Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hide Running App's Dock Icon?

Hide Running App's Dock Icon?
SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2002, 02:28 PM

Hey all -

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to stop a running application from showing up in the dock.

Specifically, I'm using EarthDesk for my desktop picture, which doesn't update unless the application is running. I have the application set to launch at startup in the background and really don't need it's icon constantly taking up dock space.

Is there a resource edit or something I can do so that the application still runs, but just doesn't show up in the dock?

Thanks.

-S

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2002, 02:56 PM

If you add the following lines to the Info.plist inside the contents of an application, you will get the results you seek. Keep in mind that this will make your application into a daemon process; you will not be able to interact with it. I'm not familiar with EarthDesk, but I assume that it is a desktop-background type application? If so, and if you don't ever need to actually interact with this application, then add this into Info.plist:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
&lt;key&gt;NSBGOnly&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;<font color = blue>1</font>&lt;/string&gt;
</font>[/code]

If you ever need to mess with this application again (i.e. you need to adjust some preferences or something), just remove those two lines. Voila.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2002, 03:04 PM

Can't even seem to get to Info.plist.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2002, 03:36 PM

Sorry, man... you are right. I didn't know EarthDesk was a Carbon application; for some reason, I assumed it was Cocoa. No dice, man. Sorry.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2002, 06:12 PM

You could also try adding this application to your login items (login preferences pane) and then set it to be hidden when it loads by using the hide option.

The only problem with this is that when the application loads at login you won't be able to interact with it to set preferences and so on. If you ever do need to interact with it's settings, all you need to do is unchek the hide option and login again.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by rgoer:
<STRONG>Sorry, man... you are right. I didn't know EarthDesk was a Carbon application; for some reason, I assumed it was Cocoa. No dice, man. Sorry.</STRONG>
You're mistaken; there are dice. He needs to edit the app in Resorcerer or ResEdit and edit the plst resource instead. It's functionally equivalent to the Info.plist file.
I abused my signature until she cried.

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Scrod:
<STRONG>

You're mistaken; there are dice. He needs to edit the app in Resorcerer or ResEdit and edit the plst resource instead. It's functionally equivalent to the Info.plist file.</STRONG>
First, thanks a bunch everyone - I appreciate all the help.

Can you tell me where to edit the plst resource, Scrod? I was toying around earlier and thought they might be the same, but there's obviously no "Info.plist" in there - it's all just resource #'s in the editor.

In response to Fotek's comment - I've done just that. But although the application itself is hidden, I essentially have a useless icon sitting in an already-crowded Dock. This application would be so much better if interfaced with System Prefs.

-S

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
<STRONG>
Can you tell me where to edit the plst resource, Scrod? I was toying around earlier and thought they might be the same, but there's obviously no "Info.plist" in there - it's all just resource #'s in the editor.</STRONG>
There will be only one plst resource. It contains only text. That text happens to be what would normally be contained in the Info.plist file of a cocoa app. And what do you mean by "resource #'s"? Are you talking about hexademical code? If that's what you see then you need to view it as ASCII or open it using a template.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Forum Links
Forum Rules