Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VPN connectivity with Microsoft outlook through fusion

VPN connectivity with Microsoft outlook through fusion
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2009, 03:36 AM

Hey guys,

<first off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum; it's kind of both Mac os x / alternative operating systems, so I just chose here>

My dad recently switched to a Mac at his office, but runs windows through Fusion in order to run microsoft outlook and connect to his exchange server at work.

To connect to the exchange server at home, they gave me a disc with a VPN client on it to connect to the server and use outlook at home.

My question is, should I / can I connect to the VPN through the Mac, and then have Windows (through Fusion) just share that connection and have outlook recognize it?

Or should I just install the windows software through fusion and connect to the VPN that way, only connecting to his home internet connection through the mac?

I really have no idea about VPNs or server stuff - don't know which way would be best.

Any help would be really appreciated,

Nodnarb

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2009, 12:57 PM

I use bridged networking in Parrallels, (the Mac and VM have different IP's on the same network) and I have to install the VPN client on windows. I would think you would have to install the VPN client on windows regardless, I know for the Cisco VPN client would now work "sharing" the vpn from the mac to a VM.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2009, 01:22 PM

To keep things simple I would install the VPN client in the VM. That way the VM is connected to his office network but the host Mac OS X environment is not.

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2009, 01:26 PM

Do it in Windows on the virtual machine.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2009, 01:28 PM

Gotcha, thanks guys, I'll do it in windows.

Next question is, does that mean I have to change the networking settings in fusion? Steve was saying he uses bridged, but as of right now I use NAT. Or does this have absolutely nothing to do with the VPN usage?

thanks again

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2009, 01:30 PM

And sorry cold warrior about the wrong forum, like I said I was kinda asking about the VPN capabilities of OS X to see if it could do what I wanted, that's why it was kind of both categories.

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
And sorry cold warrior about the wrong forum, like I said I was kinda asking about the VPN capabilities of OS X to see if it could do what I wanted, that's why it was kind of both categories.
No worries.

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Gotcha, thanks guys, I'll do it in windows.

Next question is, does that mean I have to change the networking settings in fusion? Steve was saying he uses bridged, but as of right now I use NAT. Or does this have absolutely nothing to do with the VPN usage?

thanks again
If what you have works right now, I'd leave it at that. I think bridged mode is Fusion's default at installation, so if Outlook and the VPN have issues, you could try switching Fusion to bridge mode first before other troubleshooting steps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules