Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Identifying anonymous posts in blogger

Identifying anonymous posts in blogger
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 12:38 PM

Ok, first things first, I do not even know if this would be legal, if their unknown identity is sacred, or if I even want to try to figure out.

Basically, there´s this blog (in blogger) I´ve visited for years in which anonymous people (some of them I even know) do not just troll when posting, they wish the very worst to many people I´m close too. I know I should get over it, or stop visiting, but things at times get out of hand and friends (and family, at times) tell me.

Thus, I´m looking for some advice. All I post in the internet is signed with at least my nick, and everything I post in that blog got my google signature that reveals email and identity, I took what I post as serious as I can be. Basically everybody in that community knows me by name, and many personally. I agree that internet needs a high degree of independence and lot´s of its is benefited by not revealing your identity. But to a point in which people wishes bad and speaks trash to a younger brother just because they are envious, this is a bit harsh for me, really.

For some years i wondered about identifying these people so at least i can be as far as then as I can be. Ok, to many this will sound outrageous, impractical, or just idiotic, but at least for once, I asked about opinions about it.

All the best,

cenutrio
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2009, 02:16 PM

My advice is stop taking everything seriously and, probably more importantly, stop giving out your personal information over the internet. You're just asking to be a victim of identity theft.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 04:03 PM

Ditto to what olePigeon said.

Don't take the Internet seriously. If you do, you're going to spend all your time being pissed off at faceless people online.

Yes, yes, I know I'm one to talk. Anyhow.

If the trash-talking turns into legitimate threats on his life and/or safety, and the problems bleed into the real world, then you look into your options for stopping them. If it's just online harassment, however, just disable anonymous commenting and get on with your life.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
If it's just online harassment, however, just disable anonymous commenting and get on with your life.
It appears to be a blog he visits, not one he runs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2009, 05:52 PM

They have no obligation to reveal their identity just because you choose to reveal yours any more than you would be obligated to reveal your social security number to everybody if I gave mine out. You might suggest that the blog disable anonymous comments — that's pretty much all you can do, short of launching a full investigation.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 06:11 PM

And quit using accent marks as apostrophes.

/couldn't resist...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it greatly. I will get used to this somehow.

Well, I use a Mac with spanish keyboard, and english is my third language, somehow I missed I was using the wrong key, thanks for that too.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 02:10 AM

And quit using accent marks as apostrophes.
Have you never seen certain billboard for the GTI Mk V?. The advertisement world has been using accent marks as apostrophes for some years. Never underestimate the power of those suckers.

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 06:17 AM

Hi angelmb, long time no see,

Actually, I had a Mk I, the rabbit convertible, fun car to own, even in Wisconsin...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 09:19 AM

hi cenutrio, ya hace, ya… jjj

Here is what I was referring to… work by Crispin Porter+Bogusky,

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 10:44 AM

Isn't that just a "smartquote" style apostrophe?

Also: that ad is lulz.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 11:20 AM

Yeah, that's a curly apostrophe. The acute accent is more horizontal.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 04:53 PM

Thanks to both of you for that out. You can't never know enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules