Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any 'new' features in 10.2?

Any 'new' features in 10.2?
JH
Jan 22, 2002, 05:47 PM

With beta copies of 10.2 stating to appear around the net (aledgedly!)I was wondering if anybody was aware of any 'new' features available?

In particular I'm hoping for a spring-loaded folder type action in the column view and Software Basestation/usb printer sharing in X to network with my Toshiba laptop.

Obviously all information will be traeated in the strictest confidence and I realise you won't be speaking from first hand experience

Jeff

Workers Comp Wampa
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2002, 06:04 PM

Well the screen shots from a month ago showed spring loaded folders.

"Braaaaaaaawwww!"

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jan 22, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Workers Comp Wampa:
<STRONG>Well the screen shots from a month ago showed spring loaded folders.</STRONG>
Were they snappy? Also, without sound effects they would seem dull.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 06:11 PM

Well, since it's jumping all the way to 10.2, you'd expect a jump almost as big as the one from 10 to 10.1. I sure hope all of the little bugs get fixed, and it includes some sort of fix for beter compatibility with Classic.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2002, 06:15 PM

Looks like software base station is available now... http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=37&t=001989

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
<STRONG>Looks like software base station is available now... http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=37&t=001989</STRONG>
That's not quite the same, just duplicating it's functionality.

On a different note, interesting to run into someone from Wasilla, as that's where I grew up.

Workers Comp Wampa
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>

Were they snappy? Also, without sound effects they would seem dull.</STRONG>
Hard to tell from a screengrab.

"Braaaaaaaawwww!"

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 06:52 PM

Who really knows? I heard there were speed increases, spring loaded folders but it didn't pay much attention. I'd love a new update, I just don't want to have the "are we there yet" syndrome. The build that I think you are referring to is out of date, something like 2 months old. In software devlopment time, that's old. There was an earlier thread about 'b11', which I read/was told is really 6B11, which is an early December build. I was also told to expect that this will be a more sweeping release than 10.1. When I consider all the things I have been told, I'll adopt a wait and see attitude.

I am sure I could annoy the right people and get the latest build, but I need my machines to run. I'll get excited when they deliver it. Ok. Maybe I'll get a bit more excited as the time draws near,. but since this is supposed to be a summer release, it's a little early for me to get excited.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 07:11 PM

6B23 as been built yesterday..

At least.. that's what shows up on Darwin BugTracker..

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 07:15 PM

<STRONG>

Were they snappy?</STRONG>
Is anything snappy in MacOS X?
Agent69

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
<STRONG>

Is anything snappy in MacOS X?</STRONG>
Only peoples temper

Cheers Edd

KellyHogan
Banned
Jan 22, 2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
<STRONG>

Is anything snappy in MacOS X?</STRONG>
It just took me 30 seconds again to load the Terminal after logging in and waiting for other processes to finish.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 10:50 PM

<STRONG>

It just took me 30 seconds again to load the Terminal after logging in and waiting for other processes to finish.</STRONG>
Isn't this annoying? I don't know what they did to the Terminal application, but it used to load in a quarter of the time in OS X 10.0.1. With 10.1 all other apps launched faster, except the Terminal which takes about 4 times longer. How can they muck up something like that and have it pass quality control testing???????

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2002, 10:57 PM

IT IS A FREAKING BETA!
They always way suck.

MacAttack
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
<STRONG>

Isn't this annoying? I don't know what they did to the Terminal application, but it used to load in a quarter of the time in OS X 10.0.1. With 10.1 all other apps launched faster, except the Terminal which takes about 4 times longer. How can they muck up something like that and have it pass quality control testing???????</STRONG>
I believe the issue with the slow-loading Terminal has to do with the number of fonts installed in your Classic system folder. I read about that in another thread, can't remember where off the top of my head.

When Terminal is launched, the system looks at all the available fonts in your system, including those in your Classic partition/folder. If it comes across a certain type (TrueType?? not sure, can't remember right now), it'll choke and process for a while.

Terminal used to take upwards of 12-20 bounces to launch before discovering this little tidbit...after doing a font cleanout, it now launches in 3 (this is on a G4 Cube with 512 MB RAM...YMMV of course).

