Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I am using 10.5.2 and I have a Unix Exe app and I can't open it?

I am using 10.5.2 and I have a Unix Exe app and I can't open it?
ifilmmovies
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 04:39 PM

Well I am back again with one of those questions just when I think I am getting use to 10.5 it throws me a curveball.

I am using 10.5.2 and I have a Unix Exe application and I can't open it? It also states that it's a Power PC application as well. I could not find a place to open with Rosetta so I am lost. Well not totally I did come here looking for an answer if there is one.

Thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 05:07 PM

What exactly are you looking at?

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 05:23 PM

Application looks blackish grey in the top left corner are the words "exec".

In the info window it states the following:

Kind: Unix Executable File (Power PC)
there is the basic file info size and name of the program. It was created in Jan. 21 2004 that's why I think it will not open as it's to old for 10.5 as it opens in Tiger easy.

Thank you for your reply

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 05:36 PM

What is the application?

Also, there is no Rosetta option for PowerPC apps on Intel Mac since you can only run PowerPC apps in Rosetta. The Rosetta checkbox is for Universal apps. If you're on a PowerPC Mac, there is no Rosetta.
Vandelay Industries

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 05:39 PM

I am on a MacBook Pro the application is ArtMatic Pro 3.6 it worked well on this laptop when I was running 10.4 yet fails now with 10.5.2.

I understand your point as well thank you.
( Last edited by ifilmmovies; Jan 31, 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: misspelled a word)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 05:54 PM

I think the problem is that the application is corrupted. It shouldn't be showing up as a Unix executable. When you installed Leopard, did you leave ArtMatic on the drive or did you restore it from a backup? Btw, I don't think it's a Leopard issue. OS compatibility problems don't cause what you're seeing.
Vandelay Industries

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 06:13 PM

I installed Leopard and I dragged ArtMatic over from a disk as well as some others. I have the install disks for them yet was trying to save time. I found all the other install disks yet some are missing when we moved. I thought I had that one covered since I do filming and photos I try to have all my things backed up and disks on hand. Just three apps are giving me problems this one is the most important.
I just need to find the install disk then thank you.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 08:25 PM

What is the format of the disk it came from? Older Mac files and apps are dual-forked files. If you copy them to a non-Mac formatted disk (except NTFS PC disks) then you lose the resource fork and corrupt the file.

Also, according to the developer's site, version 4.6 is Leopard compatible and Universal. Even if you reinstall it from the install disc, it may not work in Leopard.

Out of curiosity, why are you still on 10.5.2? There have been many bug fixes released by Apple. The current is 10.5.6.
Vandelay Industries

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 08:36 PM

As to the answer for the Disk it is formated to Mac Extended format and I do think it was corrupted in transfer as I have had many other files com up bad.

As to the question why am I not using 10.5.6 it is because I like to keep the laptop clean and fast I have had it on 10.5.2 since last fall. I had to update recently because of several of my programs requested it upon launching. To me less is best that's why.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 09:07 PM

I don't follow your reasoning why not updating is less and better. System updates don't add bloat. They replace existing files with better optimized files. Usually, newer is faster and better.
Vandelay Industries

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 09:28 PM

to some just to see how fast the system was going to run as I am formating my laptop in two weeks I installed 10.5.4 and am running it now. There is a slow down in some processes yet not entirely. I did not to update to 5.4 because I needed to update Quicktime as well doing so was good yet the overall speed has declined.

The reason for not updating is only because this laptop is a first generation 1.83 GHz Intel Dual Core this puppy runs so hot from the time I got it I tried all kinds of ways to keep it cool. Running Temp on CPU right now is 122 F yet try to render an item such I do in filming that's when this thing will go way up there. I use SMC to control the fan speed and Temperature Monitor to warn me when it gets to high. If here was only a program that would shut it down or make it go to sleep when it gets to high.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 06:19 AM

Your machine DOES shut down when the temparature gets too high - the processor simply shuts off.

If it hasn't so far, it's never got "too high" and you need to stop second-guessing your hardware.

What makes you think that you're better at figuring safe operating temperatures than the people who built and programmed the hardware?

Also, System updates have in the past included power management improvements which - *gasp* - reduce operating termperatures.

Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2009, 01:39 PM

Bottom line, NOT updating is more likely to cause problems.

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 11:23 AM

Bottom line I did not com here to TROLL and you guys do not know my laptop temps also you do not know how well I know my mac and macs in general.

To: Spheric Harlot or to others who think I am a "Rookie" about updates and such

Two questions please is 198F to 221F a good working temp for a laptop just to render a video project? I bought this laptop with Tiger installed on it it ran cooler then yet when upgrading more and more the temps grew hotter and longer.

Second question do you make movies importing, editing then exporting them to a DVD and then and sell them may I ask?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2009, 12:06 PM

Okay, I'm gonna do this once. Just once.

Originally Posted by ifilmmovies View Post
Bottom line I did not com here to TROLL and you guys do not know my laptop temps also you do not know how well I know my mac and macs in general.
You didn't bother mentioning either, and staying four system updates behind the current update (on the current operating system version) seems like an ill-informed attitude stemming from vague suspicions that non-updated systems run stabler.

This makes sense for a professional with a running, stable system and possibly known incompatibilities between lifeblood software and recent updates *cough*digidesign*cough*, but if you've actually got problems, it's kind of weird.

You just didn't seem like a very informed user.

To: Spheric Harlot or to others who think I am a "Rookie" about updates and such

Two questions please is 198F to 221F a good working temp for a laptop just to render a video project? I bought this laptop with Tiger installed on it it ran cooler then yet when upgrading more and more the temps grew hotter and longer.
a) The first-generation MacBook Pros are fairly prone to heat - in some cases, due to misapplied thermal paste.

b) Do you have pets?

c) It may get hot, but it obviously hasn't got TOO hot if you have never seen it shut down - because, as mentioned, the Intel hardware has a safety mode that will do just that before the hardware sustains any heat damage.

Second question do you make movies importing, editing then exporting them to a DVD and then and sell them may I ask?
I'm in audio. What's it to you?

Did you bother actually researching the heat issue before deciding to shred around here, make amateur(ish) statements, and indirectly insult people who let you know that your techspertise might be slightly misguided?

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 12:41 PM

Okay, I'm gonna do this once. Also......then I'm outta here.........

Yes I know of the paste is way to much as Apple has been posted on that did I do my research yes. However when going all the way up to Apple they did not want to reset the heat sink as it was not covered under a warranty nor the extended warranty.

This is not the answers or statements of one who is trying to help:

"What makes you think that you're better at figuring safe operating temperatures than the people who built and programmed the hardware?

Also, System updates have in the past included power management improvements which - *gasp* - reduce operating termperatures."

I have been around the block and long enough on my Macs since my first 512e yet to what I have now and still more to come. Been there from the beginning and learned from the problems that Apple has made. Yet I do not brandish about with statements towards someone as you should not treat people in a way that demeans them.

Do I know the programers of today no yet when I started in this bizz I was a Beta tester for an Apple Certified training center. I was one of the first to test FCP 1 when it came out and we did talk to the programmers then when they came to ask for our opinion to make their product better. From Apple to Adobe.

However since Apple came out with FCP 3 and Panther I was more interested in making something instead of always fixing the Extension Manager and worrying about the Catalog B tree. So I make movie and teach FCP and I do not treat clients or others with contempt or making them feel small and puny. I do look and learn from others yet those who belittle me or others are not really helping they are just flaming.

Now when you're done flaming me please turn out the light. Mr. Moderator please close this posting as it has come to an end.

Oh! by the way went to "http://www.myspace.com/analogika" nice setup.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 09:20 PM

It looks like you may have a Unix binary:

Generally, you can run this under a shell session. Simply fire up the Terminal, drag the binary onto the window, and hit enter.

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 03:35 PM

I like the idea and I thank you for your thoughts on this now I will try to get it to work. Will let you know the outcome shortly. NOW THATS what I am talking about.........

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 03:57 PM

Bummer comes up with error yet one of them looked like they would open. I have solved the Artmatic Pro application one just getting this info I might be able to get the others to work some how.

Thanks for the thought and a new lead.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2009, 08:05 PM

...you do not know how well I know my mac and macs in general.
Haha! When I read that you copy files from your install CDs to your Mac to "back them up", I knew you didn't know anything about your Mac. No offense...

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 09:48 PM

Right thats what I said......

I do copy files that I backup that are self-contained applications. There still are some out there yeah it's getting harder since OS X came around before one could just drag and drop an app. Now you do need the install CD or DVD or DVD-DL. However there are plugins for FCP, Photoshop and full blown applications that can be dragged and dropped. Sorry I do use install disks for most of everything yet I use CDs and DVDs with the extras and drag em over.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2009, 04:33 AM

Right thats what I said......

I do copy files that I backup that are self-contained applications. There still are some out there yeah it's getting harder since OS X came around before one could just drag and drop an app.
Funny, I've been using Macs for twenty years, and it's never been as reliably drag-and-drop as on Mac OS X.

There's pretty much nothing that is NOT a drag-and-drop install under OS X that didn't (or wouldn't have) shat all over the System Folder in OS 9 - and plenty of cases where apps are FAR better-behaved under OS X (RealPlayer comes to mind).

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2009, 06:47 AM

Regarding the unix app, which app is it exactly? If it is an open source app, chances are that you can install it from scratch. Even if it is not open source, I still think chances are good that you'll find Intel binaries.
These temperatures are nothing out of the ordinary and not damaging to your computer hardware. To your lap (heat) and your ears (fans), perhaps, but not to your hardware. There is no need to worry.

Intel cpus have a built-in emergency mode on chip: if the temperature gets too high (as measured by the heat sensors), it will go into emergency mode and throttle down your cpu to a very low clock speed. At this speed, it uses much, much less power and the cpu cools down. There is no need to worry and no need for manual intervention.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2009, 06:51 AM

There's not much point in telling him that AGAIN.

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2009, 02:39 PM

Thats the best part of OS X all of he smaller apps can be dragged and dropped to another location. My point is that since PhotoShop 6 that was the last time one could just drag and drop when I tried PS 7 it was asking for files that were not installed. So when CS came out there are files everywhere as with other apps as well. Did ever notice where they stick these files. So I have a several DVDs that just have the smaller apps yet with the large apps you do need the install disks.

Again as for the Dual Core could one note that I do have the first generation of the laptop and it did have to many problems with the cores.

Please note and read if you want to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_core
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/22...perature-guide

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2009, 04:06 PM

Do you expect to be taken seriously?

Those links have absolutely nothing to do with any supposed "heat problem".

The first one's a general blurb about the processor you have in your MacBook. Well done.

The second one's a temperature guide to A DIFFERENT GENERATION OF PROCESSORS.

And again: If your processor were TOO HOT, it would SHUT DOWN. If it hasn't shut down, the temperatures are NOT TOO HOT FOR THE PROCESSOR.

No, but we've been getting a pretty good idea.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Feb 5, 2009 at 04:14 PM. )

manf0001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2009, 07:06 AM

Have you Tried using X11 to open Run the unix app.

It normaly dosen't get installed by default, you would either have to do a custom install and just select X11 or I think you can still download it. ( I know you used to when I did support for Apple)

Also if I'm not mistaken Rosetta was designed to run PowerPC OSX Apps on the intel.. It was to help make the transition to Intel easier and allowed you to run your PowerPC apps that weren't Recompiled for the Intel yet. I'm pretty sure Rosetta wont run Unix apps.. only Mac OS X Apps for PowerPC

Thanks I hope this helps

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2009, 10:09 AM

Under Leopard, this should no longer be necessary (there's no X11 app to launch manually). X11 automatically launches if/when an application needs it.

There are a couple of things you can do to check if the binary has all its dependencies set. You can use
Code:
otool -L filename
and see if all its dependencies are satisfied. I'm also assuming this app has been compiled and ready to use? You haven't given us much information as to what this application is.

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2009, 10:33 AM

Tried X11 even just days afterwards yet X11 did not recognize it at all.

The application has been working since I installed it from the installer I believe the app was corrupted when it was either transfered, or burned and then when transfered. Either way I have never seen anything like this before.

OreoCookie
Feb 6, 2009, 11:22 AM

Again, what application are you talking about? What does it do?

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2009, 01:18 PM

ArtMatic Pro 3.6 it was loading fine in Tiger yet when reloading in 10.5.2 it looked like a Unix Exe icon.

Since then I have installed 10.5.4 still holding out from going to latest update which I have been grilled to death.......yet when I go over to macfixit there are still others that are having problems so Im waiting for them to clear up. More so with 10.5.6 where there are far more errors.

Thank you for your input OreoCookie and sorry for not posting an answer. As to ArtMatic Pro it is working fine since the install and with the update as well. Still need to work on the heat levels. Going to get a fan unit for the laptop as I have been using a fan to blow under it while in use it does not cool it enough though.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2009, 01:26 PM

Is no one thoroughly reading this thread?

It was already covered that it was Artmatic Pro and it is not a Unix app. It just got corrupted and needed to be reinstalled.
Vandelay Industries

OreoCookie
Feb 6, 2009, 01:40 PM

Yes, my bad, I missed that.

ifilmmovies  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2009, 01:40 PM

Thank you Art

Forum Links
Forum Rules