Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Review: Powerbook G4 1.67 15-inch from a prior G4 1.25 15-inch owner

Review: Powerbook G4 1.67 15-inch from a prior G4 1.25 15-inch owner
dmlawmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 05:41 PM

I want to begin with a caveat. I do not claim to be a computer expert or to have any expertise in writing reviews. I have owned Macs since the Apple IIGS back in the 80s, and after my recent experiences thought it might be helpful for some to read a review comparing a Rev A Powerbook G4 AL 1.25 15-inch (hereinafter �G4 1.25�) to the most current Powerbook G4 1.67 15-inch (hereinafter �G4 1.67).

I made the mistake of buying the original Aluminum Powerbook 2 years ago and ended up suffering more computer problems than I ever thought possible. The purpose of this review is not to bash the quality of Apple Powerbooks (although I don�t have a very high opinion of them anymore), but rather to highlight, what I perceive, are the noticeable improvements with the most recent revision.

My G4 1.25 had the well-documented �white spots� and �uneven shading� that have been the subject of countless posts on these message boards. After sending in the G4 1.25 four times for repairs within 3 months, Apple agreed to replace my computer with a new, though identical version, of the Powerbook. Unfortunately my luck was no better � suffering the same white spots and finally 3 logic board failures that Apple first attributed the RAM I had installed in the computer. After receiving the G4 1.25 back from repair the 3rd time, the logic board again failed and the repair center had broken the slot-loading DVD-RW/CD-RW drive. After enough yelling and days of aggravating phone calls, Apple finally agreed to replace my Powerbook again � this time with a new G4 1.67. The rest of this post deals with a review of that laptop after one month of use:

Initial impressions were greater than I expected. Whether it was do to my old G4 1.25 having been sent into repair numerous times, or a difference in build quality, all I can say is that the new powerbook seemed much more solidly built. There is no noticeable bending the frame and, more importantly, the latch/hinge mechanism appears to keep the lid closed more securely.

The keyboard is solid as ever � no noticeable improvement, though I agree with others that the backlighting is much improved and distributes the light evenly across the entire keyboard. I don�t think there is a better laptop keyboard out-there.

Screen. Considering my past problems with this model of Powerbooks, I half expected the screen to have shading or white-spots within the 1st week. None so far. The screen does seem noticeably brighter than my G4 1.25 � I don�t ever seem to need the brightest setting. Color/saturation appears identical and far superior to any of my peers� PC laptops.

Trackpad. Love it!. I cannot say how much web and everyday computer use has become with the two finger scrolling. I understand that there are software hacks for older powerbooks and I highly recommend anyone who has not discovered the world of two-finger scrolling to download it immediately. Thankfully I have not run into any of the trackpad issues that some users have complained about � though I have been forced to revert back to Safari for my web browser because the two-finger scrolling does not seem to work well with Firefox.

Performance. Wow! I did not think I would find a noticeable improvement over the G4 1.25 (80gig 4200 rpm HD, 1 gig RAM, 64 mg 9600 graphic chip). The current G4 1.67 is set up with an 80gig 5400 rpm HD, 1 gig RAM and a 64 mg 9700 graphic chip. While I notice some improvement in application performance (I use mostly Safari, Microsoft word, and Photoshop for moderate photo-editing of 50-150 mb files), the greatest improvement has been with everyday tasks. Folders open quickly and without delay. Windows close more quickly and applications start up in what seems like half the time. I understand that this is largely attributable to the faster HD rather than the processor or video-card. I will never go back to a 4200rpm HD. The harddrive has no noticeable noise increase over the old 4200 rpm drive in the G4 1.25 laptop, nor does it appear to cause the computer to run hotter or decrease battery life. In fact, in normal use I get nearly 3 hours and 45 minutes of use � a great improvement over the 2:50 � 3 hours of battery life I got with my old G4 1.25. The other noticeable improvement came with web browsing. Scrolling through complex websites likes espn.com and cnet.com is much faster and more fluid � with web pages loading noticeably faster. I do not know what this is do to � I can only assume the increase in processor speed has helped. The same is true with scrolling through pdf documents in Preview and large 100+ page Word files.

Wireless. I have not had the opportunity to test the �improved� Bluetooth technology so I cannot comment on its capabilities. I am extremely happy to report that the wireless range does appear to be much improved. I am a law student at a law school known for its less-than-adequate wireless signals, and I now have wireless access at locations within the building that were out of range with my old G4 1.25. Whereas with the old G4 1.25, one or two bars on the wireless signal monitor would prevent me from obtaining a connection, with the G4 1.67 I now have near perfect internet use with the same signal strength. I am not sure if this is just some strange phenomenon or if Apple improved the wireless capabilities - but I am quite pleased with the performance.

