Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Leopard thread

The official Leopard thread (Page 9)
Thread Tools
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Dec 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
 
I've heard the same. I like "Black Ice." Sounds cool.

Edit: Yay 400th Leopard post!
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Dec 29, 2006, 10:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mac_X View Post
256 MB of RAM for Leopard? that sounds unrealistic, wasnt it 128 for Panther and 256 for Tiger ?

also; can any one say if Leopard will run "fast" on a G4?
Leopard will run on 256Mb, but it ain't pretty. Leopard runs good right now on a 867MHz G4 with 640Mb of RAM.
     
No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2005
Status: Offline
Jan 3, 2007, 11:18 AM
 
Can I say another prayer for linear mouse acceleration instead of logarithmic?
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Jan 3, 2007, 11:31 AM
 
You can, but my small desk and I will pray against you.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
xe0
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Jan 7, 2007, 09:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
"Illuminous"? Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit and I haven't even finished reading the story.
Illuminous... I think the new Apple teaser image does have a very strong connection with this rumor. The image clearly depicts light, or illumination in some manner or form. Im calling a possibility that 'Illuminous' could be a reality.

     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Jan 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by xe0 View Post
Illuminous... I think the new Apple teaser image does have a very strong connection with this rumor. The image clearly depicts light, or illumination in some manner or form. Im calling a possibility that 'Illuminous' could be a reality.
Eh, the idea of light being connected with some knowledge or revelation is a common one. I'm sticking to my call of BS on Apple using a name as fugly as "Illuminous." (This reminds me of when J.K. Rowling heard the rumor that she was going to name a book Harry Potter and the Pillar of Storgé — she said she was offended that anyone believed it.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Jan 7, 2007, 11:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I'm sticking to my call of BS on Apple using a name as fugly as "Illuminous."
Huh? How about those wonderful names like iCal and .Mac?

And will they still call it "Mail" after it morphs into an email, RSS, to-do, and note-keeper mega-app?

Mom: Honey, how do I read my news feeds?
Dad: Uh, just go to Mail and click RSS.
Mom: That's not very intuitive. What next? Click the Start menu to shut down the computer?
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Jan 7, 2007, 11:54 PM
 
No Mom would use words that complex when dealing with a computer. That third line would more likely go like this:

Mom: I don't get it! It's too complicated!!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
arng1
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 12:14 AM
 
I imagine Time Machine will have the ability to be turned off or be customized in some way so that it doesnt take up space your hard drive right?
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 01:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
I imagine Time Machine will have the ability to be turned off or be customized in some way so that it doesnt take up space your hard drive right?
Yes.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
lesman
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 01:21 AM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Eh, the idea of light being connected with some knowledge or revelation is a common one. I'm sticking to my call of BS on Apple using a name as fugly as "Illuminous." (This reminds me of when J.K. Rowling heard the rumor that she was going to name a book Harry Potter and the Pillar of Storgé — she said she was offended that anyone believed it.)
Well isn't it possible that it won't be the final name? That may be an internal codename for it, and may change.

Or maybe not...maybe it'll stay "Illuminous".

****, Nintendo DID release a game system called the "Wii"

iPod...what the hell did that sound like to everyone when that came out? LIke ****, that's what. Now it's an icon. catch my drift?
This land is your land...SO GET CLEANIN'!!!
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 02:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
I imagine Time Machine will have the ability to be turned off or be customized in some way so that it doesnt take up space your hard drive right?
Time Machine has to have a disk dedicated to it, and you can choose which one it is, yes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
arng1
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Time Machine has to have a disk dedicated to it, and you can choose which one it is, yes.
Ahhhhh, thats really cool actually. Its kinda like a raid-1 configuration.
     
OreoCookie  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
Ahhhhh, thats really cool actually. Its kinda like a raid-1 configuration.
It's not like RAID1. Time Machine is a backup solution and RAID1 isn't. A RAID1 protects against hardware failure of one of the drives and allows to continue using the machine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
arng1
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It's not like RAID1. Time Machine is a backup solution and RAID1 isn't. A RAID1 protects against hardware failure of one of the drives and allows to continue using the machine.
why not, it backs up information on another hard drive right? Im only talking from a slight comparison point of view. Data mirroring is duplicating right? At least I thought it was but I could be wrong, I never worked with Raid-1 only Raid-0.
( Last edited by arng1; Jan 8, 2007 at 03:02 PM. )
     
bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: columbus
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 03:22 PM
 
Ok this is really simple. Say it over and over... and if you still don't get it just believe it.

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP

If you delete or modify a file off a RAID it's gone or changed, you just deleted or changed it! If you had that file BACKED UP you could RESTORE it. RAID is fault protection. It will not protect against accidental file modification, deletion or file corruption.

Also, RAID-0 is not really a RAID because by name RAID is REDUNDANT, RAID-0 is not. We just still call it RAID for some reason...

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

Anyone who says the "I" is for inexpensive Disks is a freeken tard too. Just think about it for a sec and you'll see how stupid that is. "what if I had a Redundant Array of Expensive Disks" what the hell is an "inexpensive" disk any freeken way.. and when does an insxpensive disk become an "expensive one" the logic is just failed. It stands for Independent.. sheesh!

Now say it again RAID is not backup!

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900
     
OreoCookie  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 03:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
why not, it backs up information on another hard drive right? Im only talking from a slight comparison point of view. Data mirroring is duplicating right? At least I thought it was but I could be wrong, I never worked with Raid-1 only Raid-0.
No, a RAID1 is not a backup.
If you accidentally delete a file, it's gone. If an app corrupts a file, it's gone. With Time Machine, you can still access your backups.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 03:54 PM
 
I hope Time Machine will allow you to automatically mount network volumes for backing up.
     
arng1
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 08:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by bartman00 View Post
Ok this is really simple. Say it over and over... and if you still don't get it just believe it.

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP

If you delete or modify a file off a RAID it's gone or changed, you just deleted or changed it! If you had that file BACKED UP you could RESTORE it. RAID is fault protection. It will not protect against accidental file modification, deletion or file corruption.

Also, RAID-0 is not really a RAID because by name RAID is REDUNDANT, RAID-0 is not. We just still call it RAID for some reason...

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

Anyone who says the "I" is for inexpensive Disks is a freeken tard too. Just think about it for a sec and you'll see how stupid that is. "what if I had a Redundant Array of Expensive Disks" what the hell is an "inexpensive" disk any freeken way.. and when does an insxpensive disk become an "expensive one" the logic is just failed. It stands for Independent.. sheesh!

Now say it again RAID is not backup!

Bart
ok, point taken. I apologize for not being as informed as you when it comes to raid, but there really is no need to belittle people....we are not arguing the meaning of life here, and im not one of those people who insist on being right even when corrected. thank you.
( Last edited by arng1; Jan 8, 2007 at 08:22 PM. )
     
Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2001
Status: Offline
Jan 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by bartman00 View Post
Anyone who says the "I" is for inexpensive Disks is a freeken tard too.
Bart
Uh, expensive disks are server-class SCSI disks, specialized arrays of disks (i.e. can't just take a bunch of normal disks and make an array), or other more exotic things that were in use back when the acronym was made. RAID can mean either independent or inexpensive with complete validity. Watch who you're calling 'tard' until you've learned a bit more.

That said, the hardware controllers required for RAID5 to not suck really mean that RAID is no longer inexpensive. RAIDZ brings it back to its original concept a bit more.
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 10, 2007, 12:24 AM
 
So who thinks the iphone animated interface is a hint of 10.5 with core animations.

I like the black dock also.
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Jan 10, 2007 at 01:48 AM. )

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Status: Offline
Jan 10, 2007, 12:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
So who thinks the animated interface is a hint of 10.5 with core animations.

I like the black dock also.
Sorry, I must have missed something, but to what are you referring?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 10, 2007, 01:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Sorry, I must have missed something, but to what are you referring?
sorry, the iphone.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Status: Offline
Jan 10, 2007, 02:20 AM
 
Ooh, possibly. As long as they keep the animations subtle, I'd be a very happy camper. Black = teh sexy... *drools at the prospect of seeing a black themed OS X on a black MacBook*

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 10, 2007, 06:31 PM
 
Think about this... Remember that patent for the accelerometer in the mighty mouse apple just filed?

What could that be for? Gesture based interface? Instead of scrolling through pics how about fick your wrist left and right like the iPhone handles photos.


Hmmm

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 16, 2007, 06:58 PM
 
What would you guys think if 10.5's dock looked something like this?

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5196/dockxu7.png

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Jan 16, 2007, 07:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
What would you guys think if 10.5's dock looked something like this?

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5196/dockxu7.png
I'd probably think something like "meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow".
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 17, 2007, 01:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I'd probably think something like "meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow".
I think it would be great as items are wider spaced, have the names permanently and each end of the dock can have arrows to indicate "more" like the dashboard dock does now.

If an app on the next screen needs your attention it can flash the arrow.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Jan 17, 2007, 05:18 AM
 
It looks sexy that's for sure. But it's huge and it can't be made much smaller either if you want to be able to read the text. The text is a problem anyway - what happens when stuff has long names? And then it works purely for horizontal dock alignment. It won't cater to people who prefer a vertical dock (like myself).
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
 
Either way I think apple should make it so the dock is always taking up the whole width of your screen and you can't put windows or icons behind it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Jan 17, 2007, 07:12 PM
 
I'd rather Apple replaced the Dock with a mini-Dock on the right-side of the menu-bar, holding only folders, minimized windows, and running applications. The Spotlight menu would then handle launching, and the "menulings" changed into either running apps (remember Docklings?) or Widgets.

While I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Jan 17, 2007, 07:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I'd rather Apple replaced the Dock with a mini-Dock on the right-side of the menu-bar, holding only folders, minimized windows, and running applications. The Spotlight menu would then handle launching, and the "menulings" changed into either running apps (remember Docklings?) or Widgets.

While I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

     
Todder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2007
Status: Offline
Jan 22, 2007, 04:42 PM
 
will i be able to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard on my black macbook?

will it be able to support the new operating system?
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 22, 2007, 06:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Todder View Post
will i be able to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard on my black macbook?

will it be able to support the new operating system?
no




"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Jan 22, 2007, 07:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Todder View Post
will i be able to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard on my black macbook?

will it be able to support the new operating system?
As far as anyone knows, yes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Jan 22, 2007, 07:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
no





Was your sarcastic response necessary?
     
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: President Skroob's Office
Status: Offline
Jan 23, 2007, 03:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Was your sarcastic response necessary?
How can it be answered seriously if the product isn't officially announced with system requirements?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"
     
mibu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2007
Status: Offline
Jan 23, 2007, 07:13 PM
 
In Leopard 9a343, the Media Browser (known from Apple's own applications like Pages) has been integrated into the Open Dialog:

http://babygotmac.com/wp-content/upl...cture%2036.png
     
cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Windsor, NY
Status: Offline
Jan 27, 2007, 08:33 PM
 
My girlfriends brother works as a cable technician and went to install an upgraded internet system at a developers house today, and the guy was working on leopard. He told him (James) that it would be released in June. He also got to see how the OS supports up to 16 different desktops, sorta like Linux does. He also said that it is a glossy black interface. Im not trying to spread rumors, im just letting you guys know what i just found out. For reference, he (james) isnt too familiar with apple products, he owns a zune, lol, so for him to come and tell me alot about Leopard is something good, since he HAD to get his info from some source.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Jan 27, 2007, 08:48 PM
 
I'm surprised we haven't seen more on Time Machine. That's one feature that really interests me. However, I suspect I'd want something like a 750 GB drive to backup my 300+ GB of stuff.

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
My girlfriends brother works as a cable technician and went to install an upgraded internet system at a developers house today, and the guy was working on leopard. He told him (James) that it would be released in June. He also got to see how the OS supports up to 16 different desktops, sorta like Linux does. He also said that it is a glossy black interface. Im not trying to spread rumors, im just letting you guys know what i just found out. For reference, he (james) isnt too familiar with apple products, he owns a zune, lol, so for him to come and tell me alot about Leopard is something good, since he HAD to get his info from some source.
The developer wouldn't necessarily actually know when Leopard is being released. Maybe he was thinking it'd be released around WWDC, and WWDC is in June.

I might have guessed it might be around April or May.
     
OreoCookie  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Jan 27, 2007, 09:08 PM
 
Nah, you can even guess the build number that's going gold.
If it's too buggy, engineers will know it's not ready yet.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
kick52
Baninated
Join Date: May 2005
Location: England
Status: Offline
Jan 27, 2007, 09:30 PM
 
it would be cool if apple would let us customize the dock loads.. and have 100s of options, like spacing, transparency, other stuff, etc.
     
amycishere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2007
Status: Offline
Jan 29, 2007, 08:55 PM
 
I would think Apple would want to release it sooner than April or May because Vista was just announced on the news.
     
Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2001
Status: Offline
Jan 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
it would be cool if apple would let us customize the dock loads.. and have 100s of options, like spacing, transparency, other stuff, etc.
Down that road madness lies...

     
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Status: Offline
Jan 30, 2007, 12:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
Down that road madness lies...
Oh God, anything but that. Seriously, that program just has way too many effing options. It's overwhelming.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species
     
Gavin
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle
Status: Offline
Jan 30, 2007, 02:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Oh God, anything but that. Seriously, that program just has way too many effing options. It's overwhelming.
Any program that doesn't let me make the 7 key on my virtual ECalculator bright purple sucks
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!
     
kick52
Baninated
Join Date: May 2005
Location: England
Status: Offline
Jan 30, 2007, 02:40 PM
 
heh, well MORE options..
     
SMacTech
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trafalmadore
Status: Offline
Feb 3, 2007, 11:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
He also said that it is a glossy black interface. Im not trying to spread rumors, im just letting you guys know what i just found out.
This is BS, there is no glossy black interface.
     
siMac
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Status: Offline
Feb 5, 2007, 09:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
With regards to the interface update... is this it?



I hope there is something better in store. If those "chalky" white buttons go system wide, it'll suck.
I like this. But that's just me...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3
     
siMac
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Status: Offline
Feb 5, 2007, 09:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I'd probably think something like "meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow".
I know you can read my thoughts boy....
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,