Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What was the last beer you had ? (pixx)

What was the last beer you had ? (pixx) (Page 2)
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Warung
The closest I ever got, was drinking a straight shot of Everclear. A really unique experience. My nasal passage all of a sudden were wide open and it seemed like air was rushing in all by itself.

For a second or two I thought I was going to die.
I still buy several bottles when I road trip (sale of is illegal in Michigan) and drink it pretty regularly. Good stuff!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by LeftWingLock
Make that two of us. I brought some back from San Antonio last week. Quite tasty
It's a great "regular" beer. It has body, flavor and little in the way of aftertaste; Shiner Bock is good for just about any beer purpose.

On the other hand, Chimay and Orval are perfect for "special" beer purposes. They're both made by Belgian Trapist monks, and those guys are GOOD at it! Pricey, but very good stuff!

Orval's site, and Chimay's site.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 10:15 PM

Well, now I' just embarrassed to say Miller Lite. I did enjoy a Sea Dog Blueberry Friday...

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
I still buy several bottles when I road trip (sale of is illegal in Michigan) and drink it pretty regularly. Good stuff!
I cannot imagine drinking EverClear REGULARLY! liver + grain alcohol = bad news

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 10:22 PM

Too much hops for me, but whaddya gonna do. It's America, and y'all like yer fancy beers fulla hops.

Bleh...

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 10:47 PM

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2005, 11:22 PM

For tonight's endeavors, it's been Dogfish Head 90 Minute I.P.A.

http://www.dogfish.com/beer/90minuteipa.cfm
Nemo me impune lacesset

Warung
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
I hope it's legible enough.
I'm having trouble focussing on the lable...my eyes keep moving dow..I wonder why??

Nice pic!

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
I'm having trouble focussing on the lable...my eyes keep moving dow..I wonder why??

Nice pic!
heh, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.. a fine beverage, I prefer about 3-4 for a fun evening with friends.
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Aug 15, 2005 at 05:23 AM. )
ice

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 15, 2005, 05:37 AM

Jever (wasn't good), Paulaner (ok). But if you ask me what I like most is Becks (no pictures - I hate this flash fsck).

When I am in Freiburg I prefer the beer of one of the local breweries (they only sell it in their own beergarden). The taste is very fresh ( varies a bit depending on how drunk the chef-brewer is ).

Best is: They sell a 1.5 liter jar for 6.9 € with as many glasses as you want.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 06:30 AM

Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 09:29 AM

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 10:25 AM

Superb beer !

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 11:56 AM

Oh well, it was in my brother-in-law's fridge, went in to get a bottled water, found this instead. Pretty much the same thing, IMO.

Not bad when you're really thirsty, first time I'd had a domestic light beer in over 10 years.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Not bad when you're really thirsty, first time I'd had a domestic light beer in over 10 years.
At that dose, it will probably NOT kill you

-t

skalie
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 12:08 PM

As we speak.....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
At that dose, it will probably NOT kill you

-t
My brother-in-law asked, "I thought you wanted a water?"

I replied, "same thing".

It was very cold, I think that helped.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dav
Last NIGHT.

I'm paying for it now though. Hangovers suck, especially at work.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2005, 01:49 PM

HOLY MIND SKIP! I forgot something REALLY important!

They've changed the bottle shape but not the basic label...

The LAST beer I had was a Young's Double Chocolate Stout! WOW is that good beer. They start with toasted grain-toasted to a chocolate brown, and then they add ACTUAL CHOCOLATE to the process! OH BOY! That's good beer! Rich, creamy flavor that actually does taste chocolaty, along with all the wonderuful goodness of a well-made stout! How could I forget that!?!?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter

The LAST beer I had was a Young's Double Chocolate Stout! WOW is that good beer. They start with toasted grain-toasted to a chocolate brown, and then they add ACTUAL CHOCOLATE to the process! OH BOY! That's good beer! Rich, creamy flavor that actually does taste chocolaty, along with all the wonderuful goodness of a well-made stout! How could I forget that!?!?
*places this beer on his shopping list*

Looks like a good "autumn stout" to have while watching football games on the tube.
- Thomas Paine

MacPino
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 03:18 PM

best beer in the world. nothing else enters my house.

(except special beers, that is)
proud daddy!

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 03:20 PM

Ah well, tastes differ. IMHO, Grolsh is only slightly higher in the beer-food-chain than American beers

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
I cannot imagine drinking EverClear REGULARLY! liver + grain alcohol = bad news

Nah. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 03:31 PM

Superb beer !

-t
indeed.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2005, 06:25 PM

image cut

sounds great to me, i will have to see if i can get it in my area.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 07:10 PM

best cheapish American beer where i am now:

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2005, 07:20 PM

MacNStein and nredman, I usually get it at (amazingly) a GROCERY STORE! I thought this kind of stuff would only show up in specialty shops, but no, it's pretty easy to find in San Antonio and Austin. (In some neighborhoods, that is...) Check for it where they target higher-income (or even snootier-income) customers. One place I can find it is Whole Foods Market (whose home is in Austin). I can also get Orval and Chemay there too!

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by
imo cheap beer doesn't get much better. I just converted one of my friends who was previously a Bud (blech) drinker.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2005, 07:36 PM

The LAST beer I had was a Young's Double Chocolate Stout! WOW is that good beer.
I concur.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

skalie
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 03:34 AM

Ah well, tastes differ. IMHO, Grolsh is only slightly higher in the beer-food-chain than American beers

-t
Very true, three days from vat to bottle. Some Dutch beers ( Bavaria ) spend no longer than 12 hours in the vat before being bottled and shipped of to the supermarket.

Did someone say "CHEMICALS".

Check it out, a German beer will have a "use by" date of a year and a half, a Dutch beer six months. I shudder to think of what sort of practices are being used in other countries brewing Grolsch.

Bonus trivia, until recently Grolsch was brewed in two factories in the Netherlands, one made the "pop top" half liter, the other the more regular 30cl bottle. Two factories, two "brouwmeisters" and two recipies. The one in the pop top was a much much nicer beer, I had always assumed it had something to do with the shape of the bottle.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 16, 2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by skalie
Very true, three days from vat to bottle. Some Dutch beers ( Bavaria ) spend no longer than 12 hours in the vat before being bottled and shipped of to the supermarket.

Did someone say "CHEMICALS".

Check it out, a German beer will have a "use by" date of a year and a half, a Dutch beer six months. I shudder to think of what sort of practices are being used in other countries brewing Grolsch.

Bonus trivia, until recently Grolsch was brewed in two factories in the Netherlands, one made the "pop top" half liter, the other the more regular 30cl bottle. Two factories, two "brouwmeisters" and two recipies. The one in the pop top was a much much nicer beer, I had always assumed it had something to do with the shape of the bottle.
Explain "vat to bottle" please. Are you saying they ferment in 3 days and bottle?

What chemicals do you think they use?

Do you know anything about the production of beer?

skalie
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Explain "vat to bottle" please. Are you saying they ferment in 3 days and bottle?
Yep, three days in the vat. Whether further fermentation occurs in the bottle, I can't say.

What chemicals do you think they use?
No idea, I do however know that German beers use none. (Reinheitsgebot)

Do you know anything about the production of beer?
No, apart from having had friends that "homebrew' I am more involved in the consumption side of things. That being said, the liquor salesmen in a certain Dutch bottle store chain "De Mitre" are very knowledgeable about their alcohol. They get trained, wines etc. It is from one of them that I gleaned the information I posted above.

Addendum: From Wiki (which I know is an open source source) lager section.

With modern improved fermentation control, most lager breweries use only short periods of cold storage, typically 1–3 weeks.
More research...

From http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer_conditioning.htm

Accelerated Beer Lagering

Traditionally, lagering served four purposes: extract reduction, clarification, carbonation, and flavor maturation. However, given the capital-intensive nature of storage, many brewers have reduced the storage time and downsized the required plant facilities. Today, with better equipment obviating the need for secondary fermentation, the wort is usually fully attenuated during primary fermentation, thereby eliminating the need for traditional lagering. The beer is usually conditioned between 2 and 5 days at temperatures ranging between -1 and 2ºC before filtration.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2005, 10:46 AM

Mmmm... far east beer... while being in the far east...

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2005, 01:06 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2005, 04:05 PM

I have to thank everyone who has participated in this thread, and particularly the ones who were interested in my mention of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. You see, when I posted about where I buy it, I started looking for a distributor to refer people in the States to... and that reminded me that the laws hereabouts (Texas) have recently been changed by the Supreme Court; I can now order alcoholic bevarages online! So I started looking for my wife's favorite licquor, a Danish cherry wonder called Cherry Kijafa (and its lovely twin sister Chocolate Cherry Kijafa). Lo and behold, I found them, and very reasonably priced too! But I think the Kijafa issue deserves its own thread...

Thanks again!

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
A pretty decent Belgian White.

Good stuff.

Its been very hot here (by Pac NW standards) so these have been going down like prom dates.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2005, 05:24 PM

MacNStein and nredman, I usually get it at (amazingly) a GROCERY STORE! I thought this kind of stuff would only show up in specialty shops, but no, it's pretty easy to find in San Antonio and Austin. (In some neighborhoods, that is...) Check for it where they target higher-income (or even snootier-income) customers. One place I can find it is Whole Foods Market (whose home is in Austin). I can also get Orval and Chemay there too!
thanks for the advice...their website doesn't have a "where to buy" page at all so i'll just have to keep an eye out

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 07:37 PM

Tonight's last. Goooooood stuff.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 07:41 PM

and yesterday's last. Really Really good stuff. one of my favorite, on tap of course..

Forum Links
Forum Rules