Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Stream Audio

Stream Audio
dynsight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 09:10 AM

Okay, how can I stream audio to an iPhone?

Links on html/Php is one option.. and I can do this (not my favorite, but it works)

ORB works only on PC (won't allow windows in my house!)

Flash not available on iPhone...

any ideas?

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by dynsight View Post
Okay, how can I stream audio to an iPhone?

Links on html/Php is one option.. and I can do this (not my favorite, but it works)

ORB works only on PC (won't allow windows in my house!)

Flash not available on iPhone...

any ideas?
Telekinesis. It's an alpha, but it's functional enough for streaming. It's presently insecure for media streaming, so I'd only use it within your home network and not try to hit your home Mac from outside. The best thing about it is that it doesn't run on your iPhone. It's not a hacked native app. It's totally compliant with Apple's development standards for iPhone. It runs an Apache web server and GUI to its web services on your Mac and you access your Mac via Safari, and browsing through and selecting a compatible media file -- it will even play FairPlay protected AAC files if the iPhone you connect with belongs to that Mac -- brings up the full-screen iPhone media player, not something embedded in a Safari page. Streams movies like you wouldn't believe.

Go here: http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

It has other cool features, too, like control of a built-in iSight for snapshots. Lovely because it proves you can indeed do a ton of useful things with Apple's web-only app development standards for iPhone, if you only try.

dynsight  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 10:37 AM

I will look at telekinesis, BUT I really don't want to be limited to my home network. I can listen to music anywhere in my home by other means. I would like to hear it from remote locations, however.

I am very surprised there isn't another solution. Anything with quicktime server?

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dynsight View Post
I will look at telekinesis, BUT I really don't want to be limited to my home network. I can listen to music anywhere in my home by other means. I would like to hear it from remote locations, however.

I am very surprised there isn't another solution. Anything with quicktime server?
Apparently you can just throw the music and movies in your web share, turn on web sharing, and do it that way. Security of which I don't know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules