Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPods now double as study aids

iPods now double as study aids
Rumor
Mar 15, 2006, 06:32 PM

Click me

I think this is such a great use for an iPod. It would be nice to see it on the Community College level.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2006, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately, such things are only useful to those who actually use them. I'm in a freshman class right now (one of those "everybody has to have this class to get a degree" classes) at a university, and I'm apalled at how few of my classmates even bother paying attention. We have had one test, and the class average was 65!

How is this applicable? The school is going out of its way to make it easy for the students; the lectures are available online as streaming video, the professor puts all of his lecture outlines online, and the school provides "supplemental instruction" through a very smart (and longsuffering) young lady that tries hard to help students figure it all out. There are only a handful of people at any supplemental instruction session... I have a pretty good GPA, and I'm going to talk to the next SI session on the subject of "How to Take a Multiple Choice Test." Honest!

Only motivated students will be able to take advantage of this sort of advance. I hope your community college is both more student-centerd, and more populated by motivated students than the one near me; they still have to get real classrooms set up for all the students they have in portable classrooms, so I don't expect them to push too much for downloadable lectures for a while.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2006, 06:56 PM

I really like the iTunes U pilot program - looks like a great area for Apple to expand into. It could make the iPod an indispensable learning tool.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Unfortunately, such things are only useful to those who actually use them. I'm in a freshman class right now (one of those "everybody has to have this class to get a degree" classes) at a university, and I'm apalled at how few of my classmates even bother paying attention. We have had one test, and the class average was 65!

How is this applicable? The school is going out of its way to make it easy for the students; the lectures are available online as streaming video, the professor puts all of his lecture outlines online, and the school provides "supplemental instruction" through a very smart (and longsuffering) young lady that tries hard to help students figure it all out. There are only a handful of people at any supplemental instruction session... I have a pretty good GPA, and I'm going to talk to the next SI session on the subject of "How to Take a Multiple Choice Test." Honest!

Only motivated students will be able to take advantage of this sort of advance. I hope your community college is both more student-centerd, and more populated by motivated students than the one near me; they still have to get real classrooms set up for all the students they have in portable classrooms, so I don't expect them to push too much for downloadable lectures for a while.
I'm no expert on the American system, but in the UK 70% = a 1st (i.e. top class) and in an arts degree is very difficult to get. An average of 65% therefore sounds good, but I guess from the context that 65 isn't good where you are! (Hell, I got 65 as the average for my degree - a 2:1!)
Also, I seem to remember that you'd be a mature student? (Correct me if I'm wrong - not stalking here, but if you mention your history in posts people are sometimes going to remember it ). I guess you're bound to find that you're more motivated than the average undergrad; such is life.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by willed
I'm no expert on the American system, but in the UK 70% = a 1st (i.e. top class) and in an arts degree is very difficult to get. An average of 65% therefore sounds good, but I guess from the context that 65 isn't good where you are! (Hell, I got 65 as the average for my degree - a 2:1!)
It depends on the institution, but at some schools in the US, 65% is the lowest possible passing grade.

I imagine that if the class average on an exam was 65%, the instructor would curve the marks in some fashion to bring the average to perhaps 80%. (Depends on the school and the instructor, obviously.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules