Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My first impressions after meeting the iMac G4

My first impressions after meeting the iMac G4 (Page 2)
VanToffler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2002, 08:58 PM

Most of the people that act like this are social outcasts in the real world. They come to Internet forums to act out by taking on these passive aggressive and sometimes just plain aggressive personalities. It's well documented and not uncommon.

The layman might call it "small ding-dong syndrome", but whatever it is - it's hard to ignore these weenies when they go around insulting people for no good reason. I'm going to try and ignore these people in the future, because they feed off the firestorms they create.

I read a story about it a few months ago. If I can find the URL, I will share it.

Originally posted by iDaver:
<STRONG>
Rude comments like this from self-righteous people like you make me sick. He's the one who started this thread you dolt; and was just making comments about HIS impression of the new machine. Perhaps you could make a constructive comment yourself.</STRONG>
[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: VanToffler ]

JH
Jan 20, 2002, 01:14 PM

Just to chip in with my 2 cents worth (or pence/euros whatever):

As to first impressions to the new iMac, I guess it was WOW!!!...

but after a few day's reflection I'm not so sure - don't get me wrong here (quickly slipping into asbestos underwear!) it's undoubtedly a superb design.

My reservations are this:
I've owned both the previous generations of iMac, first of all I had a 266 Mhz tray loading and thought it was great.......then the second generation came out with faster processor, faster system bus, faster graphics card plus Firewire.
So I got one - now despite several jumps in speed I havn't been tempted to upgrade, as mine still does everything I need it to - or haven't until now - while I'm not a 'hard-core' gamer it's obvious that the next generation of games (Giants, RTCW, Myth 3) or not going to work on my machine.

However......

Why stick with a 100 Mhz system bus, surely a 133 Mhz wouldn't have broken the bank?

Why only a 5400 rpm drive, modern 7200 rpm drives can surely run cool enough to use?

A 32 Mb Geforce 2 is much better than a 16 Mb Rage128 but realistically was probably the minimum spec they could have put in.

I needed to changed the 10 Gb hard drive in my iMac for a 40 Gb within a year - how easy will it be to change the drive in the new one?

The LCD looks great but also has 'f****ing expensive repair cost' written all over it.

I'm still planning on changing/upgrading my iMac - probably in the summer - but at the moment I'm wondering if a refurb G4 tower (533/450 DP?) plus 17 inch studio CRT might not be a better long term option.

Jeff

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: JH ]

kstevens
Jan 20, 2002, 02:17 PM

Why? Because Apple was looking to cut expenses where ever they could. If rumour is true, they had to severely cut margins to get the iMac priced in where they did. Any of these added "features" would have drive the price up where Apple didn't want to go.

As for the drive, if you got a copy of the take a part pdf you would know that it isn't very difficult to change the drive, but it would void the warranty.

Ken

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by JH:
<STRONG>

I'm still planning on changing/upgrading my iMac - probably in the summer - but at the moment I'm wondering if a refurb G4 tower (533/450 DP?) plus 17 inch studio CRT might not be a better long term option.

</STRONG>
Keep in mind that the G4 towers are noisy. After having used a fan-less iMac for awhile you might be shocked. I've heard the fan in the new iMac G4 is very quiet (and waiting to see if that's the case). This is a big plus in my opinion. Go for the tower only if you really need the expansion options and can put up with the noise.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2002, 03:19 PM

I must agree that the screen size is the deal breaker for me. I would love to buy a new iMac, but that display is too damn small. I currently use a 19" CRT, and while I could accept stepping down to the equivalent of a 17" CRT, the 15" LCD is laughable in size.

Note to those of you who say that the iMac's display is "about" the size of a 17" CRT, it is not even close.

19" CRT: 18" viewable.
17" CRT: 16" viewable.

15" LCD: 15" viewable.

So the iMac is about an inch smaller than a 17" CRT. Too small for me. Yes, a bit larger than the CRT iMac, but then the CRT iMac's display is so tiny I've got to suppress a laugh everytime I see one.

What I like about this design is that Apple obviously made it easy to add a model with a larger display, with no extra engineering required. A 17" LCD iMac is probably not to far away, maybe even at MWNY we'll see on. Apple listens to their customers, and the iMac's monitor size was the most common complaint for the last model. Apple isn't going to make the same mistake twice, and lock themselves into a display. That's the genius of the new iMac, Apple can take the design in different directions without much expense. Add a smaller LCD for the low end, sub $1000 model, and add a larger LCD for a high end model. Brilliant.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by JH:
<STRONG>Why only a 5400 rpm drive, modern 7200 rpm drives can surely run cool enough to use?</STRONG>
It seems to me the primary goal of the iMac has always been to make it as un-computer-like as possible, to make it totally unobtrusive as far as the "Hi, I'm a computer - see my cables" aspect goes.

The iMac is in your face, on your desk. A tower, you can have under the desk, in another room, or in a closet. The iMac you cannot escape if you're going to use it.

This of course includes making it as quiet as possible. 7200-rpm drives run noticeably hotter than 5400-rpm ones. I'm sure the decision to include a fan in the new iMac at all was difficult enough, but it would run a lot louder if there were a hotter drive in there.

Originally posted by JH:
<STRONG>The LCD looks great but also has 'f****ing expensive repair cost' written all over it.</STRONG>
So does every other component. I'm not sure why the LCD display of the new iMac should be any more trouble.

Originally posted by JH:
<STRONG>I'm still planning on changing/upgrading my iMac - probably in the summer - but at the moment I'm wondering if a refurb G4 tower (533/450 DP?) plus 17 inch studio CRT might not be a better long term option.</STRONG>
If you don't care about the noise and space, get a higher resolution, possibly have use for the PCI slots, and save money - then go for it.

I was thinking about a refurb/used Cube, really, but I'm waiting to see if they'll stick a higher-resolution display on the iMac sometime this year and then probably invest in whatever is the best option around Christmas.

-chris.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
<STRONG>

My girlfriend says the same thing about my desire for a Superdrive! </STRONG>
Yeah...she mentioned that.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by lee vieira:
<STRONG>I agree that Jansar does not have the right to dictate what people can and cannot discuss on this forum, but I doubt he has any reason to be embarassed about the new iMac's pricing...it's pretty decent, actually.
</STRONG>
Well, actually, I think that I'm the only adult here posting in this particular forum. First of all, I never commented on the iMac price. In fact, in other forums, I've praised it (what adolescents don't quite comprehend yet), and it's OBVIOUS that PC's are way cheaper. We are supposed to be talking about iMacs, NOT Dell computers. There's my two cents worth. Now pull those passifiers out of your mouths and GROW UP!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

kstevens
Jan 20, 2002, 08:21 PM

Oh, give me a break!! Go cry somewhere else...

Ken

VanToffler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2002, 09:20 PM

The Great Jansar (President of Jansar Entertainment and self-proclaimed adult) has spoken. Comply with his demands, or you will be dealt with accordingly.

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>

Well, actually, I think that I'm the only adult here posting in this particular forum. First of all, I never commented on the iMac price. In fact, in other forums, I've praised it (what adolescents don't quite comprehend yet), and it's OBVIOUS that PC's are way cheaper. We are supposed to be talking about iMacs, NOT Dell computers. There's my two cents worth. Now pull those passifiers out of your mouths and GROW UP!</STRONG>

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 10:23 PM

roflmao

Jansar "Entertainment"

so far, I'm entertained

lol
*empty space*

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2002, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>

Well, actually, I think that I'm the only adult here posting in this particular forum </STRONG>
Well, that's certainly an interesting point-of-view.

Are you familar with the term 'a legend in their own mind'?

<STRONG> and it's OBVIOUS that PC's are way cheaper. </STRONG>
I don't know if that's always true. I mean, sure, if you're talking crap eMachines-level hardware, then PCs are cheap, but when you move up to something of similar quality, it seems like a lot of the price diff goes away.

I remember once when I priced the $799 iMac vs a similar Dell system w/15" CRT...at first the Dell system was cheaper, but once I brought the Dell up to a similar level by adding the things to it that the iMac had and the Dell didn't (Ethernet, an optical mouse, a comparable graphics card, nice keyboard, etc.) the price difference ended up being quite small.

Perhaps it's more accurate to say that you can order your PCs 'a la carte', rather than saying that they're 'WAY cheaper'. 'WAY cheaper' for what?

--lee

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: lee vieira ]

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2002, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>

Yeah...she mentioned that. </STRONG>
Still on that 17"er thing? I'd think that most would find the reality very hard to swallow

--lee

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2002, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by lee vieira:
<STRONG>

Still on that 17"er thing? I'd think that most would find the reality very hard to swallow

--lee</STRONG>
Undoubtedly, though I am informed by my friend from the Welhungong tribe that driving one is super!

benschilke
Jan 22, 2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Gee-Man:
<STRONG>VanToffler,

Good observations, but I would disagree with one comment:

One more thing - once I saw it in person I too realized that the base is bigger than the pictures, but if you think about it, if it were any smaller it would have serious stability problems. The arm for the LCD would be extremely annoying if the base kept shifting as you adjusted it, plus it would be very prone to falling over with a smaller base. Neither of these are a problem with the design they came up, it felt extremely stable to me as I poked and prodded the thing. I think that the iMac, while not a system that I would buy personally (I need 1280x1024 minimum for what I do), is a perfect size for its intended market - in fact, I've already ordered one for my Mom, who's been looking to buy an iMac for a while now.</STRONG>
Dont forget that the iMac's base pretty much disappears once you sit behind the iMac and then you're dealing only with a bright screen floating in front of you. I hope there isn't too much stress put on the iMac's base and it's appearance, because I don't think that's what is going to be what makes this iMac great--it's going to be it's user experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules