Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > September 5th

September 5th
ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 02:03 PM

I'm suspecting that:

1) The Beatles library will be added to iTunes

2) New iPods that have the iPhone iPod interface

Those new iPods would be new models. I'm hoping that, at least, they have widescreen.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 02:29 PM

I think that we'll see new Nanos, but no new full Video iPods. New additions to iTunes library, as you said.

I have no real basis for my predictions, but I got my ear to my gut.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 02:32 PM

Let's not forget the Yellow Submarine iPod.

ChrisB  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 02:39 PM

I think that the Apple Invite graphic was somewhat descriptive. I'm not sure how much credit I would give to that photo of five iPods on AppleInsider last week.
Chris Brown

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2007, 02:56 PM

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 03:26 PM

I think since they showed coverflow that must mean something... I'm guessing they might announce new touch screen iPods but I think it will be a little while longer before we can get our hands on them. I really hope they add the Beatles and this may sound random but I wish they would add Zeppelin.
( Last edited by MacinTommy; Aug 29, 2007 at 03:37 PM. )

ChrisB  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Since today's announcement, on the front page of the website, is in direct regards to September 5th, I don't see a problem. Thanks for your concern.
Chris Brown

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2007, 04:03 PM

The front page also includes the words 'special event' along with the 5th -- so there's the clarity.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 04:05 PM

Calm dawn thread title nazi.

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2007, 04:29 PM

Whatever you say.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 04:32 PM

Oh gnoes, a rollseyes

ChrisB  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 04:36 PM

What do you think the "one more thing" might be?
Chris Brown

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 04:44 PM

I don't think this is a Keynote per se. I thought he only did the OMT thing (thats right, I anagram'd it) during the big Keynotes.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
I'm suspecting that:

1) The Beatles library will be added to iTunes

2) New iPods that have the iPhone iPod interface

Those new iPods would be new models. I'm hoping that, at least, they have widescreen.

I'll bite on: new video-capable squatty-shaped nano with screen size the same as current video iPod; new full-size iPod with HDD, iPhone iPod interface, similar form factor and wide screen -- but if there's WiFi in there, no Safari, no e-mail, no YouTube, no maps, it'll either be used to buy from the iTunes Store or something else, like a remote streaming (doubtful) or remote control (not too likely either) feature -- not sync'ing; you ever sync'ed 2GB of media over WiFi? Apple was right not to do WiFi sync'ing for the iPhone -- features that will then be added to iPhone as well, that day or very soon after. Frankly, I'm betting no network technology at all in the new iPod, that you'll essentially get HDD-based storage with the iPod interface from the iPhone in a device that looks more or less like an iPhone but not quite; probably standard plastic iPod screen, not iPhone lens glass, too -- so get some of those screen protector sheets. And it will be expensive. Like $400, maybe $350 for openers. Also, probably require new dock and not just a dock-adapter for the, ahem, "universal" dock and will probably at least work with if not require the new tiny iPhone-style USB power adapter, neither of which will come with it.

And I wonder if they'll drop video out, since there's not much reason the iPhone can't do composite video out except for the fact it doesn't -- at least the firmware won't allow it; perhaps the hardware is there. Do people use video out? I do on my video iPod, more than I ever watched anything on the device itself. Wish my iPhone had it, although you can really watch stuff on its screen. But I admit since we bought an Apple TV I use video out on the video iPod a lot less.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 02:28 PM

The Beat Goes On is also a newly leaked Madonna (ft. Pharrell) track. It's possible that Apple has some sort of an exclusive on it and is using the title of the event as a bit of a jab at the Beatles.

ChrisB  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 03:33 PM

I didn't know that. Madonna would be cool. But, I still think it's Beatles related, since all of the coverflow art on the graphic is all Beatles related music.
Chris Brown

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2007, 06:13 PM

Apple recently made a deal with the Beatles label to allow their collection to be sold on iTunes, didn't they? I would highly doubt Apple would take a jab at them after that. Especially with someone like Madonna. She's not exactly the hottest thing at the moment.

Also, not all the album art on the invitation is Beatles.

I see Beastie Boys (The Mixup), Jack Johnson (In Between Dreams), The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots). In fact, are there even any Beatles album covers at all on there?

ChrisB  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 11:42 PM

I see the Yellow Submarine art.
Chris Brown

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
I see the Yellow Submarine art.
Is that the one immediately to the right of the center graphic? I couldn't quite place that one. (I know, I'm a horrible Beatles fan)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 01:38 PM

That's not the Yellow Submarine cover.

However, the Apple album cover is *just* after "Beastie Boys", and the text is a word-play on "Beat" music "going on" iTunes...?

I mean, McCartney's on. Lennon's on. ...?

My two cents.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2007, 02:28 AM

So the rumors about the new 'fat' iPod nano seem to point in the right direction.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 03:03 AM

"Beat goes on"

Huge event planned

New short nano

Clearly they've landed Sony and Cher
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Let's not forget the Yellow Submarine iPod.
Hmmm... How about a "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" iPod?

"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
Hmmm... How about a "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" iPod?

Complete with acid tab dispenser. Far out!

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
So the rumors about the new 'fat' iPod nano seem to point in the right direction.

Hmmm.. This seems odd. I wonder if this company got let in on the new iPod (nano?) form, and made cases for the launch, or if this is a bluff. Maybe they just saw the "leaked" images and did some photoshop work on their current cases and posted them to get orders.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 03:04 PM

If the wide/fat iPod is indeed the new iPod, then it will be the ugliest Apple has ever produced. And after the iPhone, it's going to look dated at launch. It just doesn't seem like Apple, but I'm starting to think this might be real. :-/

robshoy
Sep 1, 2007, 03:19 PM

My prediction is pretty optimistic I suppose, but Apple clearly reads what we say. In fact, I bet Steve has a dedicated team, or at least one guy, to scope out rumors and see what we, the consumers, really want. And this is a pretty good summary in my opinion of what everyone seems to collectively want.

1) A Fat iPod. Fat iPod, not Nano. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to completely ignore the Nike+iPod thing after they've established a solid market for it. It'll be the replacement for the 5th Generation iPod, call it a 6th Generation if you want. It'll be relatively thin, maybe even Nano-thin. Have a 5G sized screen for video playback. It'll come in 16GB and 32GB, both flash. I'm thinking it'll cost something like $200 and $300.

2) The Nano line will be fixed up a bit. No new Nanos, but new prices. The 2GB version will be completely discontinued, and the 4GB will replace it at $150. The 8GB will also be priced at $200 now, a step down from its current $250 price point. The (RED) iPod will still be offered, and will now mirror the new costs of the 4GB and 8GB Nanos.

3) A new iPod will be introduced. Call it the iPod Touch if you want, that seems to be the consensus amongst the rumor sites. The new iPod will look practically identical to the iPhone, except a few very minor differences. The metallic border around the screen will be black plastic, and the screen will be more flush. These aspects were leaked by 9to5mac.com, and for the purpose of this prediction, let's pretend they have some truth to them. The new iPod will have the same screen as the iPhone. It will have the same iPod application as the iPhone, along with an accelerometer for coverflow and such. It will also have the same photo application, the same calendar app, notes, and maybe a dedicated games app. It will have WiFi, but no internet browser or Google Maps functionality, instead Apple will introduce that same day a Wireless iTunes store function, giving you the ability to access the store and buy music, videos, and update your podcasts from anywhere with a WiFi network access point. The same day, an update for the iPhone will be released to do this as well.

4) The iPod Shuffle line will not be changed, but the colors may change to reflect the new colors rumored to be added to the Nano line. A (RED) Shuffle will also be introduced.

That's my prediction. Or let's say, that's my wish. If the Apple Gods feel like granting it, that would be great. If not, let's hope whatever they do announce thrills us as well.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Complete with acid tab dispenser. Far out!
A Digital Pez dispenser?

robshoy: I like your ideas.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

ballison
Sep 2, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
My prediction is pretty optimistic I suppose, but Apple clearly reads what we say. In fact, I bet Steve has a dedicated team, or at least one guy, to scope out rumors and see what we, the consumers, really want. And this is a pretty good summary in my opinion of what everyone seems to collectively want.

1) A Fat iPod. Fat iPod, not Nano. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to completely ignore the Nike+iPod thing after they've established a solid market for it. It'll be the replacement for the 5th Generation iPod, call it a 6th Generation if you want. It'll be relatively thin, maybe even Nano-thin. Have a 5G sized screen for video playback. It'll come in 16GB and 32GB, both flash. I'm thinking it'll cost something like $200 and $300.

2) The Nano line will be fixed up a bit. No new Nanos, but new prices. The 2GB version will be completely discontinued, and the 4GB will replace it at $150. The 8GB will also be priced at $200 now, a step down from its current $250 price point. The (RED) iPod will still be offered, and will now mirror the new costs of the 4GB and 8GB Nanos.

3) A new iPod will be introduced. Call it the iPod Touch if you want, that seems to be the consensus amongst the rumor sites. The new iPod will look practically identical to the iPhone, except a few very minor differences. The metallic border around the screen will be black plastic, and the screen will be more flush. These aspects were leaked by 9to5mac.com, and for the purpose of this prediction, let's pretend they have some truth to them. The new iPod will have the same screen as the iPhone. It will have the same iPod application as the iPhone, along with an accelerometer for coverflow and such. It will also have the same photo application, the same calendar app, notes, and maybe a dedicated games app. It will have WiFi, but no internet browser or Google Maps functionality, instead Apple will introduce that same day a Wireless iTunes store function, giving you the ability to access the store and buy music, videos, and update your podcasts from anywhere with a WiFi network access point. The same day, an update for the iPhone will be released to do this as well.

4) The iPod Shuffle line will not be changed, but the colors may change to reflect the new colors rumored to be added to the Nano line. A (RED) Shuffle will also be introduced.

That's my prediction. Or let's say, that's my wish. If the Apple Gods feel like granting it, that would be great. If not, let's hope whatever they do announce thrills us as well.
*begin jerk*
Im sick and tired of people saying that this and this and this and this will happen, when there is not a single bit of fact in there. please do us all a favor and just say that this is what you want and not "this is what will happen"

*end jerk*

robshoy
Sep 2, 2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ballison View Post
*begin jerk*
Im sick and tired of people saying that this and this and this and this will happen, when there is not a single bit of fact in there. please do us all a favor and just say that this is what you want and not "this is what will happen"

*end jerk*
Skimming through a post and then commenting is being a jerk. I said prediction like 3 times in there. And I said in the first sentence that it was just an optimistic prediction. I never said that this will or will not happen. But according to my prediction, that's what would happen. It's just a prediction, like I said. And did you read the end? "That's my prediction. Or let's say, that's my wish." I never said that this will definitely happen or not. It's just what I want and see as realistic.

ballison
Sep 2, 2007, 02:01 PM

Skimming through a post and then commenting is being a jerk. I said prediction like 3 times in there. And I said in the first sentence that it was just an optimistic prediction. I never said that this will or will not happen. But according to my prediction, that's what would happen. It's just a prediction, like I said. And did you read the end? "That's my prediction. Or let's say, that's my wish." I never said that this will definitely happen or not. It's just what I want and see as realistic.
I read all of it its just the stuff in the middle it gets to me sorry im cranky today haha

freudling
Banned
Sep 2, 2007, 08:48 PM

My opinion:

Apple will, on this 5 September, 2007:

1. Release th new "fat" iPod Nano
2. Release Video iPod (full screen)
3. Update storage capacity in their shuffles to 4 GB

Logic: from some evidence (leaked photos), we have reason to believe that the Fat iPod Nano is a reality. If it is real, then we can infer that it is a mix between the current iPod Video and the current iPod Nano. This leads one to infer that the higher end, iPod video will in fact be a full screen iPod: why would they keep it the same form factor if the iPod Nano is going to be virtually identical, but more compact?

More reasons to believe in a full screen iPod: iPhone already out, technology in place. Articles and reports from insiders talking about production, and how some form Mac OS X is going to be running on all these units.

Of course, I could be wrong, but the releases mentioned do seem likely.

Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 09:08 PM

I bet Apple leaked the fake nano just so everyone would be in an uproar and will love their new elegant, beautiful nano so much more. And if the fat nano is true, it's been a bad summer for Apple in terms of leaks... keyboard first, then nanos... what next?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 09:36 PM

I think it's safe to say that at least #1 and 3 will happen. The iPod video sorely needs an update. I would love a (RED) shuffle, although I'd be ticked because I just got a blue one not to long ago...

iM@k
Senior User
Sep 2, 2007, 09:52 PM

*Oh why the hell not....I don't believe this, and it doesn't make any sense to me, so I'm going to throw it out to all of you to chew over*

Okay, so here's an odd tidbit for all of you courtesy of an electronics retail manager I know: Apparently the new iPods will in fact be released on Tuesday the 4th, While something else (Beatles announcement?) will happen on the 5th.

I'm calling BS on this, as I don't feel that the new iPods or the Beatles announcement have enough content to warrant a solo show at Moscone. Besides doing them together is much more logical.

The only thing that makes sense to me is if he got a note saying the new ipods would arrive at his store on Tues, but should be held till Weds, and he mis read it.
What, me worry?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
*Oh why the hell not....I don't believe this, and it doesn't make any sense to me, so I'm going to throw it out to all of you to chew over*

Okay, so here's an odd tidbit for all of you courtesy of an electronics retail manager I know: Apparently the new iPods will in fact be released on Tuesday the 4th, While something else (Beatles announcement?) will happen on the 5th.

I'm calling BS on this, as I don't feel that the new iPods or the Beatles announcement have enough content to warrant a solo show at Moscone. Besides doing them together is much more logical.

The only thing that makes sense to me is if he got a note saying the new ipods would arrive at his store on Tues, but should be held till Weds, and he mis read it.
No offense, but a regular retail manager doesn't have access to that information.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 04:00 AM

More suggestions...

the fat nano

the video iPod that now looks like an iPhone

robshoy
Sep 3, 2007, 05:05 AM

Can we please just call the 9to5mac iPod touch mockup a spy shot so I can pretend it's realy for 2 days? It's just so perfect... it's such a perfect ad too. Please please please be real...

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2007, 03:25 PM

The mockup might be nice, but the poster/ad/whatever that thing is supposed to be is just lame (the one with E.T. touching Elliot).

robshoy
Sep 3, 2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
The mockup might be nice, but the poster/ad/whatever that thing is supposed to be is just lame (the one with E.T. touching Elliot).
I disagree, I think the E.T. ad is brilliant.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 05:41 PM

It would be if you could use it to phone home, which you can't.

cherry su
Sep 3, 2007, 05:51 PM

With so many *hypothetical* versions of iPod, it's beginning to sound like Vista Erm...what a crude comparison

We have the iPod shuffle, nano, fat, and touch. Vista has Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate.
MacBook Pro T2500/1.5GB/100GB/256MB  iPod 20GB B&W  Mac mini 1.25/256MB/40GB/32MB  Dell 2.66/2GB/80GB/Intel Extreme Gfx

robshoy
Sep 3, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by cherry su View Post
With so many *hypothetical* versions of iPod, it's beginning to sound like Vista Erm...what a crude comparison

We have the iPod shuffle, nano, fat, and touch. Vista has Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate.
Good point, except the iPods are good, at the worst they're decent. Vista is just... ick.

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 08:35 PM

Is there anyone here who is *not* in favor of a "touch" iPod? I really only use my first-generation 4GB iPod mini in the car and like the tactile feedback of the click wheel (I can skip a song without looking at the iPod). I'd be happy with a thinner-but-fatter iPod 16GB nano. But then, I guess the nano is least likely to go "touch" anyway as it's less expensive than the top 'o the line iPod.

I've considered performing a CF card upgrade on my iPod mini but might splurge on a new flash-based iPod for (1) a new warranty, and (2) having two iPods with the mini as a backup.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 03:27 AM

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 08:13 AM

What time is the "Special Event"? I need to know when to be at the Apple Store to get my new iPod.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
What time is the "Special Event"?
10 AM Pacific.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 11:06 AM

September 5th, my brother in I will be 1 year older

course we are 13 years apart, I just happen to be the older one. Less time to play with more cool gadgets in the future I guess....

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SeSawaya View Post
September 5th, my brother in I will be 1 year older

course we are 13 years apart, I just happen to be the older one. Less time to play with more cool gadgets in the future I guess....
Damn, way to bring everybody down with ya.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 4, 2007, 11:46 AM

Don't be surprised if leopard gets released early to boost the stocks up!
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Forum Links
Forum Rules