Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lion Terminal Oddities

Lion Terminal Oddities
vwgtiturbo
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2011, 10:03 PM

Hello there. I have a Unibody MBP, and ever since upgrading to Lion on launch day, I've noticed some quirky behavior, in regards to the Terminal and Lion's Dock.

I'll try to put it simply... I have my dock on the right (but have tested this on the left as well; it isn't an issue on the bottom, but you'll see why).

If I have multiple apps docked, while running Terminal, and Terminal is the closest window to my dock, I can't right-click the dock icons (e.g. to quit an app or any other context sensitive menu options). Any dock icon that is on the same plane as the Terminal window displays this behavior... The dock simply goes away as soon as I highlight a context menu option with my mouse/trackpad. Now, it doesn't matter if the Terminal is foremost or not. It matters if it is simply the closest window to the dock. Then, if I move another app's window closer to the dock, it works fine.

I created a screen video so you can see what I'm talking about (because even me, knowing what I'm talking about, read the above and it makes little to no sense). The video is at http://deagle.us/files/TerminalWindowQuirks.mov. Sorry, there's no sound (I was at work making the video; didn't want to sound like a weirdo talking to myself).

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue, and if it is related to my upgrading from Snow Leopard, versus clean installation.

Thanks for any insight
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

Forum Links
Forum Rules