Well that�s I�ve got. I am overall very pleased with the G4 1.67. I feel that it the first Apple laptop that I have owned that has the horsepower to smoothly run the OS in all functions. The build quality appears to me to be much improved, and the faster HD and two-finger scrolling have improved every aspect of using this beautiful piece of machinery. Here�s hoping that I don�t run into anymore of my previous laptop woes� For anyone thinking about buying a new Powerbook G4 � I would say that this is the one. Most of the �kinks� (and that is being put nicely) have been worked out, and the computer is fast enough for most-anyone�s needs. For those that are waiting for a G5-based laptop, I would say that if you need the power of a G5, go buy a dual-G5 Powermac and stop your wining.

Hope this has been helpful to some�

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 06:58 PM

nice review. all i'm waiting for now is tiger.. cmon apple!

StonedRose
Apr 7, 2005, 08:56 PM

Man. Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the info on the 2 finger scrolling. I have a 17 1.5 that doesn't have that option. Which shareware would you suggest I try out? Thanks. Aloha.

osxisfun
Apr 7, 2005, 09:06 PM

dmlawmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by StonedRose:
Man. Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the info on the 2 finger scrolling. I have a 17 1.5 that doesn't have that option. Which shareware would you suggest I try out? Thanks. Aloha.
Definetly sidetrack. Friend of mine uses it on his 1.25 15inch and loves it. Look for it at versiontracker.com

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 01:03 AM

I used Sidetrack and iScroll and gotta admit that iScroll beats the living pants off of Sidetrack (no offense to the genius who developed ST). Not only is it easier with two finger scrolling, but two fingers on the trackpad plus click = right click, which I think is lots better then tapping IMHO.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

iDORK
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 06:52 AM

Great review!

dmlawmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by iDORK:
Great review!
Thanks. One thing I forgot to add - has any owner of a new PB 1.67 noticed any improved sound quality? I listened to music last night over the speakers and was pleasantly surprised - more so than on the previous G4 1.25. I could be wrong - but the sound is fuller.

osxisfun
Apr 8, 2005, 11:34 AM

i just hope the sidetrack guy (or iscroll) updates for the 2005 PBs. You can do some amazing stuff with expose and sidetrack if there screen shots are any example.

(i really love expose. you should see what how i programmed my mouse buttons for it)

typ993
Apr 8, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by asodamiac:
nice review. all i'm waiting for now is tiger.. cmon apple!
Me too! Anyone know from past experience how long it takes once a new Mac OS is released until it gets preinstalled on new machines? I want to get the PB described above, but don't want to lay out an extra $100 and the installation time to put Tiger on it if I can get it that way from the factory.

osxisfun
Apr 8, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by typ993:
Me too! Anyone know from past experience how long it takes once a new Mac OS is released until it gets preinstalled on new machines? I want to get the PB described above, but don't want to lay out an extra $100 and the installation time to put Tiger on it if I can get it that way from the factory.
about a month. sometimes less.

i for one do not want tiger installed. I need 10.3 for compatiblity so i want the 10.3 discs and a $20 upgrade for tiger discs..

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
about a month. sometimes less.

i for one do not want tiger installed. I need 10.3 for compatiblity so i want the 10.3 discs and a $20 upgrade for tiger discs..
When did you order your PB? If I order my PB now and Tiger happens to be released at WWDC (might be earlier, but I don't want to take any chances), would Apple still sell me the Tiger upgrade for $20? I wouldnt mind using the PB now until Tiger came out. Then I can truly appreciate Tiger

osxisfun
Apr 8, 2005, 02:49 PM

have not ordered yet. i am wating for at least the 18th to see what comes out at NAB.

new rumor says : april 13th.

that would be the first day if you want to guarentee.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 02:54 PM

have not ordered yet. i am wating for at least the 18th to see what comes out at NAB.

new rumor says : april 13th.

that would be the first day if you want to guarentee.
guess i'll wait a little longer, but if tiger isnt released after NAB, i might just order the PB. if apple released tiger in june though during WWDC or something, would they still offer the Tiger upgrade for $20? is 2 months too long?

osxisfun
Apr 8, 2005, 03:01 PM

guess i'll wait a little longer, but if tiger isnt released after NAB, i might just order the PB. if apple released tiger in june though during WWDC or something, would they still offer the Tiger upgrade for $20? is 2 months too long?
i seriuosly doubt it. min 2 weeks max 1 month would be my guess...

but its going to be announced this month. i have no doubt about that.

once they announce it you are going to get the upgrade if you buy after that date.

remember, some of the new pro apps (final cut) etc that are going to require tiger so announcing tiger at or before NAB just makes sense.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 03:03 PM

i seriuosly doubt it. min 2 weeks max 1 month would be my guess...

but its going to be announced this month. i have no doubt about that.

once they announce it you are going to get the upgrade if you buy after that date.

remember, some of the new pro apps (final cut) etc that are going to require tiger so announcing tiger at or before NAB just makes sense.
awesome! that means once they announce it and i purchase a PB, i automatically qualify for the $20 dollar tiger upgrade right (if i choose to purchase tiger.. which i would)? this is good news. i doubt i will be using pro apps. the closest thing to a pro app i would use is photoshop. thanks for the good news.

osxisfun
Apr 8, 2005, 03:08 PM

awesome! that means once they announce it and i purchase a PB, i automatically qualify for the $20 dollar tiger upgrade right (if i choose to purchase tiger.. which i would)? this is good news. i doubt i will be using pro apps. the closest thing to a pro app i would use is photoshop. thanks for the good news.
yep. the FAQ in the 10.4 section of the apple boards says as much. The key is the public announcement.

I'm still waiting till the 18th in case there are dual dual 2.5s for $2k

HA!

if not i go powerbook.

asodamiac, did you read my blurb about the rebates at amazon?

$150 off
no sales tax
free tiger (if you wait till apple announces)

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 03:20 PM

nice review. as a 1.25 owner, i found it really helpful. only now i feel like i should upgrade...
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 03:46 PM

yep. the FAQ in the 10.4 section of the apple boards says as much. The key is the public announcement.

I'm still waiting till the 18th in case there are dual dual 2.5s for $2k

HA!

if not i go powerbook.

asodamiac, did you read my blurb about the rebates at amazon?

$150 off
no sales tax
free tiger (if you wait till apple announces)
yea i saw you post about that offer in another thread, but you dont have an option to customize the powerbooks on amazon.com right? i want a 15"/1.67 with 128 graphics card/1 gig of ram/100gig hd/SD. the PB's offered on amazon are pretty much stock right?

osxisfun
Apr 8, 2005, 03:57 PM

correct.

vram would be nice.

dmlawmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2005, 05:10 PM

I unfortunately didn't have an option to upgrade to the 128 vram - I have the stock 64. The GUI is noticably smoothy when I have multiple windows open as compared to the 1.25 G4 with a 64 mg 9600 chip. I don't think a 128 9700 chip is going to satisfy folks any longer than a 64 mg chip would though. In two years, either chip will seem extremely outdated. I remember back when I had one of the original G3 Wallstreet 250mhz laptops with 8 megs of ATI 128 chip. I thought that was going to be powerful enough to last for years....

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by dmlawmac:
I unfortunately didn't have an option to upgrade to the 128 vram - I have the stock 64. The GUI is noticably smoothy when I have multiple windows open as compared to the 1.25 G4 with a 64 mg 9600 chip. I don't think a 128 9700 chip is going to satisfy folks any longer than a 64 mg chip would though. In two years, either chip will seem extremely outdated. I remember back when I had one of the original G3 Wallstreet 250mhz laptops with 8 megs of ATI 128 chip. I thought that was going to be powerful enough to last for years....
well i dont plan on doing much video editing, gaming, etc. on the powerbook. i will do some editing, gaming etc. occasionally but not on a every day basis. i think 128 vram will work for me for a few years.. i hope.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 09:18 PM

Another review:

I owned a TiBook (1 GHz?) that I sold last year, hoping for a G5 PB <sigh>. Needless to say, no G5 PB was announced so I did without PB, staying just on a desktop Powermac until a client's needs dictated that I replace the PB now.
I am a heavy Photoshop user, and the TiBook was unacceptably slow. All the graphics that I could really use it for was uploading images from DSLR CF cards and burning to CDs.

Last week I bought a maxxed (video & hard drive) out 1.67 GHz 15 inch PB and it is excellent. Photoshop runs quite well for a laptop, and I have not yet even added the RAM and external (scratch) FW800/USB2 drive that I bought. This PB has _much_ more throughput improvement than the simple cpu speed would indicate.

Airport reception is much improved over the TiBook, no complaints.

The speakers are way better than on the TiBook, actually tolerable.

Battery life is much better than I will ever need.

All in all I am very pleased, and will not suffer buyer's remorse when the next excellent PB comes out. However long I use this PB for, it was a solid purchase.

P.S. A friend bought an identical PB and reports the same experience.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Apr 8, 2005 at 09:30 PM. )

osxisfun
Apr 8, 2005, 09:38 PM

cool.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 11:10 PM

i have a 1.33 g4 12 inch powerbook, and i can't stress enough how much of a speed improvement the 5400 rpm 16 meg cache drive makes over the slower versions.. it's night and day.

actually, i think disk IO is one of hte most underrated upgrades around, with a 3-4 year old drive really being much slower (especially laptop ones) than what you can get now for quite a reasonable price.

fb

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2005, 08:45 PM

dmlawmac, When apple replaced your Powerbook did they have you send your old one back 1st then once they recived it they sent the new one.
That is what they are having me do and I want to know if that is normal.

I just hope they don't give me crap and send the old one back saying it is not broken or anything like that. They are replacing my 1Ghz 12in with a 1.5Ghz 12in.

flukewurm
Apr 10, 2005, 11:06 PM

hrm.

cool review

dmlawmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by bovie:
dmlawmac, When apple replaced your Powerbook did they have you send your old one back 1st then once they recived it they sent the new one.
That is what they are having me do and I want to know if that is normal.

I just hope they don't give me crap and send the old one back saying it is not broken or anything like that. They are replacing my 1Ghz 12in with a 1.5Ghz 12in.
Yes, that is what Apple required. The tech rep sent out a mailing label, I mailed in my laptop, and once they had received it, the new computer was shipped from apple.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, I am happy to hear you like your new laptop.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 03:12 PM

You can fix the two finger scrolling problem problem in Firefox. It's essentially a preference you need to adjust.

See the details here.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...40617000005758

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 10:55 AM

How is the heat on the pb? Did you find the 1.25 cooler or warmer than the new one?

Thanks!

dmlawmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by kmarketing:
How is the heat on the pb? Did you find the 1.25 cooler or warmer than the new one?

Thanks!
I've notice no difference with general use - which is great. I figured between the faster processor and the higher rpm HD, the computer would run a good deal hotter. I don't play video games so I cannot speak to that - but with normal everyday use, photoshop use, and DVD use, there is no noticable difference. When the fan did come on, it was, in fact, noticably quieter than my 1.25.

As a side note, the stock 5400rpm drive in the new 1.67 is much quieter than my old stock 4200 rpm drive in the 1.25 - that was a nice suprise.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 06:09 PM

Under normal task the new one should make less noise. The 1.67 does not have to work as hard as the 1.25 to do the same tast.
It is nice to know that apple still keeps the laptops quiet, at my Office a person right behind me uses a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 at that machine get loud really fast.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 06:17 PM

Under normal task the new one should make less noise. The 1.67 does not have to work as hard as the 1.25 to do the same tast.
It is nice to know that apple still keeps the laptops quiet, at my Office a person right behind me uses a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 at that machine get loud really fast. Some times it's fans spin up for NO reason.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 08:25 AM

Whether it was do to my old G4 1.25

I do not know what this is do to

I am a law student
That was helpful and thanks for the review.

As an ex law student, thought I'd just nudge you in the ribs and say, "due" process, your assignment is "due"!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 12:07 PM

For those that are waiting for a G5-based laptop, I would say that if you need the power of a G5, go buy a dual-G5 Powermac and stop your wining.
Stop my wining?!
And then, drink what... water?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

dmlawmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
That was helpful and thanks for the review.

As an ex law student, thought I'd just nudge you in the ribs and say, "due" process, your assignment is "due"!
As a current law student, I would remind you that we have enough to worry about than using the correct form of "due / do" on a mac forum.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2005, 04:47 PM

dmlawmac, When apple replaced your old one,
Did you get any e-mail's saying they got your old one?
Did you get any e-mail's saying they shipped the new one?

Apple is replacing my and I don't know if I should have got a e-mail saying they got it.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

dmlawmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by bovie
dmlawmac, When apple replaced your old one,
Did you get any e-mail's saying they got your old one?
Did you get any e-mail's saying they shipped the new one?

Apple is replacing my and I don't know if I should have got a e-mail saying they got it.
I am trying to remember and looking through my mailbox - I don't think I received an email. I had requested that the tech-person I dealt with contact me when it was shipped - which he did. If you are concerned and have the dispatch number, you probably could call apple and inquire as to the status. Hope the new PB is as problem-less as mine has been [knock on wood]...

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2005, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply, I called apple today and they said it was recived and the new model was ordered and should ship very soon.
Good to hear you like your new machine. My old one came when I got it was perfect in every way, I just hope the new one is to.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules