a couple LaCie D2 drives, they are my favorite externals, they are super fast and they are built like a tank, and they match aluminum powerbooks and g5's really well.
-tony

hickey
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 06:05 PM

At school I use a LaCie 250Gb to back up all the footage for our video yearbook, it's done nothing but praise for us. We've had no probelms with it, the main advantage of that over the Porsche designed ones is that it has firewire 800. Lightning fast transfers.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 06:14 PM

here is another vote toward lacie and their drives.
a few weeks ago i was at the apple store and decided it was time i bought something to back up my powerbook too. i got a 160gig firewire 800,400, usb 2, lacie drive. about 3 days ago my powerbook hard drive died. amazing timing on my part with the purchase. i lost a song or two that i bought the night before, that's it.

i ended up buying a new imac when i went to get my powerbook fixed, but that's another story. i got my powerbook hard drive today and installed it. powerbook is back to my last backup thanks to that hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules