Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > [Guide]: How To Disable "Sponsored Links" Embedded Within Forum Posts (screenshots)

[Guide]: How To Disable "Sponsored Links" Embedded Within Forum Posts (screenshots)
macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 04:55 PM

How to disable the green "Sponsored Links" embedded within posts.

Please direct concern for Sponsored Links here in the feedback forum -> http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=284546

FOR SAFARI USERS ONLY

1) Download and install PithHelmet

2) In the PithHelmet menu, select "Show Rule Editor"

3) Click "New"

4) Type macnn.us.intellitxt.com into the "Matching Pattern" text entry box.

5) Click on the "Filter" tab and make sure your options match those shown below:

6) Click the "Apply button, and close the Rule Editor.

7) Enjoy surfin' the MacNN boards without running into one of those annoying sponsored links!

Cheers
( Last edited by Nick; Feb 5, 2006 at 08:53 PM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 05:04 PM

you're posting this on the macnn forums?
I like the ads, since i want MacNN to make money.
we don't have time to stop for gas

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
you're posting this on the macnn forums?
I like the ads, since i want MacNN to make money.
I like MacNN, that's why I come here to post. If MacNN had a paypal donation link, I would donate. But they don't unfortunately.

Edit: My bad, found the link ;-)
( Last edited by macintologist; Feb 4, 2006 at 05:16 PM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 05:14 PM

How much are you going to donate?

"Donate"

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Peter

How much are you going to donate?

"Donate"
Just donated 15 bucks.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 05:17 PM

waitaminute... what ads are you talking about?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 4, 2006, 05:17 PM

What sponsored links are you talking about? There shouldn't be anything appearing INSIDE a post...
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 05:18 PM

are all the ads i see...

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by gorgonzola
What sponsored links are you talking about? There shouldn't be anything appearing INSIDE a post...
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=284546

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 4, 2006, 05:21 PM

Aha. Thanks. Seems annoying. I'll ask someone about it.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 05:21 PM

holy ****, thats the most stupid ad system ever.
*blocks them*

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2006, 05:23 PM

You don't need PithHelmet to do this - editing the /etc/hosts file will block the site in all browsers, with no haxies involved. Just edit the /etc/hosts file with your favorite text editor - pico, vi, emacs, TextWrangler, etc. and add this line:

127.0.0.1 macnn.us.intellitxt.com

Then, reboot and you'll never see these underlines again, no matter whether you're using Safari, Camino, Firefox, etc.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Feb 4, 2006 at 10:39 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 05:26 PM

I like stability. I'm not going to install Pithhelmet.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 05:29 PM

I still don't see these, either in Safari or Firefox, whether or not I'm logged in as a user. The only security-related things I do are block third-party cookies and pop-ups.

Not that I'm complaining -- the first thing I would do if I did see them is block them, not because I hate ads, but because they're annoying. But I wonder why I'm so special?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
You don't need PithHelmet to do this - editing the /etc/hosts file will block the site in all browsers, with no haxies involved. Just edit the /etc/hosts file with your favorite text editor - pico, vi, emacs, TextWrangler, etc. and add this line:

macnn.us.intellitxt.com localhost

Then, reboot and you'll never see these underlines again, no matter whether you're using Safari, Camino, Firefox, etc.
No need to reboot after editing /etc/hosts. Changes take effect immediately.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2006, 05:35 PM

ipod mac apple hard drive hmm...

um i thought that would work. ok maybe if i put it in a sentence. I broke my ipod screen and i need to replace it. does someone know a good site to get this acomplished? (seriously i broke my ipod screen)

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 05:42 PM

Let's see if I can make one show up... here's something about a PowerBook, maybe that will do it?

What about a desktop computer that can run Dreamweaver, with an iPod sitting next to it. Maybe I need to be more subtle to make it work. Maybe I need to suggest some software to download. Maybe I need to talk about digital cameras, or printers. Any ads yet?

Maybe it needs to be a long paragraph. Facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril. Typi non habent claritatem insitam est usus legentis in iis qui? Per seacula quarta decima et quinta decima eodem modo typi qui nunc nobis videntur parum clari. Quam nunc Photoshop parum claram anteposuerit litterarum formas. Soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil imperdiet doming id quod. Mirum est notare quam littera gothica humanitatis fiant. Ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat duis autem vel eum iriure dolor? Eu feugiat nulla delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi nam liber tempor cum mazim?

Edit: nothing. (I don't have any blocking enabled.)

They don't seem to show up in threads where intelliTXT is actually mentioned, maybe that's why?
There's one in the first post of this thread, for example.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2006, 05:52 PM

FireFox + Adblock + Filterset.G = What sponsored links?

edit: http://macnn.us.intellitxt.com/intel....asp?ipid=3078 (a script) looks like the culprit.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
There's one in the first post of this thread, for example.
Nope, can't see it. Maybe it doesn't wotk on Mets fans? Awesome!

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
Nope, can't see it. Maybe it doesn't wotk on Mets fans? Awesome!
It turns into a link after a second or two (it takes some time for the script to run). Maybe you didn't wait long enough?

Or, maybe it shows up differently for different people. That would be weird.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2006, 06:16 PM

No need to reboot after editing /etc/hosts. Changes take effect immediately.
They didn't in my case. Oh well, whatever works for you.

Perhaps the system would get refreshed after some period of time, when it got around to reading the /etc/hosts file. Rebooting forces it to read the file immediately, which is why I did it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 06:21 PM

It turns into a link after a second or two (it takes some time for the script to run). Maybe you didn't wait long enough?

Or, maybe it shows up differently for different people. That would be weird.
A-ha! I guess I wasn't waiting long enough, at least in Firefox. I see the in-line ads there. But back in Safari, I don't see any. I also see a cookie from macnn.us.intellitxt.com in Safari, maybe I have the magic, don't-annoy-me cookie?

It does explain, though, why some pages here seem like they take forever to load. Maybe my version of Safari has a dodgy javascript implementation and the script is crashing? In any case, once I see my first ad in Safari, then the /etc/hosts file is my friend...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 06:26 PM

Did anyone notice the intellitxt link at the top of the page in the thread title? hahaha very clever

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 06:53 PM

or edit /etc/hosts to add 127.0.0.1 macnn.us.intellitxt.com
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

rparke1
Banned
Feb 4, 2006, 06:55 PM

just use the web browser shiira, intellitxt isnt compatible with it so no green thingies

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Did anyone notice the intellitxt link at the top of the page in the thread title? hahaha very clever
uhhh... no.

That's really strange - it's linking different words for different people. Maybe it depends on your browser. What browser were you using when you saw it?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 07:49 PM

uhhh... no.

That's really strange - it's linking different words for different people. Maybe it depends on your browser. What browser were you using when you saw it?
I think it's random. I posted something earlier and 2 words were linked. I quoted it and the link went away in the original post and the quote.

And I'm not changing my browser just to use MacNN. That's silly.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 09:00 PM

Ya, tesseract, what I saw before is gone now. WTF, they are toying with us.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2006, 09:32 PM

well looks like this intellitxt is also on the main page.

Also, another thing that occurred to me was.... i wonder if intellitxt will affect sigs.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
well looks like this intellitxt is also on the main page.

Also, another thing that occurred to me was.... i wonder if intellitxt will affect sigs.

I think the front page was actually the intended location of the ads (as opposed to the forums).

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 10:53 PM

Ok, I don't see the green underlined text and I have applied my method of screening. Does anyone else who hasn't done the filter still see the green text on the Macnn front page?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Ok, I don't see the green underlined text and I have applied my method of screening. Does anyone else who hasn't done the filter still see the green text on the Macnn front page?
Yes, it's still there.

Edit: They seem to be gone from the forums now. Hooray (?)

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 11:02 PM

Yes, it's still there.
So my method is still relevant

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2006, 11:17 PM

Dammit, get rid of these ****ing intellitext ads!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2006, 11:20 PM

They seem to be gone from the forums now. Hooray (?)
intellitxt is still doing its magic in the forums.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2006, 11:22 PM

Not for me. PithHelmet is working just fine. Thanks macintologist.
And a an added side effect I don't see any of the google ads on the forum pages either. Way to go macnn management. Morans.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 11:44 PM

I haven't seen any on the forums all day, and I haven't done anything to stop them. I saw them several times yesterday, but now they seem to be gone for me. I haven't visited the front page, so I can't speak for that.

"I start fires!"

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 12:00 AM

I just saw one again. They seem to come and go.
I'm not going to try to block them because I want to know when they stop.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 5, 2006, 01:20 AM

I was seeing them all over the place earlier. Testing:

iMac hard drive iPod iBook PowerBook Windows Mac Core Duo etc.

EDIT:

Nope, I'm not seeing it now.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I was seeing them all over the place earlier. Testing:

iMac hard drive iPod iBook PowerBook Windows Mac Core Duo etc.

EDIT:

Nope, I'm not seeing it now.
No, they're still there. It only seems work toward the top of the page. Other things are also required for it to actually be triggered. I don't understand the exact circumstances which will trigger a link (and I'm not sure anyone else does, either).

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 01:57 AM

its probably really obvious but i just saw one on someone's sig line. somehow, i think that is pretty sad cause they could at least leave the sigs alone.

but they dont bother me all that much. Its a nice idea, i mean i look at the front page for a little bit everyday, then i hit the forums. And trust me that banner on top of the forums. NEVER gets any love from me. I rarely, if ever notice those banners. This is a great idea in terms of advertising. at least for now.

btw as i was posting this, i scrolled down and lo and behold. intellitxt is working.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2006, 02:33 AM

Found another one. This one is blue though.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

volcano
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS

127.0.0.1 macnn.us.intellitxt.com

Where is this file located on a Mac OS X so I can edit it? Sorry if I sound incompetent - but I've never heard of doing it this way before. I searched Google to no avail.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Found another one. This one is blue though.
Kinda fishy too.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by volcano
Where is this file located on a Mac OS X so I can edit it? Sorry if I sound incompetent - but I've never heard of doing it this way before. I searched Google to no avail.
/etc/hosts is the path to the file. It's a UNIX thing and it's normally hidden in the Finder.

You can edit it by opening Terminal (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and entering the command
Code:
sudo nano /etc/hosts
nano is a UNIX text editor that's reasonably easy to use. The commands are listed at the bottom of the terminal window; note that ^ means the Ctrl key and "WriteOut" means "Save".

Be careful when you're editing /etc/hosts (or doing anything else in Terminal, for that matter) - it's a powerful tool.
( Last edited by Tesseract; Feb 5, 2006 at 04:36 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 05:43 AM

/etc/hosts is the path to the file. It's a UNIX thing and it's normally hidden in the Finder.

You can edit it by opening Terminal (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and entering the command
Code:
sudo nano /etc/hosts
nano is a UNIX text editor that's reasonably easy to use. The commands are listed at the bottom of the terminal window; note that ^ means the Ctrl key and "WriteOut" means "Save".

Be careful when you're editing /etc/hosts (or doing anything else in Terminal, for that matter) - it's a powerful tool.
If you like to do it with a GUI, you can also use TextWrangler if you like. Just type this command in the Terminal:

edit /etc/hosts

and it'll open in TextWrangler. TW can authenticate with your admin password, so you can edit it as root too.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 10:35 AM

Good. Now that crap is very dead... deathtowindows goes off to teach those bastards a lesson... with a sharp stick..."

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 11:44 AM

It's still going on, but PithHelmet filters it just beautifully. Along with all of the other ads of course, some of which I used to click when I found them useful. A fine own goal by whoever makes the decisions round here.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 5, 2006, 01:37 PM

Off Topic...

Sometimes I swear there's some love thang going on between Lateralus and Simon.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 01:47 PM

Damn Eug, I was afraid you were onto it.

We got kinda carried away by you humping the big fish there ya know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules