Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 - maximum volume size?

OS 9.1 - maximum volume size?
topcat
May 1, 2003, 10:45 PM

I replaced the internal hard disk in my Beige G3 Mac with a 40 GB SCSI model. Divided this into two HFS+ partitions (7 GB + 33 GB) using La Cie's Silverling drive utility. Installed System 8.6 on the 7 GB partition. This worked fine. Decided (foolishly?) to update to OS 9.1. Tried installing this on the 33 GB partiton. This worked - sort of. On boot, I would get an error message saying that I had a volume that was too large for this verison of software. Nevertheless, the system functioned OK and seemed stable. I thought the error might be due to the large size of the volume that 9.1 was installed on, so i installed it on the 7 GB partition, but keep getting the same message. I don't get it, since from what I've read, system 9.1 should be able to handle volumes up to 2 TB. I concerned about 2 things: (1) I won't get access to the full amount of available disk space and (2) the system will become unstable.

Thoughts, anyone?

deharlow
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 03:58 AM

There is a bug with some versions of the G3 firmware that require OS 9 and X to be installed on the first partition of 8GB or less. See the tech note at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25249

This means you should create and 8GB partition on the first part (top) of the HD and a 32GB on the second part (bottom).

Daniel

topcat  (op)
May 2, 2003, 08:54 PM

The 7 GB partition is the first partition, but i still get the error message.

Cipher13
May 3, 2003, 09:40 AM

To address the topic: there is no limit you'll ever reach, realistically. The maximum supported file size is 2 TB.

The limitation comes with the ATA controller before the OS, here.

As for your problem - format the drive, and partition with Drive Setup, not Silver Lining, if you can, then install.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 6, 2003, 08:16 PM

just a quick question, all this partitioning business is only if you install OS X correct? b/c I have a beige g3 at home with an unpartitioned 80gb drive running 9.2

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by SSharon:
just a quick question, all this partitioning business is only if you install OS X correct? b/c I have a beige g3 at home with an unpartitioned 80gb drive running 9.2
Sort of. A lot of people like to have OS X and OS 9 on separate partitions, so they usually make a partition for each. Your G3 actually has 1 partition. I suppose you could call it unpartitioned as well. Does that make sense?

Forum Links
Forum Rules