Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Auto Add iChat Issues

Auto Add iChat Issues
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 01:33 AM

Running the latest version of iChat.

So I had to reinstall OS 10.4 a few weeks ago, and having to redo a lot of my settings. For some reason now iChat adds new people to my address book whenever they IM me. I can delete them, but if they IM me back they are re-added. I know I had this issue at one point before, but for the life of me I can't find the option to stop it.

Thanks.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 10:07 PM

Bump

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 07:10 PM

Are you sure its adding them to your address book? Or just adding them to your buddies list? Because that is what it does here, and I just assumed it was supposed to do that. I think it has always done it as far as i can remember.
Its still a bit of an oddity however, because iChat is not properly adding people. I found this out because in my ichat security settings, I often have it set to 'Allow people in my buddy list' (meaning only people i have actually added myself can see me as online)
Enabling that causes people that iChat added to my buddy list (but ones i didn't add to the address book) to disappear, or become invisible. In that they don't see me online, and I don't see them either.
Changing it back to 'Allow anyone' causes them all to pop back into my list and show up online again, until i delete them. And so the cycle inevitably repeats..
I don't think its a bug. But still, personally i'd prefer it if it didn't add people to the buddy list itself. And I don't see a way to disable that.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 12:38 AM

Ok, so its not just me....

Hmm... for some reason I remember finding a fix to this. But it was a long time ago, and for the life of me I can not remember.

Thanks.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2006, 12:32 PM

There is a multitude of iChat add-ons that do all kinds of things.. I think I must have tried the majority of them (Chax is great). But I didn't notice any add-ons that address this issue..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

marc1
Feb 25, 2007, 01:09 PM

I was told in another forum that if you delete the "Recent Buddies" group from iChat, then people who contact you will not automatically be added.

Forum Links
Forum Rules