Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes is beachballing

iTunes is beachballing
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2014, 01:37 AM

I am running iTunes on a Mac Pro running OS X Mavericks. It's worked fine until a few weeks ago.
I have a music collection of approximately 3000 songs and have a large collection of podcasts I subscribe to. It was originally set up to download podcasts for several episodes and I changed the setting to only download the most recent podcast. After I did this I decided to delete all episodes of each podcast other than the most recent. With my collection this was many but I highlighted all of them and then selected to delete them. I believe I did that by right clicking and select delete. That is when the problem started.
Now whenever I open iTunes it simply beachballs. I am not sure if it's simply locked up or is actually doing the work of deleting those podcasts. I have even let it run overnight hoping that it would be completed in the morning but I have woken up to find my computer locked up. It's obviously using up a massive amount of resources.
I use iTunes a lot and miss having it. Any idea of how I can fix this?
Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2014, 09:03 AM

I'll bet it's either still deleting all the podcast episodes, or trying to download them again. The last few versions of iTunes have been "interesting" in terms of how my own podcast selections have been handled, and the last time I deleted really old ones, it re-downloaded them...I'm not sure where in the preferences that's controlled, but it's been a hassle for me. I wonder if that's what's going on for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules