Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Jaguar bug list thread

Official Jaguar bug list thread
pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 05:34 PM

Here are a few ones to start :

- Mounting smb/afp/ftp is broken randomly and crash the system
- Sounds are cut (particularly in Mail when a new mail arrives)
- iChat drag&drop works one time out of ten
- iChat buddy icones randomly updated
- File transfer in iChat randomly fails
- bubbles are not always shown when typing (iChat)
- Custom Energy saver prefs lost when changing to predefined profile
- Super slow copy when using afp (random)

Let's continue the list
( Last edited by pat++; Aug 15, 2002 at 06:04 PM. )

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2002, 05:41 PM

I'm sure this thread has been arund before but...

Not a big gripe, but iChat won't let me send a file to some people. I click on the paperclip and it just throws the system sound at me. Dragging names to the buddy list has worked 100% of the time for me though.

It broke USB Overdrive, but that will get fixed soon I'm sure.

FTP over desktop is iffy at best.

Other than those....It's great! I bought it as well anyway. Gotsta support da Apple

curmi
Senior User
Aug 15, 2002, 06:31 PM

I don't have the final release yet, though the version I have has some bugs but I'm under NDA. So I'll have to wait until next week to see if they are fixed (doubt it) and list them here.

However, please make sure all bugs listed here are ALSO listed at http://bugreport.apple.com - otherwise Apple won't know about them and won't fix them.

raferx
Senior User
Aug 15, 2002, 07:49 PM

mpeg2 encoding in QT6 Pro is bye-bye...
That's all so far.
Cheers,
raferx

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2002, 08:08 PM

When selecting a user to message from the iChat menu extra, it sometimes tries to open a private chat instead of IM (random)

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by pat++:

Let's continue the list
Can someone check MAN to see if it's broken?

Cheers
Scott

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2002, 08:41 PM

Let's continue the list
Most of these have already been reported to apple. The finder ftp at the very least, as well as most of the cosmetic finder bugs are likely to be fixed with an update soon after the official release date.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by midwinter:

Can someone check MAN to see if it's broken?

Cheers
Scott
man is not broken. You broke it with fink.

Originally posted by benh57:

fink's manconf package causes this. manconf is a wrapper for man which (on 10.1) loads a new config file using -C. However apple removed -C in 10.2.

You need to force-remove the manconf package and install the man package from Fink.

dpkg -r --force-depends manconf
fink install man

-Ben
Also, it's not "MAN", it's "man".

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by raferx:
mpeg2 encoding in QT6 Pro is bye-bye...
That's all so far.
First of all, QuickTime 6 was never to have MPEG-2 encoding.

Second of all, MPEG-2 decoding isn't "bye-bye", it's a $20 add on. Apple got raped on MPEG-2 by MPEG LA, and is therefore passing the cost along to customers who really need MPEG-2 software decoding in QuickTime, which is a very, very small part of the customer base (most of whom, in this forum, want to use it to play pirated SVCDs).

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2002, 10:26 PM

Shouldn't it be called the Official Jaguar "Feature" thread?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

man is not broken. You broke it with fink.

Also, it's not "MAN", it's "man".
Jeez, man. Got your defenses up a bit?

I don't have Jag. I'm not running Jag. I have never even SEEN it running in the flesh. I know ONE person who has it, and he has it legally (he's got an FTP key). And I have no intentions of downloading an OS for which I have not paid, especially considering my legally purchased copy will be here soon enough. I'm running neither X-windows nor anything installed by fink.

Hell, I don't even download MP3s. I know well enough that doing so costs people money.

And please accept my humblest and most sincere apologies for what is clearly an egregious error in capitalization.

Anyway, thanks for the info about "man" not being broken. My friend had remarked that Jag broke a ton of things for him, and based on his (poor) experience with the GM, he was dearly worried about Apple's future. It's nice to know that his problems were potentially only his own.

Cheers
Scott
( Last edited by midwinter; Aug 17, 2002 at 02:18 PM. )

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2002, 10:50 PM

no offense to you or your friend but probably most of the stuff that is broken for him is either from a beta that got installed wrong, or something that he setup wrong. I use a full suite of software. Nothing is broken, a few thinks have changed unix wise, to make the compatible with NIX, maybe this is what he means. FTP is also buggy. Let me know. thanks

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2002, 10:54 PM

Spring Loaded Folders is not done. There is no click-and-a-half feature. This was the most common portion of SLF that I used. I don't like having all the finder windows open, but I also don't like having to hold down Option while I'm double clicking a bunch of stuff. I miss it.

In addition, my ixMicro card no longer works even as an unnaccelerated display. I'm rather upset about this. I originally bought a Voodoo3 to use for a second monitor. This card worked under the public beta (though a bit flakey, better than nothing). Under 10.0, it no longer worked at all. So, I bought a cheap ixMicro card, since it was the cheapest card that Apple claimed to support. Now, come 10.2, neither of these cards work anymore (both worked fine under 9). So, now I'm also down from 3 monitors to just one, unless I buy a video card or two. I wish they would just let these things run, however crappy they think the video cards are. I didn't mind the artifacts and flaws on the video cards. They worked. That was enough for me.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Elk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2002, 11:02 PM

SCSI external burner is not working anymore, worked fine in 10.1.5

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2002, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Spring Loaded Folders is not done. There is no click-and-a-half feature. This was the most common portion of SLF that I used.
You can do this type of traversal much more quickly in column view. Maybe that's why Apple opted not to include it.

raferx
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by piracy:

First of all, QuickTime 6 was never to have MPEG-2 encoding.

Second of all, MPEG-2 decoding isn't "bye-bye", it's a $20 add on. Apple got raped on MPEG-2 by MPEG LA, and is therefore passing the cost along to customers who really need MPEG-2 software decoding in QuickTime, which is a very, very small part of the customer base (most of whom, in this forum, want to use it to play pirated SVCDs).
Quicktime 6 Pro does have MPEG2 encoding... WHEN YOU HAVE DVDSPRO...which I have. I have the MPEG2 decoder already... I NEVER SAID DECODING WAS "bye-bye." Everybody has known about the licensing issue for months ... I use the decoder to swap client's DVD files with other contracters I work on DVD projects with... Go and get your flame gun adjusted... it sux.

Cheers,
raferx

raferx
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 01:03 AM

Fixed the MPEG2 issue by re-installing and re-updating DVDSPRO 1.5.1... MPEG2 encoding is back baby!
Cheers,
raferx

barbarian
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 02:01 AM

-iCal, iTunes, iChat and the Address Book all ignore font smoothing prefs.

-Searching for small strings (2 or 3 characters) on a large hard disk can cause an endless spinning blob freeze.

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 03:06 AM

FTP does have issues, but Apple's well aware. There are definite Java issues, particularly in Netscape/Mozilla broswers, but they are also aware and working on a fix. Honestly just about everything else I've used so far except Instant Messaging apps have worked fine. AOL's crashes if you try to put up an away message, and iChat is more of a bug than it is an application right now. Adium, as always, works fine.

S

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 16, 2002, 03:42 AM

Okay, here goes:

�_Retrospect won't work in Jag
� The third party menu extras have been disabled. Menu Extra Enabler 1.0 solves this.
� DAVE X is unusable. You can't even uninstall it in Jag (if you have it be sure to uninstall PRIOR to installing Jag)

Lew
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by barbarian:
-iCal, iTunes, iChat and the Address Book all ignore font smoothing prefs.
iCal, iChat and Address Book look fine to me�
Address Book

iCal

iChat

The only one I can see ignoring the anti-aliasing settings is iTunes. IIRC, all the others are native 10.2 applications which are properly using the new brushed metal options in Interface Builder. Can anyone confirm whether the iTunes that comes with Jag is the same binary that is running on 10.1.x machines? If so then I'd imagine that the next release of iTunes will respect the AA settings

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 05:30 AM

I assume everyone who's used 10.2 for more than 24 hours will have spotted the Finder's lovely rendering bug when icon view windows are kept arranged by name.

For those of you that haven't, I currently have a folder with 10 items with it, the icons for which are spread over 10 lines with an average of 1 icon per line (the icons are 32x32 and the window is about half the width of the screen)!

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 05:35 AM

I just found a new one :

Open a picture with Preview, go to View menu, and select
flip (horizontal or vertical).
Then File->Save as, and press Cancel on the Save panel.
The picture will be back in the original position (before flip)

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 07:40 AM

I just found a new one :

Open a picture with Preview, go to View menu, and select
flip (horizontal or vertical).
Then File->Save as, and press Cancel on the Save panel.
The picture will be back in the original position (before flip)

Nice one. Although the new thumbnail feature outweighs this bug for me.

However, the 10.2 Finder's display is so screwed I'm surprised it shipped. Perhaps Apple's engineers like to have all their icons in a mess and so don't use 'Keep aranged by'.

Peabo
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 08:20 AM

file transfer is broken in iChat (it worked in earlier builds). I can't send or receive files
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Zim
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:

Nice one. Although the new thumbnail feature outweighs this bug for me.

However, the 10.2 Finder's display is so screwed I'm surprised it shipped. Perhaps Apple's engineers like to have all their icons in a mess and so don't use 'Keep aranged by'.
Preview 2.0 I think takes 5 great steps forward, and 20 huge steps backwards...

- dump 10 pictures from digital camera
- select all in Finder
- open with Preview 2.0
- thumbnails.. neat...
- uh.. wait... how do I show 2 pics at a time to know which one to keep????
- um.. how do I close one picture and not all of them?

If they simply made the thumbnail/all-in-one-window optional (a preference) it would be super.

Myself I'll be keepng a copy of Preview 1.1 for use after installing Jaguar. (I only got to play with Preview 2.0 for ~10 minutes)

Oh, and when I went to drag them to the trash... right-click in Finder (list view)... Finder goes into la-la land as you pass down over "Open"... new beach ball shows up... must be the debug code

Mike

Tamen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 08:50 AM

I just found one. if you have a finder window open playing a Mp3 file in the preview pane, and eject a mounted disc image in another finder window, the mp3 will pause. Not stop and revert to the beginning of the file, but pause.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by raferx:

Quicktime 6 Pro does have MPEG2 encoding... WHEN YOU HAVE DVDSPRO...which I have. I have the MPEG2 decoder already... I NEVER SAID DECODING WAS "bye-bye." Everybody has known about the licensing issue for months ... I use the decoder to swap client's DVD files with other contracters I work on DVD projects with... Go and get your flame gun adjusted... it sux.

Uh, you forgot to mention you had DVD Studio Pro...

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 11:23 AM

Preview 2.0 I think takes 5 great steps forward, and 20 huge steps backwards...

- dump 10 pictures from digital camera
- select all in Finder
- open with Preview 2.0
- thumbnails.. neat...
- uh.. wait... how do I show 2 pics at a time to know which one to keep????
- um.. how do I close one picture and not all of them?

If they simply made the thumbnail/all-in-one-window optional (a preference) it would be super.
Apple also has developed some software that works with digital photos and digital cameras. It has thumbnails and different display states. It even does rudimentary and its free. You might try that instead.

ps: its called iPhoto
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

barbarian
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 11:31 AM

>iCal, iChat and Address Book look fine to me�

Turn font smoothing off. On my machines the only apps which actively seem to disregard this setting are the iApps + Address Book. (look at buddy lists in iChat, the name and group lists in Address Book, and any text in iCal).

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 12:44 PM

The SAMBA that is bundled in Shaguar is broken.

Richard5mith
Aug 16, 2002, 12:54 PM

Quartz Extreme effects don't work on an external monitor, such as fading background pictures.

sinebubble
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 12:59 PM

I use a monitor with a keyboard and mouse with my Pismo at work. I discovered this morning that the laptop will not send its default display to a monitor when it's attached. The system boots normally until the finder launches when it suddenly goes to sleep. I can only wake the system up by using the laptop keyboard and then I find the default video on the laptop display.

I have it working now by keeping the lid open and moving the menu bar from the laptop to the monitor under the Displays Arrangement section. Sucks.
Brian

MacBookPro3,1

cwasko
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Richard5mith:
Quartz Extreme effects don't work on an external monitor, such as fading background pictures.
Huh? As opposed to an internal monitor? I'm not really understanding what you mean.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
The SAMBA that is bundled in Shaguar is broken.
Define "broken".

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
There are definite Java issues, particularly in Netscape/Mozilla broswers, but they are also aware and working on a fix.

S
if you remvoe the MRJPluginCarbon.plugin from Mozilla/Netscape (using the contextual package viewer) Mozilla/Netscape will use the java bundled with Jaguar and Moz/Netscape java will then work perfectly.
i look in your general direction

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 01:30 PM

p.s. same for Chimera except that one is called MRJPlugin.plugin.
i look in your general direction

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 02:17 PM

Mail never remembers my password (maybe a keychain issue), and Internet Preferences never remembers my .mac password. Always re-enter, and it erases it again, saying my name or pass are missing (they are not).

Anyone know a plist to chuck to whack the preferences into shape?

Richard5mith
Aug 16, 2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by cwasko:

Huh? As opposed to an internal monitor? I'm not really understanding what you mean.
As in a laptop.

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 04:36 PM

My PowerBook (667 DVI) doesn't seem to be charging under 10.2 ... just realized....initially it wouldn't go over 98% capacity, then I unplugged it just for a couple minutes...plugged it back in and it's now topping out at 97%! Maybe it'll charge when shut down, but it doesn't look like it's doing it while running...

S

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 04:38 PM

Let's continue the list
Although I haven't used iChat much, I must disagree - I have used afp, ftp, and smb, and all have worked flawlessly. Energy Saver works fine (apart from it resizes the titlebar offscreen when it first loads). I did a clean install (as in, erase and install). Painful to migrate all my stuff, but I think well worth it.

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:

Although I haven't used iChat much, I must disagree - I have used afp, ftp, and smb, and all have worked flawlessly. Energy Saver works fine (apart from it resizes the titlebar offscreen when it first loads). I did a clean install (as in, erase and install). Painful to migrate all my stuff, but I think well worth it.
Use iChat for about 10 minutes, and you'll see what all people are talking
about...

Mount an smb disk in the finder. Unplug the ethernet cable (common
operation with laptops). And unmount the disk. This will freeze the finder
at best, or crash OS X.

In Energy Saver pref, configure your Custom profile. then switch to
a predefined profile (longest battery life for example). Then switch back
to custom. All your settings will be lost.

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Richard5mith:
That is probably a symptom of insufficient video memory to handle it. Afer all, to do QFE, the video card has to have memory for both screen images, and all of the texture data being thrown at it. If you have more than 32MB, then you should be able to do pretty much whatever you want.

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 05:03 PM

Use iChat for about 10 minutes, and you'll see what all people are talking
about...

Mount an smb disk in the finder. Unplug the ethernet cable (common
operation with laptops). And unmount the disk. This will freeze the finder
at best, or crash OS X.

In Energy Saver pref, configure your Custom profile. then switch to
a predefined profile (longest battery life for example). Then switch back
to custom. All your settings will be lost.
Well, I never got into chat in the first place - maybe I'll just stay tha way. I think iChat will be great for ad hoc Rendezvous networks - instant file transfer, no settings to configure.

As for network connections dropping killing the OS, now I see what you mean. I have run into that, but it seems to occur with any network drop, not jut smb, ftp, and afp.

And I see what you mean on Energy Saver. Although, once you set up a custom profile,why go back to a predefined one? I agree it needs to be fixed, but your earlier post seemed to indicate it didn't remember prefs at all.

Overall, I'm happy with it.

Group51
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Spring Loaded Folders is not done. There is no click-and-a-half feature. This was the most common portion of SLF that I used. I don't like having all the finder windows open, but I also don't like having to hold down Option while I'm double clicking a bunch of stuff. I miss it.
Open the finder in icon view, double click on the volume and it should open in the same window. This is the same as click-and-a-half drilling, without a file attached.

Or are you saying you have to hold down option to get SLF? I thought you just hovered and waited or pressed the space bar.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
And I see what you mean on Energy Saver. Although, once you set up a custom profile,why go back to a predefined one?
Because you might want a default profile such as 'longest battery life' for when your laptop is powered by battery, and a custom one for when it is connected to the mains. The way it is at the moment, you can only have one profile (albeit with different settings for each power source) selected at once. The user interface doesn't make it clear that this is the case and is generally appalling.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 05:46 PM

LOL.

"DropStuff needs your attention. Please switch to it by clicking on one of its windows or selecting it from the Application menu."

They still haven't changed the wording of this!

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 05:47 PM

Anyone else having the problem of SMB passwords being added to the Keychain but not actually being used by the SMB client next time you try to mount the same share?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2002, 06:02 PM

a bug on my friend's FP iMac that I haven't seen anywhere

�iSub slider in the Sound Output preferences is not labelled and not movable. Mute doesn't work either (nor from the keyboard)

I've worked around this by editing the lower SubLevel tag in the /Library/com.apple.soundpref.plist . It was set at 0.094something by default. Changing it to .494something helped. The Volume slider in the preference panel is still at the same level and still immobile, and the Mute key on the keyboard still doesn't work. But at least he's enjoying his iTunes collection again.

-s*

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2002, 06:33 PM

Here's something you will want to know, while it's not a bug, I just wanted those putting it to the paces to check out this feature. iChat will resume file transfers, it will ask to replace but you will notice it resumes them! Yeah!

Forum Links
Forum Rules