Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Source claims redesigned fifth-gen iPad coming in March

Source claims redesigned fifth-gen iPad coming in March
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 24, 2012, 05:53 AM

Apple may be preparing a fifth-generation iPad for release just months after the fourth-gen model, a Macotakara source claims. The person mentions few details, except that the tablet will allegedly be styled after the iPad mini, ship in March, and shrink in thickness and weight compared to this year's full-sized iPads, claims other rumors have also mentioned. Both the third- and fourth-generation iPads are slightly thicker and heavier than the iPad 2.

A March launch would mark an even faster turnaround than the one for the fourth-gen iPad, but might nevertheless make sense. The fourth-gen tablet was essentially an interim update, taking the third-gen design and upgrading it with a Lightning connector, a faster processor, a new graphics chip and better wireless support. Apple may have simply wanted to ensure that the "last" of the present iPad design was Lightning-compatible, relatively future-proofed, and able to compete with more aggressive competition including the Amazon Kindle Fire HD and the Google Nexus 10. Early sales reports would indicate that the fourth-gen iPad is on par with its predecessor, though the iPad mini is thought to be selling even better. If the alleged next iPad takes after the Mini, a fifth-gen iPad would adopt different edges, and the black and silver backs used not only for the Mini but the iPhone 5. Currently, picking a black or white full-sized iPad only changes the color of the front. There is also the possibility that rumors of a new iPad coming relatively soon could be started by sources wishing to see sales of the current iPad fall off in the next quarter; to hurt sales with a big debut from a competitor, for example, or to force Apple to show its hand on a replacement by issuing a confirmation or denial. The rumor could also be floated simply to manipulate the stock, as is often the case with unsourced rumors. AAPL closed for the holidays up slightly to $520.17, up $9 from its seasonal low point of $511 but still in the midst of an unexplained slump that has seen its price decline from a high of just over $700 per share. Despite the recent downturn, the stock is still up significantly from its 52-week low of $400.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2012, 08:02 AM

Does the black anodizing scratch to clear ? I don't normally get too critical of apple but is this good design ? Would it be too difficult to offer a silver option for the black face?

bjojade
Dec 24, 2012, 08:58 AM

Yes, the black back of the iPad mini shows scuffs and wear VERY easily. No way I'd buy one if I want it to look good for any significant period. And if I have to put it in a case to keep it looking good (which doesn't help) then what does it matter what color it is?

pairof9s
Senior User
Dec 26, 2012, 03:22 AM

Yeah...here's another Mac rumor. My Grandmother invented the iPad as well as the iPhone. She's also getting ready to release the iSet, an Apple television that is the size of the iPad but can be stretched out to 60" and magically adhere to your wall. Listing price is $3,499.00 and includes a Lightning cable....it should be here next week.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2013, 12:21 PM

well rumor has it that ALL your grandmothers and iPads are belong to US. WE will tell them when to invent new ones, and when to release them to your grubby little hands.......

and FYI... WE invent ALL internet rumors too and decide when to start circulating them
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules