Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 6C35 Build - what's yours

6C35 Build - what's yours (Page 3)
SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 01:52 AM

Anyone have luck installing this on a firewire drive without it corrupting a good 10.1.4 install on your internal? Read in another thread that an install to a FW disk caused startup problems on internal - don't need this messing with my main system.

S

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 03:17 AM

The people who downloaded it from Carracho/Hotline and found no speed boost, nearly no new features, REALLY BUGGY, probably downloaded 6B11, or Mac OS X 10.2b11. That is an old build (around November 2001 I think). Most people here I think are running 6C35, which is much more recent.
In vino veritas.

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 03:34 AM

Now, I am really curious how this thing perform, on g3's with Ati Rage 128 pro/mobility and such video cards, like i.e. my iBook??

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: sniffer ]

Sniffer gone old-school sig

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 09:05 AM

just saw in another threaded that wwdc is 6C37 while we have 6C35......
hotline://hl.chatonly.org
mp3://radio.chatonly.org

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kangoo_boo:
BTW:
a friend installed on it's ibook500 and it's SLOW. slower than 10.1
I think he just don't have quartz extrem and i have it=p [QB]

I have it on a Pismo 500 and it's faster than 10.1. It is definitely not SLOW. Plus, as mentioned previously, you DON'T have Quartz Extreme unless you have an AGP 2X card. Period.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: Mrjinglesusa ]

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
<STRONG>Anyone have luck installing this on a firewire drive without it corrupting a good 10.1.4 install on your internal? Read in another thread that an install to a FW disk caused startup problems on internal - don't need this messing with my main system.

S</STRONG>
Works great. No corruption of my 10.1.4 install on my Pismo 500 when I installed 10.2 on my external Firewire. Boots and runs great.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
<STRONG>

Works great. No corruption of my 10.1.4 install on my Pismo 500 when I installed 10.2 on my external Firewire. Boots and runs great.</STRONG>
Same here. It ran for 2 days without a problem on my iBook 600 (installed it on an oxford 911 120 GB FW drive). Just rebooted to the internal (10.1.4) drive and everything is ok.

edit: i just noticed that when I replied to the thread, I was taken to the last page of the thread instead of the first - woohoo.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: jtc ]

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by kangoo_boo:
<STRONG>just saw in another threaded that wwdc is 6C37 while we have 6C35......</STRONG>
Idon't see how, unless there are two sets of 2 cds. Or are you saying Apple seeded a different build to developers? We all got what was seeded. Why? Because after installing, it asks for you to install cd2.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

williamlimoges
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2002, 01:55 PM

I know this is a bit off topic but I wanted to throw this out there so that it would get everyone buzzing. I'm not certain that Jaguar doesn't support these features but I sent this as a feedback to Apple today. Feel free to comment if you will but more importantly if you feel that I'm on to something here please send feed back to Apple as well!

Here is exactly what I sent to Apple.

"I hate to play Devils advocate, but one of the coolest features in Windows XP is the fact that Explorer can parse out ID3 tags in the Explorer window.

I really would like to see this feature in OS 10.2, In fact I think it would be really awesome if you guys 1 uped them and made a finder view that was specifically for MP3's (Or Media in general) and could give specific folders this view. It could parse out ID3 tags, show album covers, put albums in categories, and create visually interactive play lists that can be seen, have mp3's added to and removed, and played straight from the finder. Maybe even go to the internet and update incorrect ID3 info!!! Man would that kick butt. ^_^

While we are on the subject of ID3 tags I was thinking, would it be possible to use ID3 tags on regular files that are not MP3's to store such information as Dates, Time, comments, Size, Dates needed, categories, relation to other files or applications, URL's to other files or sites, recommended app's for manipulation, maybe even color codes ala OS 9? This would be a cool replacement for dataforks, and is very compatible with other file systems! I think that it would be a very useful!"

Please let me know what you think!
--Will

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: williamlimoges ]

starman
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2002, 02:03 PM

Anyone install Jaguar on an iPod? I'd be interested to see if that works.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by williamlimoges:
<STRONG>I know this is a bit off topic but I wanted to throw this out there so that it would get everyone buzzing. I'm not certain that Jaguar doesn't support these features but I sent this as a feedback to Apple today. Feel free to comment if you will but more importantly if you feel that I'm on to something here please send feed back to Apple as well!

Here is exactly what I sent to Apple.

"I hate to play Devils advocate, but one of the coolest features in Windows XP is the fact that Explorer can parse out IDE tags in the Explorer window.

I really would like to see this feature in OS 10.2, In fact I think it would be really awesome if you guys 1 uped them and made a finder view that was specifically for MP3's (Or Media in general) and could give specific folders this view. It could parse out IDE tags, show album covers, put albums in categories, and create visually interactive play lists that can be seen, have mp3's added to and removed, and played straight from the finder. Maybe even go to the internet and update incorrect IDE info!!! Man would that kick butt. ^_^

While we are on the subject of IDE tags I was thinking, would it be possible to use IDE tags on regular files that are not MP3's to store such information as Dates, Time, comments, Size, Dates needed, categories, relation to other files or applications, URL's to other files or sites, recommended app's for manipulation, maybe even color codes ala OS 9? This would be a cool replacement for dataforks, and is very compatible with other file systems! I think that it would be a very useful!"

Please let me know what you think!
--Will</STRONG>

wuha
don't read it too fast
where will says IDE he means ID3 tags!
well i dunno, i like to have the real files name. may be id3 in preview or something would be cool[/LIST]

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>

Idon't see how, unless there are two sets of 2 cds. Or are you saying Apple seeded a different build to developers? We all got what was seeded. Why? Because after installing, it asks for you to install cd2.</STRONG>
hey know what ?
when i had 10.1 beta's, it just asked CD1 and in final-GM too!
means my beta were finals ?
need to say more ?
btw there is only 1Developper CD in my "package" not 2 like said

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 02:10 PM

oh and for smb i was wrong
just that it doesn't worked like i expected
in fact u need to smb://serverip in order to browse the shares
direct connection smb://serverip;workgourp and blalba doesn't work!
also you don't see the computer in the "network browser"

otherwise performance still sux (less than 1m/s over 100bt... Hotline does 6-7m/s.... and hm .. under freebsd that pc does 9-10m/s to my mac )

JLL
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by williamlimoges:
<STRONG>"I hate to play Devils advocate, but one of the coolest features in Windows XP is the fact that Explorer can parse out ID3 tags in the Explorer window.

I really would like to see this feature in OS 10.2, In fact I think it would be really awesome if you guys 1 uped them and made a finder view that was specifically for MP3's (Or Media in general) and could give specific folders this view. It could parse out ID3 tags, show album covers, put albums in categories, and create visually interactive play lists that can be seen, have mp3's added to and removed, and played straight from the finder. Maybe even go to the internet and update incorrect ID3 info!!! Man would that kick butt. ^_^ </STRONG>
I like to keep my music in iTunes - photos in iPhoto (or something else) and so on.

The only thing missing in iTunes according to your letter is album covers.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2002, 06:42 PM

<STRONG>oh and for smb i was wrong
just that it doesn't worked like i expected
in fact u need to smb://serverip in order to browse the shares
direct connection smb://serverip;workgourp and blalba doesn't work!
also you don't see the computer in the "network browser"

otherwise performance still sux (less than 1m/s over 100bt... Hotline does 6-7m/s.... and hm .. under freebsd that pc does 9-10m/s to my mac )
</STRONG>
But if you turn on filesharing than notice that you can access your homedir from a Windows machine.
It isn't fully functional yet, i think it needs refinement, but it is there.

Also, though cups itself supports printing to smb and lpd printers, it is not yet available in Print Center.
Sharing printers trough SMB etc. doesn't fully work yet either.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 10, 2002, 06:56 PM

<STRONG>

hey know what ?
when i had 10.1 beta's, it just asked CD1 and in final-GM too!
means my beta were finals ?
need to say more ?
btw there is only 1Developper CD in my "package" not 2 like said</STRONG>
Have you installed 10.2? It asks for cd2. 2 cds for X were given out to developers, not sure why you only have 1 cd, you didn't get iTunes, iMovie, Acrobat Reader and some printer drivers. which were on the second CD for OS X client.

Need I say more?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>The cursor has a shadow? Christ...

As for speed, I'll wait and see for myself.

Okay, challenge! Who said this?

(paraphrased): "This build of OSX is SOOO MUCH FASTER than OS9! I can't wait for the PB!"

A cookie for the winner. Clue: Starts with a 'K".</STRONG>
FUH-or ev-AH the optimist. -_^

Sorry... couldn't resist man.

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>

Have you installed 10.2? It asks for cd2. 2 cds for X were given out to developers, not sure why you only have 1 cd, you didn't get iTunes, iMovie, Acrobat Reader and some printer drivers. which were on the second CD for OS X client.

Need I say more?</STRONG>
Need to answer ?
i was talking about developper TOOLS cd

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by The DJ:
<STRONG>

But if you turn on filesharing than notice that you can access your homedir from a Windows machine.
It isn't fully functional yet, i think it needs refinement, but it is there.

Also, though cups itself supports printing to smb and lpd printers, it is not yet available in Print Center.
Sharing printers trough SMB etc. doesn't fully work yet either.

DJ</STRONG>
no i don't i need to do just like i said and it works (of course including my home dir this time)

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2002, 10:31 PM

It rocks!!!!!

hey I just noticed something, im in IE and the new cursor dont work, while when in the finder it does, I click from IE to findar and back and it changes depending on where I am!

MPG4 is here...

-Owl

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 11:06 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
<STRONG>
BTW:
a friend installed on it's ibook500 and it's SLOW. slower than 10.1
I think he just don't have quartz extrem and i have it=p [QB]

I have it on a Pismo 500 and it's faster than 10.1. It is definitely not SLOW. Plus, as mentioned previously, you DON'T have Quartz Extreme unless you have an AGP 2X card. Period.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: Mrjinglesusa ]</STRONG>

Well as mentionned ihave g4 450+ati128 (stock), aka AGP 2X card
:-)
period ?

Phoenix1701
Senior User
May 11, 2002, 04:09 AM

I realize this is a couple days late, but if you're looking for 128x128 webloc icons, you might want to check out my Classic icon set:

You'll also get a bunch of folders, but just open up the rsrc file with Iconographer or something and copy only those resources into HIToolbox.rsrc, and you'll be fine. Hope you like those.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Phoenix1701 ]

kangoo_boo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
<STRONG>I realize this is a couple days late, but if you're looking for 128x128 webloc icons, you might want to check out my Classic icon set:

You'll also get a bunch of folders, but just open up the rsrc file with Iconographer or something and copy only those resources into HIToolbox.rsrc, and you'll be fine. Hope you like those.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Phoenix1701 ]</STRONG>
waho those are nice
i wish it would be by default %)

Forum Links
Forum Rules