Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Blue Stained 14-month-old MacBook

Blue Stained 14-month-old MacBook
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 11:04 AM

I found quite a few threads about this using the Search facility but the most recent was from January which is both too old to resurrect and, more to the point, was when all MacBooks were still within their first year of AppleCare.

So, I neglected to buy AppleCare for my MacBook this May just gone and now, a month and a half later, the upper inside case (the keyboard/trackpad area) has started to turn a stranger shade of blue.

http://megasad.com/macnn/stained.jpg

This literally did not happen until this morning. Up until now, the worst of such discolouration was a slight bit of a light brown to the right of the trackpad that has appeared gradually over the last month but which I do not mind. But this blueness... it is like I had ink on my hands and touched my MacBook up... Which I did not do. I just looked down and there it was.

Anyway, so Apple are good to people covered by AppleCare, fix this right away apparently.

My question is; does anyone know if Apple will still repair this for free outside of AppleCare? Or will they charge me monies for it?

Also, I am in Germany for the summer, bought it in London. Assuming they will fix it, will I be able to take it to a store here in Germany? Or will I need to wait until September? If I do need to pay, does anyone know how much it will be?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jul 5, 2007, 11:34 AM

it is like I had ink on my hands and touched my MacBook up... Which I did not do.
Hmmmm, it really does look like that...

does anyone know if Apple will still repair this for free outside of AppleCare?
Not without very good reason I would imagine, otherwise why would consumers bother with AppleCare?

missingbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 12:01 PM

Try cleaning it with a VERY damp Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those things can work wonders on an iBook or Macbook.

Gavin

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 12:16 PM

sweaty hands may have caused it, its what happens to my friends guitar... but then again, thats a guitar and this is a macbook.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by missingbite View Post
Try cleaning it with a VERY damp Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those things can work wonders on an iBook or Macbook.
I tried cleaning it in the way I normally do, using damp tissue, but it had no effect.

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
sweaty hands may have caused it, its what happens to my friends guitar... but then again, thats a guitar and this is a macbook.
The only thing different about me using my MacBook this morning and any other day is that last night I cut my finger by accident, like so:

So, whilst sweat hasn't hurt the MacBook up until now, maybe random traces of blood on my hands did? Obviously I washed my hands, didn't use my machine until the blood had stopped flowing (red/brown stains would be kind of obvious) but that is the only thing I can think that might have caused it so quickly. That or simple coincidence.

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Not without very good reason I would imagine, otherwise why would consumers bother with AppleCare?
Good news! I am thrice-blessed with regards this MacBook and Apple.

First they replaced the logic board for me, after I accidentally broke it during a botched RAM install within the first week of owning it.

Second, they replaced the bottom shell when their first repair made a bulge and then a crack appear in it.

And now, third, I called AppleCare here in Germany and they tell me that my MacBook's serial number falls within the range of machines of which they change the palmrest area for free, no questions asked, even if you are outside of AppleCare, if it starts exhibiting the bizarre staining issue. Hoo-hah.

Now the only thing that occurs to me is that my local Apple Authorised Service Provider may only have German and USA keyboards, no UK ones... If that is the case I shall wait until September. But either way, it gets replaced for free. Hoo-hah again.
( Last edited by megasad; Jul 6, 2007 at 07:43 PM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 05:19 PM

Use some Bon Ami VERY carefully/lightly to clean with a damp sponge. Worth a try, not sure if it will work though.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 06:04 PM

Wow thats really something, the very first thing that I would try to do is use an ammonia based cleaner like Windex and see if it can take off the blue spots. Try talking to an authorized Apple dealership and talk them into replaceing the top cover, especially if you still have the 14 day grace period.

Other than that try giving the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser a try, alot of people seem to be having alot of luck with it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 06:17 PM

I work for a school district that owns around 3000 Macbooks.

A large (and I mean LARGE) majority of our Macbooks are showing this problem. It does not have to do with improper treatment of the Macbook. As far as we can tell, it has to do with how the paint was applied to the top case at the factory (as to why it turns different colors, no clue). This is not a stain, it is actual wearing off of the paint over the plastic. No amount of washing/rubbing will get rid of the issue.

Apple is fully aware of the issue and will replace the top case for free on a Macbook that is showing any sort of discoloration on the top case. Take it into Apple. We're actually getting Apple to come out to us and replace the top cases on our Macbooks with ones that are supposedly immune to the issue.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 08:31 PM

Damn this just goes to show the poor build quality of Macbook's out there, especially the lower priced white Macbook's

Apple should really invest more money into making these Macbook's in higher quality materials like better quality plastics and paint. Really, you would think that Apple promoting there "Pro" range like the Macbook Pro and the Mac Pro, they should really focus on making sure that the consumer level Macbook is higher quality. As I understand it, the Macbook is the major cash cow for Apple in terms of notebook sales.

Cold Warrior
Jul 5, 2007, 10:52 PM

This sounds like the staining problem afflicting first-gen MacBooks. Apple recently fixed mine, although I was a few days under the 1-year warranty on this stuff.

However, my understanding is that they're open to fixing it regardless of time limit. You might bring that up.

Here's Apple's page on MacBook discoloration: About white MacBook palmrest area

robshoy
Jul 8, 2007, 06:32 PM

That kind of looks like what happens to all of my white headphones after being in my jeans for a while. :-P

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 06:21 PM

Warranty or no warranty, call apple. See if they go for it. Don't tell them the color of the stains unless they ask.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

2004G4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 06:41 PM

I thought I was the only one. I'm having this same problem (blue discoloration) with my macbook and I'm quite sure my hands are clean.

Dawgs2010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 12:31 PM

Try iKlear you can get it at the Apple Store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules