Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unlocking the dock

Unlocking the dock
bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 06:12 PM

I know this has a relatively simple answer, but for the life of me, I cant remember it. I want to remove apps (and question marks for old apps) from the dock. Dragging them off to the poof doesnt work, and I know for sure it used to.........

what am I forgetting ?
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2006, 06:14 PM

Are you on a user with a locked dock?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 06:20 PM

I'm the admin, so how do I unlock it so I can just drag stuff off to the poof ?
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2006, 10:15 PM

Yes, that is how it supposed to work, you're not forgetting anything. It could be a permissions problem, so I wonder what has been modified on the computer since this lack in functionality. Not knowing what you may have already tried, I recommend downloading and installing the free utility 'applejack' available at

Search - VersionTracker

Install and restart holding down the command-S keys to get to the command line. Follow instructions to run 'applejack' and run all the options.

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already repaired permissions, trashed the dock prefs, cleaned caches etc etc all the normal maintenance steps

still no joy, but by the description of AJ, I dont foresee it doing much above or beyond what I have already done

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 08:24 AM

Sounds like a permissions issue to me.

BTW - If there is a permissions problem in your account, Disk Utility's Repair Permissions will NOT resolve it.

If you right-click (or control-click) on one of the items in the Dock, is "Remove from Dock" available in the contextual menu? If so, does that work? Are you able to remove items, yet they reappear upon login?

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 12:52 PM

RFD is available and seems to function, but doesnt. The icons go poof like they're supposed to, but are still there, whether I log out, restart or whatever.....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 01:19 PM

If that user is the admin, I don't know how to explain it. But if it's a normal user, there's an option in the user management settings to prevent modifications to the dock.
Chuck
___

reader50
Administrator
Oct 26, 2006, 02:29 PM

Is your Finder quit at the time? Dragging off the Dock doesn't work if the Finder isn't running.

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 07:15 PM

I am the admin, and the finder is running as normal......

somethin screwy goin on here

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 07:17 PM

Just to check: Have you tried to drag-and-drop anything else since the problem arose? The drag server might be borked.
Chuck
___

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2006, 07:47 PM

I'd be willing to bet that for some reason, the permissions on the dock preferences file do not include write permission for this user, or the same effect has been achieved because the file is "locked" in the Finder. Fixing this (which cannot be done with Disk Utility) will fix the problem.

tooki

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 08:08 PM

Having the file locked won't stop you from poofing things off, though. It'll just make them reappear the next time you log in.
Chuck
___

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 08:39 PM

When all else fails, I suggest running the latest combo updater for your OS version. If that fails, I guess you may have a reinstall in your future...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 05:33 AM

ok, changed the permissions on the dock prefs, and ran the combo .4.8 updater, no joy

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 07:37 AM

Hmmm. Weird stuff. Let's find out if it's the Dock itself, or something screwy in your user account.

Login as another user (create one if another doesn't exist) and see if the problem persists.

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 01:05 PM

same no joy for both accounts

one is admin, the other is not......

reader50
Administrator
Oct 27, 2006, 01:39 PM

Looks like something messing with the Dock app itself, or with some other core OS component. Those are all in /System/Library/, and very difficult to reach without specific admin permission. Do you have any haxies running, like Application Enhancer (APE)? Do you remember what you installed or did since the last time it worked? Anything that required your Admin password is a good possibility.

If there isn't a hack running, then it's archive-reinstall time.

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 05:30 PM

well I do use Transparent Dock and SpotLess, but nothing else. I looked at permissions on the dock.app, and it is read only, since it is in core services. I unlocked it, but that did not make any difference......

off to archive & re-install now

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 06:49 PM

re-install fixed everything thank goodness!

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 07:32 PM

Glad it's working, in cases like this I also like to use the broad brush approach...

sudo chown -R <username>:staff /users/<username>

Sometimes permissions are set correctly but for the wrong user. This won't hurt anything and might help.

ImpulseResponse

bowwowman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 02:14 PM

yea I started to do that too, but didnt wanna take a chance on screwing up an otherwise perfectly functioning system

But will keep it in mind in case anything like this happens in the future (fingers crossed)

I appreciate everyone's suggestions !

Forum Links
Forum Rules