Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > send g-mail as default user using standard ipad e-mail app

send g-mail as default user using standard ipad e-mail app
heboil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2010, 02:43 PM

The e-mail app that ships with the ipad connects to my gmail account and works well using the Exchange settings. However, I have my gmail set up on desktop so that all my mail is actually sent by default from a non g-mail address. When I logged in with the ipad and got an e-mail, I replied and it was sent from my g-mail account, not the default setting of my g-mail desktop setup (confusing people who don't know my gmail address which is not my name). I can use the mobile g-mail link and it works well, but now I have 2 icons in my on-screen dock for e-mail. Anyone get the original app working by sending from their default account? Conversely, anyone get the mobile g-mail link to push and thereby avoiding this altogether?

Thanks.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2010, 12:56 PM

Have you tried setting up your mail account (on the iPad) manually? That way you can specify the mail servers to use.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2010, 02:13 PM

You can also change which account to send from on every new e-mail.

When composing an e-mail, click on the "From" field to expand the headers. Then you can select the account to send from.

Also, in the iPhone settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, you can now set the default account to be used when opening links from external apps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules