Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > All EMed up, scalable graphics, the lot.

All EMed up, scalable graphics, the lot.
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2006, 01:29 PM

I done gone made my website be all scallabubble; graphics, text, margins, everything (well, almost everything) are defined in EM units, and so even in Internet Explorer on Windows, changing the text size not only does just that, but the whole interface scales too. Plus, all CSS layout now, no more tables.

http://www.megasad.com/

Um, so I simply ask if those who would like to look, please post comments. Good or bad, I would appreciate it.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2006, 02:18 PM

Very nice, though I’m missing your little rabbit-animal-thingy-doodie guy at the top, and the white space on the left seems a bit too big... Other than, much better than the last installment

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Very nice, though I’m missing your little rabbit-animal-thingy-doodie guy at the top, and the white space on the left seems a bit too big... Other than, much better than the last installment
He's back! But only when you move your mouse over the top-left title-block thingy... I had intended to do this before I uploaded the new design, but I've got this weird thing on my MacBook where Photoshop will only let you open it once a boot. Once you quit it, every subsequent attempt to open Photoshop results in it quitting before it even begins. So, I rebooted, and hamster-Simon returns.

With regards whitespace, I know there is more than before, especially on the data pages themselves (due to the cover images). My main aim for this design was to use as much vertical space for the content as possible, to waste none on anything else. On my MacBook's display, I have plenty of horizontal space, not so much vertical... So I guess it's more of a widescreen design.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 26, 2006, 02:53 AM

I like a lot! What are you using to get random images on the homepage?

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
I like a lot! What are you using to get random images on the homepage?
I use the Random Text script from The nms Project. They have a random image one too, but I find it easier to use the random text one on account of everything (link, image, alt text) can be on one line as one string, instead of multiple lines.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 26, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by megasad
I use the Random Text script from The nms Project. They have a random image one too, but I find it easier to use the random text one on account of everything (link, image, alt text) can be on one line as one string, instead of multiple lines.

Very well done. I'm looking at your site for some inspiration even if it is simple it is perfect. With some Ajax XSL live search for the search form it would have something even more special.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Very well done. I'm looking at your site for some inspiration even if it is simple it is perfect. With some Ajax XSL live search for the search form it would have something even more special.
I did a brief Google, but can you recommend any particular ready-made Ajax search script I could simply drop into my current site? Or would such live searching require that my website store its comic book data in an actual database?

I like the idea of live searching... As you type, that huge empty white space beneath the navigation could fill up with possible results...

Forum Links
Forum Rules