Hope this helps!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 11:41 PM

The Terminal is very snappy now!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 11:44 PM

Continuing off topic. Terminal (v1.0) used to take 1-2bounces in 10.0x 4-6 bounces (v1.1)with 10.1. I just used v1.0 and that launched in 1-2 bounces in 10.1. The other day I tried the 1.1 again and it launched 2 bounces. Been using it since.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 12:00 AM

ok i played on a 10.2 beta and its faster, not as big of a jump like the 10-10.1 jump, maybe 1/2 that speed, but its niiice. its stable to. so far the only bug we found was disk copy won't mount .dmg files. just wanted to let yah know that 10.2 is gonan bring more speed to X. Oh an it is installed on a iBook. just a speed update for yah.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2002, 12:09 AM

Can you say anything about new features? Spring-loaded folders still there? Any other new features worth noting? Any dock enhancements?

I'm jonesin' for another point update to OS X...Apple just keeps ampin' this OS up, I can't wait for 10.5 or 11!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 12:12 AM

Liquidity-

What build do you have? And could you give me a "uname -a" from the terminal?

Spring loaded folders? Any interface changes?
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

curmi
Senior User
Jan 23, 2002, 12:35 AM

Do we have more meta-data usage yet?

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 01:37 AM

Isn't this annoying? I don't know what they did to the Terminal application, but it used to load in a quarter of the time in OS X 10.0.1. With 10.1 all other apps launched faster, except the Terminal which takes about 4 times longer.
eheheh
the terminal shipped with 10.1 supports now, more emulation ways.
this is the cause of the slowdown

AIOg3guy
Jan 23, 2002, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
<STRONG>ok i played on a 10.2 beta and its faster, not as big of a jump like the 10-10.1 jump, maybe 1/2 that speed, but its niiice. its stable to. so far the only bug we found was disk copy won't mount .dmg files. just wanted to let yah know that 10.2 is gonan bring more speed to X. Oh an it is installed on a iBook. just a speed update for yah.</STRONG>
Thank You! This is really all I care about. OS X isn't perfect, but feature-wise, I'm happy with it. Just bring on the speed and I will become even more obessively devoted to my iBook.

-Aiog3guy

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2002, 03:42 AM

According to an e-mail I got from Apple the last time I bugged the cocoa feedback e-mail address, they are going to add an API for flavorTypePromiseHFS to Cocoa in the next release...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 11:44 AM

I've heard rumors that USB Printer Sharing might make its OS X debut on 10.2. PLEEEASE let that be true!!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2002, 02:29 PM

From MacOS Rumors:

anon: 10.2 is looking like a Feb/Mar release. Most likely with the new G5 towers in Mar.
anon: Its still a housekeeping release. Speed, tweaks of interface, bug squashing, etc.
anon: But 10.3 onward is where new functionality and features show up. Look for an integrated ability to use the digital hub apps. More customizable abilities of the interface (within reason, NOT SKINS), USB 2.0 support, and better driver support and a few new things never seen on a Mac OS.

Look like 10.2 will be primarily for speed improvement. Could you say "snappier"?

Hemingray
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 04:09 PM

Could you say "snappier"?
I could, but then I'd just be setting myself up like I always do...

...oh hell. Snappier!

SYN
Senior User
Jan 23, 2002, 04:32 PM

ok i played on a 10.2 beta and its faster, not as big of a jump like the 10-10.1 jump, maybe 1/2 that speed, but its niiice. its stable to. so far the only bug we found was disk copy won't mount .dmg files. just wanted to let yah know that 10.2 is gonan bring more speed to X. Oh an it is installed on a iBook. just a speed update for yah.
Any new features? How is sherlock? Spring-loaded folders? Does the finder leverage meta-data more? Contextual menus improvements?

You can't just tell us it's speedier and nothing else!
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

KellyHogan
Banned
Jan 23, 2002, 04:43 PM

Mac OS Rumors and any rumor site can east crap. I'm not even going to think about schedules anymore. Just bring me my updates fast and make them useful. I need a zippy interface that doesn't slow down when I'm connected to the net or when resizing a window. USB 2 is not a priority for me or anyone who has firewire devices.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen the latest up- date yet, but I can tell you - it really feels snappier!

J

KellyHogan
Banned
Jan 23, 2002, 05:07 PM

Someone post pictures. Upload them to somewhere in China where they can't get taken down.

curmi
Senior User
Jan 23, 2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>According to an e-mail I got from Apple the last time I bugged the cocoa feedback e-mail address, they are going to add an API for flavorTypePromiseHFS to Cocoa in the next release... </STRONG>
CharlesS, what does this mean exactly?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2002, 05:56 PM

<STRONG>Someone post pictures. Upload them to somewhere in China where they can't get taken down.</STRONG>
Those pictures was the one that looked like they were photoshopped. I think some of them are real but spring-loaded folder, I'm not sure...

I have it a while ago but nobody want it so I deleted it. I'm sure some website still have it, even SpyMac or MOSR since Apple Legal hasn't asked them to take it down yet.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by curmi:
<STRONG>Do we have more meta-data usage yet?</STRONG>
I don't get all the damn fuss about meta-data. I use OSX in an OS9 and Windows environment, dealing with media files and miscellaneous documents created on many different machines, and I have no troubles.

I may be misunderstanding meta-data, but it seems like whatever it is, I am getting along fine without it.

I remember the huge debate about it a few months ago when there were a few petitions going around, but I never took the time to educate myself as to what it was, and which side I should be on.

I couldn't care less about meta-data right now, all I want is speed and USB Printer Sharing. OSX is awesome.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 07:22 PM

yah spring loaded folders where there, and all the other little odds and ends u have been hearing/seeing about. I am gonna go to my buds house and get the build number for yah. I can't afford to put it on my G4, yet but when the builds get a bit higher i will. Until then we will play with it on his iBook.

SYN
Senior User
Jan 23, 2002, 07:23 PM

I never took the time to educate myself as to what it was, and which side I should be on.
I don't get all the damn fuss about meta-data

SYN
Senior User
Jan 23, 2002, 07:26 PM

. Until then we will play with it on his iBook.
could you give us a detailed report of what seems new?

also, try using iTools whilst in the Finder and tell if it hangs still.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 07:29 PM

for the most part after playing with this build is i think 10.2 is more speed, with a few extra goodies and bug fixes galore, 10.3 is gonne be the 8.5 of the os x's. 8.0 was kool looking, 8.1 fixed alot of stuff 8.0 missed, and 8.5 added all the kool stuff if you 'member.

KellyHogan
Banned
Jan 23, 2002, 07:30 PM

<STRONG>yah spring loaded folders where there, and all the other little odds and ends u have been hearing/seeing about. I am gonna go to my buds house and get the build number for yah. I can't afford to put it on my G4, yet but when the builds get a bit higher i will. Until then we will play with it on his iBook.</STRONG>

When you drag a file on a folder and it springs open is there an animation? Is the operation fast?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 07:47 PM

i wanna know if they finally put some stupid controls in for the iSub which sounds like crap in OS X

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2002, 07:59 PM

<STRONG>for the most part after playing with this build is i think 10.2 is more speed, with a few extra goodies and bug fixes galore, 10.3 is gonne be the 8.5 of the os x's. 8.0 was kool looking, 8.1 fixed alot of stuff 8.0 missed, and 8.5 added all the kool stuff if you 'member.</STRONG>
Wonder if they'll skip right ahead and name it 10.5.

A few more posts like this and we'll have folks clamoring for news on 10.3 when 10.2 isn't even out yet.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2002, 08:05 PM

I just hope that Apple does not release 10.2 a little rushed. I would rather them stick it out to make a better OS update rather than releasing an early and unfinished version that gives people the right to claim that they already have OS 10.2 up and running.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by curmi:
<STRONG>

CharlesS, what does this mean exactly?</STRONG>
In the old Mac OS, there were two drag flavor types you could send to the Finder to drag and drop something to it from your program. The two types were flavorTypeHFS and flavorTypePromiseHFS. You sent flavorTypeHFS if you were dragging a file that already existed, and the Finder would take that file and move or copy it wherever the user dragged it. If the file didn't exist yet, but you were going to create it, you sent flavorTypePromiseHFS to promise that the file would exist in the future. Using this, you could get the location in the file system that the user was trying to drag the file to, and then make the file there yourself.

In Cocoa, using flavorTypeHFS (like so many other things about Cocoa) is absolutely beautiful in its simplicity. You only need to override one method, and in that method you only need to get the pathnames of the files the user wants to drag, and you write them on the pasteboard. The pasteboard manager automatically converts the filenames to flavorTypeHFS, sends them to the Finder, and the Finder moves the files. However, there isn't currently any way to send flavorTypePromiseHFS to the Finder with Cocoa, so if the file doesn't exist yet, you're out of luck unless you can make it faster than the pasteboard manager can ask for the filename.

Basically, the upshot of this is that if they add a Cocoa API for sending flavorTypePromiseHFS, I could add support for drag and drop to Pacifist, so you could drag and drop a file right out of a package directly to the Finder, and it would promise the file, get the drop location, and then extract it to whatever location you dragged it to. Also, this would allow Cocoa FTP clients like Gideon and osXigen to support drag and drop to the Finder instead of having to open up a separate window with your file system in it like they currently do. Ever noticed how you can drag and drop a file to the Finder from Fetch, Interarchy, or Transmit, but not from Cocoa FTP clients? This is why. If Apple includes an API in Cocoa for flavorTypePromiseHFS, the world will get so much better for drag and drop, and since I am a huge fan of drag and drop, with D&D being the #1 feature I've wanted to add to Pacifist since I started the project, I am more excited about the addition of this API than any other feature Apple could add to the OS, even spring-loaded folders (which I'm also excited about).

And I received an e-mail from someone at Apple claiming that they were working on such an API for the "next release," which in all probability means 10.2! I hope this ends up being the case, and that this doesn't get delayed for a later release, because if it's true, this, combined with spring-loaded folders, will make 10.2 the most kick-ass update to OS X yet, even better than 10.1!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

msykes
Senior User
Jan 23, 2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>I just hope that Apple does not release 10.2 a little rushed. I would rather them stick it out to make a better OS update rather than releasing an early and unfinished version that gives people the right to claim that they already have OS 10.2 up and running.</STRONG>
Luckily I think exactly that is happening... a few weeks ago I read several reports (granted mostly on rumors type sites) that the 10.2 release was going to be delayed a few months as Apple was aiming for a higher level of quality control.

They really needed to get 10.1 out fast because 10.0.x was so slow... but I don't think too many people are dying for 10.2 the same way they were dying for 10.1

msykes

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 09:15 PM

Liquidity X
Since your playing with 10.2 can you respond to BTP's request of the 22/1/02
"What build do you have? And could you give me a "uname -a" from the terminal?"

Marienbad
Jan 23, 2002, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by msykes:
<STRONG>

Luckily I think exactly that is happening... a few weeks ago I read several reports (granted mostly on rumors type sites) that the 10.2 release was going to be delayed a few months as Apple was aiming for a higher level of quality control.

They really needed to get 10.1 out fast because 10.0.x was so slow... but I don't think too many people are dying for 10.2 the same way they were dying for 10.1</STRONG>
&lt;AOL mode&gt; I have to chime in with my agreement. &lt;/AOL mode&gt; I've been perfectly happy with 10.1 -- a few niggles here and there but generally stable and fast enough. (G4 450, 512 megs ram.) I'm looking forward to 10.2 for the spring-loaded folders and some other improvements but I'm perfectly happy to wait for Apple to get it right.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2002, 12:31 AM

For those who have played with 10.2, does it involved a complete reinstall of the OS, or is just a simple little update?

Is it possible to install it w/out getting rid of 10.1 or do you have to completely backup all your stuff and reformat just to install 10.2?

Thanks for any insight.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2002, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
<STRONG>For those who have played with 10.2, does it involved a complete reinstall of the OS, or is just a simple little update?

Is it possible to install it w/out getting rid of 10.1 or do you have to completely backup all your stuff and reformat just to install 10.2?

Thanks for any insight.</STRONG>
It will probably be just like every other major OS release... it will install on top of/update previous versions... it probably WON'T be a download, and most likely will be a "pay-full-price-for" release for EVERYONE.

Hemingray
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 01:13 AM

Maybe it's just me, but 10.1 does NOT seem fast enough.

So if there's any chance of some "snappier" action going on in 10.2, I'll be waiting just as eagerly.

Hemingray
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
<STRONG>

....it probably WON'T be a download, and most likely will be a "pay-full-price-for" release for EVERYONE.</STRONG>
Carracho, anyone?

Forum Links
Forum Rules