Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Availability of Mathematica

Availability of Mathematica
mudmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2001, 02:29 PM

For those in the community who are interested in, I wrote to Wolfram Research to find out when Mathematica for OS X will come out and if it will be a free upgrade (for those purchasing Mathematica for OS 9 now).

Their response:

Thank you for the information. The OSX version of Mathematica has
not been released yet. It is currently set to be released at the end
of the 4th quarter. If you purchased the regular Mac version now,
all you would have to do is request the OSX version when it is
released and you would receive it for free.
So, it will be coming, just a little later than thought. If you use/want Mathematica, I would encourage you to buy it now (I have). I think people should know that Wolfram has supported Macs since day one and continue too even after others (RSI, Matlab, etc.) have been very dodgey.

Kudos Wolfram!
Meh

Vsx1
Nov 11, 2001, 11:25 PM

Although not specific to Mathematica, Maplesoft the makes of Maple 7 have this to say from their FAQ:

"I did not see anything in the system requirements about Mac OS X. Will Maple 7 work in Mac OS X?

Although Maple 7 should work in Mac OS X classic mode, it is not officially supported on that platform. Differences between OS X classic mode and native pre-OS X operating systems may cause unforeseen problems. Waterloo Maple is committed to the Mac platform. We do intend to support the new OS, but the timing of an OS X release has not been finalized."

FAQ web page
Vsx1
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.appleisp.net/~vsxone

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2001, 12:16 PM

Wolfram also supported NeXT, back in The Day (tm).

Unfortunately, that codebase has probably bitrotted beyond recognition at this point; while they might be able to take some useful stuff out of it, I'd consider it likely that they won't be using that in their port. Whether this means that the Mathematica port will be Carbon, though, is anyone's guess.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 10:24 PM

At WWDC a couple years ago, Wolfram talked about how they were doing Mathematica for X -- the backend would be straght-UNIX, and the frontend would be a Carbon evolution of the Mac 4.x frontend.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Rickster
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2001, 10:38 PM

Wolfram also supported NeXT, back in The Day (tm).
Actually, Mathematica was originally a NeXTSTEP app.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

mudmonkey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2001, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
<STRONG>

Actually, Mathematica was originally a NeXTSTEP app.</STRONG>
I actually have Mathematica 3 on my NextCube, but, I screwed something up a few months ago and it can't find the license anymore. Of course, I've tossed all of the info too. Oh well, I use 4.1 on my Mac.
Meh

Forum Links
Forum Rules