Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Newbie Questions-Must Have Software? How to Map Drive?

Newbie Questions-Must Have Software? How to Map Drive?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2006, 07:00 PM

I have my new C2D MBP on order and am a switcher from Windows XP and am wondering if there's any must have software out there, software that many mac users have. I know with Windows there are a few like this. Of course I know the mac has more built in programs and is easier to use so I likely won't need as many programs to buy.
I am undecided if I'll go with Safari for web browsing or Firefox. As well, for PIM use I'm not sure if I'll use Entourage or ical/address book/mail
What I will get though are Office 2004 since I do a lot of heavy office work as well as Macromedia/Adobe Suites since I do graphic design as well as web design.
Beyond that, I want a program that does good desktop video editing, a good newsgroup reader, probably will get toast platinum.
I will use my mac at home where I also have a home office and it's kind of going to be for all kinds of uses, maybe even a occasoinal game. I just want anything that will make my life even better wtih a mac. it's coming on Tuesday and I can't wait!

One last kind of unrelated thing. With Windows you can map a drive to a server computer. I do have a Windows based computer in my house I use as a server. I hope to switch that to a Mac Pro someday but with Xp I simply map it as a drive such as drive Z. Can I do the same with a Mac? I do have a friend who has one but his only complaint is you can select and log onto a server drive but as soon as you reboot the computer this drive is gone and you have to redo it each time.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 10:45 PM

Be sure to look into Apple's Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro. They're pretty well unrivaled for pro video editing on the Mac.

You can certainly connect to a windows server from a Mac, just do Connect to Server in the Finder's Go menu (command-K shortcut) and type the address. Windows servers will usually be in the format of smb://IPaddress/share. But yes, doing it this way requires a reconnect at each boot (although most Mac users tend to reboot VERY rarely). The network drive can be permanently mounted though - do some searches for automount on the Mac.

markw10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
With Windows you can map a drive to a server computer. I do have a Windows based computer in my house I use as a server. I hope to switch that to a Mac Pro someday but with Xp I simply map it as a drive such as drive Z. Can I do the same with a Mac? I do have a friend who has one but his only complaint is you can select and log onto a server drive but as soon as you reboot the computer this drive is gone and you have to redo it each time.
To have a network drive connect at login, you need to connect a first time (tick the box to add the password to the keychain) then drag the mounted drive's icon to the Login Items list in System Preferences > Accounts > (Your Username) > Login Items. The drive will mount automatically at every login.

As for Must-Have software I can recommend a few of the best free/donationware ones:

Adium - multi-protocol IM client.
VLC - will play back almost any video file.
Quicksilver - hard to explain all the things it can do, check it out.
Growl - system notifications
Inquisitor - enhanced searching for Safari
FontExplorerX - the best (and cheapest) font management app.
RSS Menu - keeps your feeds in the menubar.
MenuCalendarClock - turns your menubar clock into a calendar.

And if you go with Mail/iCal/Address Book:
MailAppetizer - email notifications for Mail
( Last edited by siMac; Oct 29, 2006 at 04:53 PM. )
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Forum Links
Forum Rules