Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > In case you missed it, OfficeX Service Pack 1 is out

In case you missed it, OfficeX Service Pack 1 is out
sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2002, 10:18 AM

The updater has officially been posted to Microsoft's Macintosh page
<a href="http://www.mactopia.com" target="_blank">Mactopia</a>

or, here's the direct link to the update page
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/OFFICEX/OfficeX_SR1.asp" target="_blank">Office X Updater</a>
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2002, 10:55 AM

get your cd key ready.....

milhous
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2002, 11:12 AM

From the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/officex/officex_main.asp?EmbFName=sr1_whatsnew.asp&contonl y=1" target="_blank">Office X Website</a>:

Quartz text smoothing

If you are using Mac OS X version 10.1.5 or later, Office can now take advantage of the Quartz drawing engine to smooth the edges of text. Quartz text smoothing makes text on your screen easier to read, but has no effect on printed documents.

10.1.5 ? Yes!
F = ma

bighill
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2002, 01:02 PM

No entourage conduit for PDA? Didn't I read somewhere that one was coming with this update?
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2002, 02:01 PM

From all the "My key doesn't work" issues, I'm wondering weather or not I should install it. I paid for my copy, so it isn't like I SHOULD worry about it, but still, It works fine now...

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2002, 02:12 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bighill:
<strong>No entourage conduit for PDA? Didn't I read somewhere that one was coming with this update?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">July 15.

RonMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2002, 02:28 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<strong>From all the "My key doesn't work" issues, I'm wondering weather or not I should install it. I paid for my copy, so it isn't like I SHOULD worry about it, but still, It works fine now...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You can believe it, I had problems. My CD code no longer works (legal). I even tried several pirated ones. No luck. Re-installed my original version. Everything is ok again...whew!

RonMan

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2002, 02:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by RonMan:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<strong>From all the "My key doesn't work" issues, I'm wondering weather or not I should install it. I paid for my copy, so it isn't like I SHOULD worry about it, but still, It works fine now...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You can believe it, I had problems. My CD code no longer works (legal). I even tried several pirated ones. No luck. Re-installed my original version. Everything is ok again...whew!

RonMan</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Has anyone actually contacted Microsoft and been offered a fix for this issue? If so, please post details here!

pg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2002, 03:16 PM

I work at a large university where we have a campus agreement for all Microsoft software. The CD-Key we have is not working after the SR1 update. This may potentially affect hundreds of our Mac users.

Mike in SD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2002, 03:35 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by RonMan:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

RonMan</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Has anyone actually contacted Microsoft and been offered a fix for this issue? If so, please post details here!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

Mike in SD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2002, 03:37 PM

Not sure what the issue is with all you people with s/n problems. I updated all of our office copies and it worked just fine (of course we actually PAID for our copies of Office X)

We have noticed considerable improvements to Words speed! Woo hoo!

Good luck getting a timely response from MS!

cwagar
Jun 3, 2002, 03:39 PM

I was one of the ones that got their v.X upgrade directly from Microsoft, and the key included with my media was bad. I received a new key directly from Microsoft.

All is well with this upgrade, all apps fired right up with my key in place.

Just FYI.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2002, 05:55 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by cwagar:
<strong>I was one of the ones that got their v.X upgrade directly from Microsoft, and the key included with my media was bad. I received a new key directly from Microsoft.

All is well with this upgrade, all apps fired right up with my key in place.

Just FYI.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I had mentioned before that I went to the Apple Store and finally bought Office v.X, and to no avail, the CD key doesn't work. How's that for being legit M$??

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2002, 07:32 PM

What up wit yous guys? I ran the updater without confirming my cd key. Never had a problem with any MS product for Mac. I bought my office v.x from the Apple Store too, and everything was spiffy right out of the box.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2002, 12:37 AM

I just installed the update and it worked perfectly. The first launch of Word freaked me out because it bounced 12-15 times, but every launch after that was only two or three (much better then before) I didn't have to reenter my CD-Key and the apps didn't lock up. I think this is a pirated only issue or perhaps your key was picked up by M$. Needless to say, things work much better.

I'm still waiting for the Entourage to Palm update...

Furyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2002, 03:41 AM

I have found the new versions of Excel much faster at lauching, opening files, just about everything UI related.

Steve

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2002, 06:10 AM

It was the key. Called MS and they gladly gave me a new key to work with. Freaked me out considering that I only had it two weeks and already the s/n was considered pirated.

sbjordal  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2002, 08:51 AM

FYI, installing the update on Office v.X corporate edition does not require you to enter a new key. infact, it doesn't even require a key to install it in the first place. Kinda cool
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2002, 06:41 PM

I have noticed a big speed improvement in all Office apps. Power Point is especially faster, loading in about 1/3 the original time. Word and Excel are both loading faster as well and feel much snappier overall. Kudos to MS. I really used to bash these guys, but I simply had to face facts: Word and Excel are business essentials, Power Point is becomming so, and Entourage is what let me transition to OS X full time. If I had to use that damn Mail.app I'd have stuck with OS9 (and my Voodoo 5500 graphics card!). High marks to the Mac Team at Microsoft.

Toos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2002, 11:43 AM

The smooth text isn't as cool as I thought. Documents look rocking, but the cursor is not always in the place it should be. I work on 150% zoom and a lots goes wrong there.

sailor41
Jun 8, 2002, 02:06 PM

Just ran the OfficeX Service Pack 1installer on a Ti 667, 10.1.5 over an upgrade Vx over Office 2001. And yes all purchased from either the Apple store or MS direct.

After all the talk of the key code issue I was hesitant to update due to all the disk swapping and key entries that would be required should the update lock me out.

But all the worry was for nothing, it installed fine with no key entry required. Took five minutes. Two thumbs up to MS from me.

Earlier when I upgraded from 2001 to Vx the key code on the Vx disk was invalid. A call to MS remedied the problem with a new key code.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2002, 12:53 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toos:
<strong>The smooth text isn't as cool as I thought. Documents look rocking, but the cursor is not always in the place it should be. I work on 150% zoom and a lots goes wrong there.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I agree, it's definitely not all it's made out to be. It's also annoying in Entourage. Verdana Medium, my default font for email, is much harder to read now. The whole point of fonts like Verdana is that they were optimized for body text at 100%. The optimized bitmaps were made first and then the outlines were made, as opposed to the normal method. Now those bitmaps aren't being used and we're stuck with rendered text. So much for progress.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules