Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac and external monitor

iMac and external monitor
mlangbau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 03:06 PM

I have an iMac DV. I also presently have a 17 inch monitor hooked up to an old powermac. Is there a way I can connect this monitor to my iMac to give me bigger screen space?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2001, 02:07 AM

Yes, the DV models have a VGA out port on the back. You may need to change cover plates to allow access to the port. When using an external monitor, everything is MIRRORED. As in the same thing appears on your iMac screen as on the 17" monitor. There's no way to create a desktop extending between both monitors. Same thing on both.

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

Sender
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 08:16 AM

What's the minimum resolution for the external?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2001, 12:54 PM

It's likely 640x480 (VGA).

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Jun 3, 2001, 01:50 PM

using switchres you can force the monitors to go to higher resolutions. in fact, the internal imac monitor will run at 1280x1024 @ 60hz. if you use switchres, watch out what resolutions you switch to, as some can damage the internal imac monitor.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch
:
<STRONG>Yes, the DV models have a VGA out port on the back. You may need to change cover plates to allow access to the port. When using an external monitor, everything is MIRRORED. As in the same thing appears on your iMac screen as on the 17" monitor. There's no way to create a desktop extending between both monitors. Same thing on both.
</STRONG>
What do you mean by "�change the cover plates�?" I've been pondering the fact that every source I've looked at speaks of the iMac DV's VGA port yet I've been unable to find one anywhere on my iMac. I've even looked around with a flashlight shined through the case. Truly this is a strange usage of the word "includes" that I'm not familiar with. Is it hiding behind the cover plate for the other I/O ports? If you could point me to a resource, I would be ever so thankful.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

as2
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2001, 09:15 PM

If you place your iMac on a soft surface with it's screen facing down, you will notice the panel that you use to acces the ram slots. Above this is a oval shaped piece of clear plastic with holes in it.

At the top end of this, in the middle there is a small slit into which you can insert a flat headed screwdriver to prise the cover off. You should have found a similar cover with a hole in it in the box when you got yout iMac, and this then fits into the gap you have just made. You can then attach the external monitor.

I am using my iMac with a 17" AppleVision monitor, and it is working wonders.

Hope this helps.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2001, 10:37 PM

Thanks! And to think, I haven't noticed that all this time.
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2001, 10:54 PM

I wish I could shut the darn iMac display off when I had teh external on. That is why I do not use it! Or maybe just an iMac without a diplay in a really slim case....

Nick

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2001, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by cbr600f4:
<STRONG>I wish I could shut the darn iMac display off when I had teh external on. That is why I do not use it! Or maybe just an iMac without a diplay in a really slim case....

Nick</STRONG>
Perhaps there is a way to disable the internal monitor internally. I believe in the tray loading iMacs, the display connected via the standard 15-pin VGA connector inside, and you could just unplug it? Can you do the same with the newer models?

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2001, 09:46 AM

Will Switchres enable the ibook to output a higher resolution?

broadsword
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2001, 10:09 AM

Great info regarding recent DV slot-loading models. My question is can older non DV iMacs still use an ext. monitor by using an adaptor (possibly made by 3rd party), which would also be accessable by way of the VGA port "cover"?
Many teachers in our school district could benifit with this set-up in their classroom, since they each have unused monitors after receiving their own iMac/iBook this year.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2001, 08:43 PM

I believe that some device like this was made for the original iMacs (by Griffin). It wasn't a mezzanine slot device, but it did obstruct the mezzanine slot. It would probably fit in the revision A-D iMacs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules