Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 10.2 GM Breaks AIM ! - ?

10.2 GM Breaks AIM ! - ?
SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 01:45 AM

Can anyone confirm a bug for me? In 10.2 GM my copy of AIM (the latest beta version) crashes anytime I attempt to put up an away message - no crash message, everything just disappears from the screen and the little triangle under the dock icon goes with it. This happens whether the away window is set to appear as standard or floating.

This wouldn't be an issue if iChat weren't so half-assed. I'm hoping it'll get better and is only lacking in an effort to get it out the door in time; previous (non-GM) builds were so buggy you were lucky to maintain your connection for more than 10 minutes at a time.

S

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2002, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
This wouldn't be an issue if iChat weren't so half-assed. I'm hoping it'll get better and is only lacking in an effort to get it out the door in time; previous (non-GM) builds were so buggy you were lucky to maintain your connection for more than 10 minutes at a time.
People like you need to learn what version 1.0 mean

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2002, 02:58 AM

People need to learn what unreleased software means too. If AOL plans on fixing it, they won't release the fix till 10.2 comes out.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

People like you need to learn what version 1.0 mean
Don't flame me. I've beta tested plenty of software and I'm well aware of what 1.0 means. You must have pretty low expectations or be a PC user to say that "1.0" is an excuse for anything that's wrong with a piece of software. 1.0 does not, by definition, mean buggy and feature incomplete, it just means it is the first public build. And it is my opinion that iChat probably does not have a lot of the features the developers wanted it to have, but they were on a time schedule. Even as recently as MWNY, it was clear that iChat was still not ready for prime-time (Jobs had trouble during his keynote). While I have no doubt that features will be added and bugs fixed in future builds, it does not change what is or is not in the current one. I maintain that while its interface is very cool/slick, iChat has problems keeping a connection, lack of support for things like profiles and buddy list groups, etc. that put it behind other chat clients for the time being.

What's the point if it's not as good as what's currently out there? I think Apple's intention is to have one of the best chat clients out there, and while it's clearly on its way, a little constructive criticism never hurt anybody. For the time being, I see a lot of people going back to AIM, MSN, Adium, Proteus, Fire, or whatever. 1.0 or version 15, that's what we've got and excuses don't change it.

This not to mention the fact that my post was not about iChat, but rather trying to track down a potential bug in AOL's software, which is at version 4.5.651 if you're keeping track. Of course, they're still calling it a beta.

S

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
People need to learn what unreleased software means too. If AOL plans on fixing it, they won't release the fix till 10.2 comes out.
People need to learn how to read.

1) I'm simply trying to confirm whether this bug even exists or if it's unique to my machine.

2) Jaguar GM has been available from Apple's ADC, and AOL's software is beta. As an active tester of both AOL and AIM software (yeah, I actually send in bug reports instead of signing up just to get the software), I think it's worth AOL's while to know about this ahead of time, and I'm trying to get as much info. as possible before sending in a report. If you can't help and are just here to flame, don't bother posting, I don't care how many stars you have under your name.

3) ASIDE from the above, it's time to start considering Jaguar "released," official or not, as the final build is available not only through ADC but to anyone purchasing a new computer. People have already received new macs with Jaguar upgrade CD's included.

It is quite possible for individuals like myself to be running legit copies of Jaguar at this point, I am trying to track down the problems I have with my configuration under 10.2 so that I can find out if there are bugs and if so try to inform developers or obtain a solution from them.

Help or don't, but don't be a smartass trying to act like you're better than everyone because you're waiting until the 24th to slap down your credit card. There are other legit ways to be running this OS.

What the hell is going on here tonight? People need to chill.

S

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2002, 04:08 AM

What the hell is going on here tonight? People need to chill.
Read your first post:

You are the *one* who need to chill. You started a thread about problem with AIM on Jaguar... That's fine. But you decided to go off the point and bash iChat because it is half-assed which is kinda stupid.

I'm a beta-tester for LOT of products too (including AOL and AIM) even from their earliest stage. Did you ever tried AOL 1.0 or AIM 1.0? I did and nope, they're not half-assed. They just lack the most-wanted features. Same goes to iTunes 1.0.

Next time, try and stay on the topic. You could discuss about iChat in one of these many threads. I'm not flamming you or anything, I was simply protecting iChat. You know, baby can be cute but have extremely soft bones

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2002, 04:45 AM

Read your first post:

You are the *one* who need to chill. You started a thread about problem with AIM on Jaguar... That's fine. But you decided to go off the point and bash iChat because it is half-assed which is kinda stupid.

I'm a beta-tester for LOT of products too (including AOL and AIM) even from their earliest stage. Did you ever tried AOL 1.0 or AIM 1.0? I did and nope, they're not half-assed. They just lack the most-wanted features. Same goes to iTunes 1.0.

Next time, try and stay on the topic. You could discuss about iChat in one of these many threads. I'm not flamming you or anything, I was simply protecting iChat. You know, baby can be cute but have extremely soft bones
I don't really see that the guy saying 'half assed' is like some major rant! I think he has a valid point being as iChat is after all not exactly a new concept so even at a 1.0 release you'd expect it to be stable for more than just 10 minutes, it is after all one of the applications we are supposed to be purchasing with Jaguar.

Apple don't 'have' to even take it to version 1.1, so I guess it's best to question what's put in front of us rather than getting over sensitive and trying to shield everything Apple does from any kind of criticism.
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 09:36 AM

Agreed. What's expected in version 1.0 of a chat client these days is a lot different from the early days of X when there were no options to speak of. The fact that Apple is the only 3rd party working with AOL right now and that they have the opportunity to do an awesome job with all these features leaves me frustrated with what we've got. But, like I said, it could've been a rush job to get pushed out with Jaguar and we could be getting and update sooner than we think. It's not even unlike Apple to fix a few bugs here and there on release date.

Now, about that AIM bug...anyone seen it lately?

S

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 14, 2002, 09:47 AM

What's expected in version 1.0 of a chat client these days is a lot different from the early days of X when there were no options to speak of.
You mean 18 months later--these days. Yeah we're in full app maturity now. Every 1.0 ought to be feature complete.

Or do you know what 1.0 means anymore?
1.0 release you'd expect it to be stable for more than just 10 minutes
Reading is fun. The exact quote was previous (non-GM) builds were so buggy you were lucky to maintain your connection for more than 10 minutes at a time. The release version is stable AFAIK. Someone seems upset that a third party app is broken, and is using software before it has been released to the public.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by cowerd:
Or do you know what 1.0 means anymore?
Reading is fun. The exact quote was previous (non-GM) builds were so buggy you were lucky to maintain your connection for more than 10 minutes at a time. The release version is stable AFAIK. Someone seems upset that a third party app is broken, and is using software before it has been released to the public.
I've got the 1.0 version right here and it will continually cut off my chats after about 10 minutes or so (everything looks right as if I'm online, and my messages actually send, but I don't receive anything typed back to me).

I wasn't expecting "refined" at all with iChat 1.0, but I wasn't expecting it to be unusable for me in its main functionality as a chat client. Beyond that, even at 1.0 if a client is this starved for features vs. the 5 or so competitors, what is my compulsion to use it? I can't stand people who will defend and use an Apple product simply because it comes from Cupertino. If anyone but Apple released this product today, I think some of the comments would not be so kind.

By the way, I think you misread what you quoted. When I said "options" there it meant "choices in chat clients," not iChat Preferences. Whereas this would have been the best chat client 18 months ago, it gets trampled by the competition here.

-S

I have yet to see one post that is on-topic and confirms or denies the bug I'm seeing in AIM. If I don't get one soon, I'm going to ask a mod to lock or delete this thread...I didn't start this thing to argue about iChat.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2002, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure about the but that your reported... AIM has always been broken on my system...

Anyway, I hear you when you say iChat is a poor 1.0 release, but so was iTunes and a few other iApps... but the 2.0 release was well worth the wait...

I bet we will see a 1.5 or a 2.0 version within 5 months...

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 05:53 PM

Well it's a real bug, confirmed on 3 other machines, for anyone who cares.

S

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2002, 07:26 PM

Well it's a real bug, confirmed on 3 other machines, for anyone who cares.
For anyone who cares:

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 07:52 PM

For anyone who cares:

Already done, but thanks for contuing to be a smartass.

S

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Aug 14, 2002, 10:22 PM

S
Hey...he may be a smartass..but he's an extremely likable smartass that does a lot for the Mac community.

I think it's a song.. "Stand By Your Mac Smartass."

Hey...we are ALL elitist *******s

-Brad

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 15, 2002, 03:43 AM

Trying to reverse the signal to noise ratio in this thread...

The AIM Away message bug does exist; see the Mac Fix It boards.

And last time I checked the GM build is what is going on the CDs. Or is this going to be another 4K78-like soap opera? (It's not the final version! Is too! Is not!)

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2002, 03:44 AM

S
Thanks, for posting this, proving you weren't one.

Adam is the interface madman of the mac, don't be bashing him so freely, you will get your ass flamed, boy.

*prepares torch*

oeyvind
Senior User
Aug 15, 2002, 09:40 AM

Why don;t just use iChat instead of AIM client?

SpiffyGuyC  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by oeyvind:
Why don;t just use iChat instead of AIM client?
Because, in my opinion, iChat is buggy and feature incomplete ... not ready for prime-time. Adium, however, works fine in X.2

S

Forum Links
Forum Rules