Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to manually update OSX?

how to manually update OSX?
evoLver
Mar 14, 2011, 11:10 PM

My laptop is primarily for audio work. I have been advised to not use the automatic software update, not really sure why, but I've heard it from multiple sources.

When I go to the Apple site, it is very confusing as far as what to download, and in what order to install it. I think my OS is about 2 years old, 10.6 perhaps.

Can anyone walk me through it?

much thanks!
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2011, 11:52 PM

There's no reason not to use Software Update. The person who recommended against it probably did so based on old information. In previous years sometimes people would experience problems with Software Update that could be cured by manually applying combo updates. I haven't heard about people having to resort to that for quite some time, and besides since your Mac's OS hasn't been updated in a while you'll be getting the combo update from Software Update anyway. Apple also improved Software Update's installation reliability because in older version of the OS it was possible to corrupt an installation by using certain files while the update was being performed. Now updates that have system wide effects require the user to be logged out before the update is installed.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Mar 15, 2011, 07:46 AM

I agree that using Software Update is fine these days. If your friends have a good reason not to use it, have them detail that so we can respond.

You can figure out exactly which version of the OS you have by selecting "About this Mac..." from the apple menu.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mvip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2011, 05:09 PM

Actually, this is not BS at all. 10.6.6 is known to cause issues with some audio apps, such as Logic Pro (source).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2011, 02:47 AM

What does that have to do with updating via Software Update - after the obligatory waiting period?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2011, 04:52 PM

I use Google to search for the update I want. You can generally find incremental updates through that. Just search for "10.6.1 Combo Update" and then "10.6.2 Combo Update" etc., etc. Download each one and install in order. Be advised you can't uninstall the update.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ibook_steve
Mar 17, 2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I use Google to search for the update I want. You can generally find incremental updates through that. Just search for "10.6.1 Combo Update" and then "10.6.2 Combo Update" etc., etc. Download each one and install in order. Be advised you can't uninstall the update.
You don't need to download and install them all in order if you are downloading combo updates. You only need the latest one. The whole idea of the combo updates is that they already include all prior updates so you don't have to download and install them individually!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

evoLver  (op)
Mar 20, 2011, 09:28 PM

So, if there's "no reason no to use the automatic software update" (according to one poster) then why do they offer the download and install option?

And does the combo update all apps, like itunes?
15" Macbook Pro / 2.2ghz / 4g ram / 10.6

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 03:08 AM

No, the combo update updates only the OS components.

IT tech support and system management require offline update archives, as does anybody whose production machines are not directly connected to the interwebs.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2011, 10:53 AM

If you want to go all manual and want to know what to install, you can do it by running software updates, write down the list of softwares it wants to update, then cancel the update, and go the the Apple download page and search for all the updates. If you have the time to do it, you can do it however you want it.
Perhaps the reason Apple makes the download and install option or download only is because some people don't have the lightning fast high-speed internet connection, and some people want to be present when the install takes place, but the download will take 120 minutes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 01:20 PM

Or, as I said, they have twenty-five computers to update through a single connection.

Or, as a number of studios I know, they don't actually have their production machines connected to any network whatsoever.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 02:01 PM

Oh, I was confused. I thought he wanted to manually update to avoid breaking software compatibility.

If it's a small office, you might as well set up a server with an Apple Software Update service running. Then your computers can download updates from the server instead of from Apple.com. Then you'd only need one computer connected to the internet.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2011, 02:27 PM

No no, you're quite correct.

His question was why manual update downloads are even offered if it makes no sense to apply them that way in his particular situation.

The reply, of course, is that there are a number of other scenarios where it *does* make sense.

Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2011, 11:14 AM

Manual updates will allow you to update to a specific os version that you know to be problem free.
Also, manual updates allow you to easily update multiple machines with a single image, which can save some time.

As an example, I ran into a nasty bug in 10.6.3 that would not let me transfer many file types to a NAS that was being used as a file server. Any file type with extended attributes would get a permissions error.

So I had to downgrade to 10.6 then manually bring it to 10.6.2. This is just one example.
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

Forum Links
Forum Rules