Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Nameserver?

Nameserver?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 07:11 AM

Hello all,

I recently bought a domain name from Muu Muu Domains (Japanese site). I've tried their partner site's hosting plan, but don't like it.
I'm wanting to change to DreamHost, and when I do, it asks me to do one of the following :

I already own this domain and will change my nameservers to DreamHost's.

I would also like to change my registrar to be DreamHost, and renew for one year. Auth code for .org/.info transfers (get from current registrar):

I want to keep the domain name hosting with Muu Muu, but want to be able to do all my online access (uploading, ftp, etc) via DreamHost. Which of these two options should I go with?

Thanks!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 08:13 AM

The former.

Dreamhost will provide you with [probably] two nameservers for use with your account. You take those to Muu Muu and there will be an option to enter name servers on there somewhere. Enter them in, and you're on your way.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 09:31 AM

Honestly, DNS changes are a crapshoot with some unscrupulous registrar/webhosts doing all they can to keep you from moving domains to another registrar.

You don't have to change registrars; simply notify Muu Muu that your primary nameservers are changing to Dreamhost (you might be able to do it via web interface like GoDaddy does) and you should be good to go.

I'm always wary about companies trying to change registrar status...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the replies:

Lollypop is the name of the hosting service. Luckily it gives me a 10 day money back gurantee!

Here are the choices that Muu Muu gives me when I go to the "change my DNS details" page:

Use a Lollypop Name Server (no, this is what I'm currently doing, and want to change)

Use a Color Me Shop! Pro Name Server (no, don't want to do this either)

Use a different name server from those listed above

Use a name server with the domain I've got (the one from Muu Muu)

Further down it gives me an editable list of four different nameservers, the first two being lollypop ones, the other two being blank.

So, just to make sure this is right:

I should sign up to DreamHost's hosting plan, telling them that I will change my my nameservers to DreamHost's. DreamHost will give me one or more nameserver(s) once I join up with them.
I go to the DNS details at Muu Muu, and put in the new nameserver details that DreamHost has given me, deleting Lollypop's nameserver details. I save the changes.
I cancel my hosting plan with Lollypop, and go on using DreamHost.

Is that right? Have I left anything out? :o Thank you for all your help!!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 03:11 PM

Correct.

But you should avoid, as much as possible, making your webhost provider the registrar of your domain as well as this will lead to possible issues with them helping you change the registrar again if you should ever want to change webhosts (seanic.net was a vendor I had a helluva time trying to wrestle back some domains from; as soon as they found out that I was canceling hosting with them, response time to get the necessary actions taken to move registrars took forever...).
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2005, 08:09 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread with a completely unrelated question, but the #%"!%"&/€ database just will not let me post a new thread, I've been trying for 24 hours now! If a mod/admin can split this post (and any replies) into a thread of its own, I would be most grateful

The question:

My dad is making a program that, among other things, has a small FTP app built into it, so that the user can upload files to their webspace directly from the program.

To do this, he needs to be sent to the public folder on the user's server. Now, what neither of us knows is how many different 'forms' there are of this public folder.

On my own webspace, for instance, the public folder is simply called public_html, and on some Windows servers it seems to be wwwroot. But apart from those two, are there others? Or other kinds of servers, where the whole 'public folder' system works differently?

Basically, what are all the different possibilities for how to reach the public folder of a server, starting from /?

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
The question:

My dad is making a program that, among other things, has a small FTP app built into it, so that the user can upload files to their webspace directly from the program.

To do this, he needs to be sent to the public folder on the user's server. Now, what neither of us knows is how many different 'forms' there are of this public folder.

On my own webspace, for instance, the public folder is simply called public_html, and on some Windows servers it seems to be wwwroot. But apart from those two, are there others? Or other kinds of servers, where the whole 'public folder' system works differently?

Basically, what are all the different possibilities for how to reach the public folder of a server, starting from /?
There are unlimited possibilities. The web server can be configured to use any folder as the web root. Your best option would be to allow the user to enter the name of their web folder in the software, relative to the FTP root.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by genevish
There are unlimited possibilities. The web server can be configured to use any folder as the web root. Your best option would be to allow the user to enter the name of their web folder in the software, relative to the FTP root.
This is what I feared. All right, he'll just have to assume that the people using his program have a clue what they're doing (which they probably don't, but what the hell). Thanks

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 01:54 AM

FWIW:
I had same problem this week. 90% of the time I could NOT create a new thread: Not even a new thread in Lounge to ask who else was having the problem!

Finally gave up...
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 01:56 AM

FWIW:
I had same problem this week. 90% of the time I could NOT create a new thread: Not even a new thread in Lounge to ask who else was having the problem!

Finally gave up...

PS: I did use CONTACT us link for MacNN, but of course they never acknowledge... or acknowledge publicly when there's been a db problem.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 06:46 PM

Plust (you won't believe this), sometimes it would say it failed to register a POST... but apparently did

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
FWIW:

Finally gave up...

PS: I did use CONTACT us link for MacNN, but of course they never acknowledge... or acknowledge publicly when there's been a db problem.
For what it's worth: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=274159

And the address for macnn support is quite telling
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Forum Links
Forum Rules