Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Help - Getting restore CDs and restoring to factory defaults

Macbook Help - Getting restore CDs and restoring to factory defaults
usnavy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2008, 07:18 AM

I Just Sent Our Last Kid Off To College. We Bought Him An Ibm Compatible And Traded With Him For His Macbook. The Mac Runs Well But Has His 'crap' Everywhere. Of Course He's Lost All Discs (we're Lucky He Still Had The Pc)... How Can I Get Cd's To Restore The Macbook To Original, Either To Sell The Unit Or Keep For Myself? I Like The Macbook But Need To Get Him Off And Myself On The System... Thanks!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 08:12 AM

Buy a copy of leopard and you'll be able to reformat/install the OS. That will clean everything up for you.

ibook_steve
Apr 30, 2008, 11:42 AM

Please do not capitalize the first letter of every word in your posts. That's one step below using all caps, but probably even more annoying to read, besides the fact that it must be really difficult to do (shift key here, and a shift key there, here a shift, there a shift, everywhere a shift shift...).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2008, 12:37 PM

lol.....

Aside from Ol' Macdonald... you could try calling the Applecare line and seeing if they'll send you a new set of restore dvd's. I think they charge like $10. Cheaper than buying a retail copy of leopard. If they won't then you've lost nothing at that point. Or take it to an Apple store and sometimes they have spare restore dvd's around they'll give you. Apple's really good about taking care of their customers.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Please do not capitalize the first letter of every word in your posts. That's one step below using all caps, but probably even more annoying to read, besides the fact that it must be really difficult to do (shift key here, and a shift key there, here a shift, there a shift, everywhere a shift shift...).

Steve
I think the random capitalization is because the forum software has stepped it down from all CAPS.

Yes you will need new restore CDs to re-install the system and remove his data, Leopard may be a worthwhile upgrade unless you're already running it or you can get some restore CDs from Apple, it'll probably cost you though.

Cold Warrior
Apr 30, 2008, 01:29 PM

Testing All Caps And Forum De-capitalization
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Apr 30, 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: yes, it does that)

miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Testing All Caps And Forum De-capitalization
May we have an angliciSation filter as well?

(Grabs coat.)
( Last edited by miawj; Apr 30, 2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: pernickitiness)

usnavy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 09:07 AM

1. To MacosNerd: Thanks for the Leopard hint, I'll look into that.

2. To ibook_steve: I asked for macbook help, not a f&^%*king grammer lesson. If you have nothing supportive to offer, don't reply!! If you have difficulty reading someone's entry just pass on it and keep your comments to yourself!!

miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 09:39 AM

It was a lesson in politeness, not grammar. (You even swore unprovoked in your initial post.) Vulgar child. If you can't post without swearing keep your questions to yourself.

Cold Warrior
May 2, 2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by usnavy View Post
1. To MacosNerd: Thanks for the Leopard hint, I'll look into that.

2. To ibook_steve: I asked for macbook help, not a f&^%*king grammer lesson. If you have nothing supportive to offer, don't reply!! If you have difficulty reading someone's entry just pass on it and keep your comments to yourself!!
Take it to PM if you have issues with another member (in this case, a mod). He was just trying to help you out, and was polite. Don't be an ass on our forums. You'll find people aren't inclined to help angry, rude tweeners.

And it's spelled grammar.

usnavy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 11:26 AM

My apologies to all...and thanks for the leads. I'd never heard of Leopard before, I'll price it out. I'll also call Applecare & try to score discs.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2008, 01:13 AM

I understand. You're coming from PC's where everyone is naturally antagonistic. Trust me I know I've got more accounts on PC forums than I care to remember, and not a whole lot of help just a lot of l33t speak.

Welcome to the lighter side of computers. You are the proud owner of a Macintosh computer. No longer do you need to worry about virus', spyware, M$ bloatware, and general junk. Not only do you not have to worry about your Mac once you get it up and running but you've also happened onto this, the very best of the Mac forums. There are others, none though where you're bound to find the kind of far reaching talent that resides daily and nightly on this board. On this board you'll find some such as I, a lowly windows tech who runs his home and business on Macs. Then you'll find others such as Analogika who makes some of the greatest music on earth on Macs.

So fear not. On this forum all you need is a gentle smattering of patience and some hefty amounts of humor and you'll find all the answers to your questions. Thanks for the apology and welcome to MacNN!

Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

usnavy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome...i have yet to venture to an Apple store to ask for OE discs but will eventually, unless I can afford Leopard software. I love using the MACnotebook. My IBM doesn't run as quickly or effortlessly as this little laptop. It's a blast!

Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 03:49 PM

First order of business: it's a Mac. Capital M, lowercase AC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules