Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > That was quick...

That was quick...
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 11:28 PM

Let me first say that I in no way condone torrenting of legal software and that I plan on buying 10.5 this friday from a local store. Don't ask or PM me for information, because I will ignore you. Plus I know MacNN users are better than that.

So last night a buddy of mine from college messages me with a link. Seems that someone leaked the master copy of 10.5 onto a bittorrent site sometime Wednesday. All I have to say was 'that was quick'. Usually Apple keeps these things under wraps.

Though I do remember back in college when 10.2 came out, a bunch of eMacs we ordered came with 10.2 upgrade CDs about two weeks before the official release. Good times.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 12:42 AM

This is the first version of OSX I am actually buying.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 01:19 AM

I hope whoever downloaded it is still going to buy a copy of OS X even if they downloaded it and installed it a few days before.
I like that Apple doesn't pester us with serial numbers or product activation, and actually treats us like adults and not thieves. Let's not spoil it.

xe0
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2007, 08:03 AM

Agreed mdc.

I've bought every release of OSX since Jaguar. And I'll be at the stores tomorrow ready for Leopard.
The best form of support is purchasing it.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 08:34 AM

Every downloaded OS X copy, I have bought as well. It's not that expensive really.

Esp now a new OS doesn't come out every year anymore.

I just like having it before the release.

I can then, buy it at my leisure and don't have to wait.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 08:53 AM

If I remember correctly the GM version Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger leaked nearly two weeks before its official release. So in what way is it "quick" this time around?

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
If I remember correctly the GM version Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger leaked nearly two weeks before its official release.
Same with the other Mac OSs since then. I remember installing betas of OS 8 back in the day.
So in what way is it "quick" this time around?
Well there is nowhere around where I live that actually sells OS X, and buying it online makes it cost more cause of shipping. So I'll just wait till I go to Columbus later this month and get a copy. In the meantime, I will have it installed. I may even take tomorrow off so I have the rest of the day today and tomorrow to mess with the GUI.

Pictures will be presented soon. I will probably post them in the screenshot thread in the GUI thread and the one I made as well. Wait, both I made.. not that it matters.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Same with the other Mac OSs since then. I remember installing betas of OS 8 back in the day.
??? What other Mac OSs since Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger? Betas of Mac OS 8?!

Well there is nowhere around where I live that actually sells OS X, and buying it online makes it cost more cause of shipping. So I'll just wait till I go to Columbus later this month and get a copy. In the meantime, I will have it installed. I may even take tomorrow off so I have the rest of the day today and tomorrow to mess with the GUI.

Pictures will be presented soon. I will probably post them in the screenshot thread in the GUI thread and the one I made as well. Wait, both I made.. not that it matters.
??? The topic starter is under the impression that the new Mac OS X version leaked quickly this time around. Wich isn't the case looking at previous releases like Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

I don't really get your reply.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
??? What other Mac OSs since Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger? Mac OS 8?!
I don't understand what this means at all.
??? The topic starter is under the impression that the new Mac OS X version leaked quickly this time around. Wich isn't the case looking at previous releases like Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

I don't really get your reply.
Well on internet boards when one isn't replying directly to the post above them, they usually quote the post they are replying to. Since you quoted no one, I though you were replying to my post. Often I will go to reply to the post above mine in such a way, to only find someone made a post before me. Then I have to go and edit my original post to include the post I am responding to. It's a PITA but it saves confusion.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 09:25 AM

Well on internet boards when one isn't replying directly to the post above them, they usually quote the post they are replying to. Since you quoted no one, I though you were replying to my post. Often I will go to reply to the post above mine in such a way, to only find someone made a post before me. Then I have to go and edit my original post to include the post I am responding to. It's a PITA but it saves confusion.
No in many cases it's a reply concerning the thread's topic, otherwise I would have quoted you directly. In any case, I wasn't responding to you. Hopefully it clears things up now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules