Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Tim Cook right for Apple?

Is Tim Cook right for Apple? (Page 2)
arrrc  (op)
Banned
Apr 24, 2013, 07:25 PM

Tim Cook said the iMac launch should have waited? And the next quarter has lower earnings projections... and he repeated that fall is when new products will arrive.

Have things actually slowed down at Apple or am I seeing things?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2013, 07:27 PM

There have been some massive moves at Apple.

Jony taking over iOS is just one of them. I suspect that we'll see quite a bit of change, came fall.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
There have been some massive moves at Apple.

Jony taking over iOS is just one of them. I suspect that we'll see quite a bit of change, came fall.
Don't forget the move away from Samsung as a supplier, which is seismic in the industry. I hope Apple can manage that transition well.

mindwaves
Apr 24, 2013, 07:57 PM

I am a little saddened to hear product changes in the fall. It seems like a long way off, but it is nearly summer, so not too far, I guess.

I played around with a Samsung Galaxy III yesterday and came back impressed. Samsung uses that giant screen very effectively.

arrrc  (op)
Banned
Apr 24, 2013, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I am a little saddened to hear product changes in the fall. It seems like a long way off, but it is nearly summer, so not too far, I guess.

I played around with a Samsung Galaxy III yesterday and came back impressed. Samsung uses that giant screen very effectively.
I tried out the Galaxy Note 8 today. The latest tablet with the stylus. Blew me away. I dislike Android but the form factor and design is awesome. I like holding it way better than the Mini that I tested. But I just hate Android so it's a no go for me.

I feel Apple is really starting to lag on design: the iPad Mini isn't really a very nice design in my opinion.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2013, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Aren't profits facts and valuation opinion?
Yes.

Felix Simon may be on to something here:
Apple is trading at an astonishingly low valuation, with a p/e ratio in single digits, because it has now become that animal investors like least: a slow-growing tech stock. Either one is fine on its own, and both slow-growing stocks and fast-growing tech stocks can support much higher multiples than Apple is seeing right now. But conservative investors, who like slow-growing stocks with high dividends, are constitutionally uncomfortable with the volatility inherent in the tech world. And technology investors, who are happy taking that kind of risk, want to see substantial growth. Apple, notwithstanding the fact that it’s one of the most valuable companies in the world, is falling through the capital-markets cracks.

This pretty well explains the low P/E: they're profitable now, but not growing enough.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by arrrc View Post
Why are you still talking about this?

Hey, do you have a Mini? Is it any good?
Mainly because I just happened across more information that shows how wrong you were.

Also, I have an iPad 2. Yes, it's good. The mini is too small for my needs, but I do find myself needing a retina display (sheet music can get icky to look at at the standard resolution), and I'd love a lighter, faster iPad than the one I've got.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 02:26 AM

I have the Mini and Maxi pads.

Despite the resolution on the Mini, if I actually have to hold the thing, it's what I prefer. If it's in my lap, Maxi is superior.

I ultimately like the iPhone 5 the best.

arrrc  (op)
Banned
Apr 25, 2013, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Mainly because I just happened across more information that shows how wrong you were.

Also, I have an iPad 2. Yes, it's good. The mini is too small for my needs, but I do find myself needing a retina display (sheet music can get icky to look at at the standard resolution), and I'd love a lighter, faster iPad than the one I've got.
Uh... you said Apple releases iOS just before the holidays, and something about doing the same thing with idevices, which is not true. So I guess you're wrong?

Anyway, why an iPad 2?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 03:31 AM

Uh... you said Apple releases iOS just before the holidays, and something about doing the same thing with idevices, which is not true. So I guess you're wrong?
I even quoted the bit you got completely wrong in my post. I don't see how you could be confused.

Anyway, why an iPad 2?
Because the only other option at the time was the iPad 3, and I got a really, really good deal on it. I had no idea whether it would prove useful, so that deal pushed me over the edge, since I could just try it for a year or so and then sell it with very little loss, if any.

Turns out that it's worth about $2000 in dedicated studio hardware controllers, so it's earned its keep and will be replaced by (probably) an iPad 5.

P
Apr 25, 2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I have the Mini and Maxi pads.

Despite the resolution on the Mini, if I actually have to hold the thing, it's what I prefer. If it's in my lap, Maxi is superior.

I ultimately like the iPhone 5 the best.
I also have the mini. For the base iPad usage - browsing the web - it's the best device I've tried. I can hold it in one hand without straining, it's thin and light enough to fit in a jacket pocket if I have to, it's big enough to read books comfortably on, and the screen is sharp enough that I don't care at normal usage distance. The advantages of the bigger one is mainly that it can be used as a ten finger keyboard in much more convenient manner. I like the Retina display on the iPad 3/4, but the current version is too heavy for my taste.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 04:06 AM

^ I agree.

I love the form factor of the iPad mini, but since its justification to me is in usefulness for music, it needs to be able to display sheet music in near-A4 size, and it needs the surface area to function effectively as a hardware controller and programmer.

I'd love for them to cut the weight and thickness of the large iPad down by a third or even half.

Tim Cook said the iMac launch should have waited? And the next quarter has lower earnings projections... and he repeated that fall is when new products will arrive.

Have things actually slowed down at Apple or am I seeing things?
The iPhone is certainly beginning to level off, along with the rest of the market.

The dearth of product updates (I don't know whether his comments would include things like spec upgrades in MacBooks) is certainly not out of the ordinary for Apple — except for the languishing Mac Pro line, of course…that's extreme.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2013, 10:00 AM

There isn't all that much left to wow people with, at least in the current phone factor. iOS and Android are extremely mature OS incarnations. I use both of them daily and the differences between them are so minor, they are hardly worth mentioning (sorry fanboys).

Both an iPhone and a Nexus 4 (or other recent Android device) will do a great job.

I think google is on the right track with glass - still in its infancy of course, but on the right track nonetheless. The next step is not to design a better phone, but to make the phone disappear. It's not about finding a new way to interact with icons on a screen, it's about finding a new way to interact with machines.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
except for the languishing Mac Pro line, of course…that's extreme.
I just picked up a used 8 core 2.26 tower with 16GB of RAM and RAID setup in the drive bays for really cheap. That thing is still a beast.

pwfletcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2013, 06:43 PM

We have to get someone to replace Tim Cook ... we are going downhill fast. My stock is in the crapper ;-(

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post
We have to get someone to replace Tim Cook ... we are going downhill fast. My stock is in the crapper ;-(
Let me guess: you bought at the top. LOL.

-t

Sealobo
Apr 26, 2013, 11:16 AM

https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/337478

some people are paying crazy amount of money to have coffee with Cook.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2013, 12:31 PM

If you're spending half a million dollars on charity, meeting Tim Cook is the icing, not the motivation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

It's like paying for advertising. Think about all the free press you're getting. Best bang for the buck ever.

-t

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2013, 04:14 PM

Yes.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Forum Links
Forum Rules