Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook G4 trackpad issue.

ibook G4 trackpad issue.
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2007, 09:41 PM

The HD of my iBook g4 died so I went to Comp USA and bought a new one and for $30.00 they installed it for me. when I get home and install Tiger the trackpad wasn't working, I need to use an external Mouse to finished everything. Right now it doesn't show anything on system preferences it seems that the iBook don't recognize that it has a trackpad... did Comp USA broke my iBook? or this is a simple task to fix it myself??

help
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 22, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
did Comp USA broke my iBook?
It sure sounds like it. Replacing the HD in the iBook requires a lot of disassembly/ reassembly. I would bring it back to Comp USA immediately.

techound1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2007, 08:42 PM

They neglected to plug the trackpad back into the board. Connection is under the keyboard/ram shield area. You can probably spot it yourself.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2007, 11:49 PM

ok, I went to Comp USA and they fix it. BUT.... when I return home, I insert a CD and the iBook scratch it when I eject it!!!! what's wrong with this store??? they fix something and brake something else?? What can I do to fix this CD issue? it literally scratch the CD when goes out! it's like the iBook has a needle inside in the CD drive! help me!

or... do you think I need to go back to Comp USA??

rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 24, 2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
do you think I need to go back to Comp USA??
Yes. Unfortunately CompUSA doesnt have a good reputation for Mac repairs. The iBook disassembly / reassembly is complicated--not something for amateurs.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2007, 11:26 AM

It Was a nightmare! They Fixed the trackpad and damage the CD-ROM drive so everytime I insert a CD it scratch it from top to bottom, so you can Imagine the on and outs from Comp USA! Now It fixed... but I will never go back!!!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2007, 05:26 PM

Ouch! I would email Apple about your experience with CompUSA since it's one of the Apple Authorized Service Providers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules