Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > best router for the dollar

best router for the dollar
nostar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 11:01 AM

i need to update my wireless router (i have an old linksys befw11s4 802.11b). i'm looking at the newest linksys router (WRT300N 802.11n). is this compatible with airport extreme? i have it built into my new macbook.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2006, 11:36 AM

Don't get a "pre N" or "Draft N" product. The latest reviews I've seen are uniformly bleak in terms of the "Draft N" products' performance, and none of them are guaranteed to work with the final N standard. Better to get a standard 802.11G product-of which there are hundreds.

I like Linksys products, so the first one I'll suggest is a WRT54G; it has a 4 port wired router and "G" wireless. Try to avoid the hardware version 5 product-they goobered that one up to some extent.

D-Link, Netgear, Buffalo and so on all make this sort of product. And they all support and comply with the standards (as long as you stay away from any "N" stuff) so they'll all work with your MacBook's AirPort card.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nostar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 01:36 PM

thank you so much for your input. much appreciated! cheers!

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 03:01 PM

I've been very happy with the Linksys WRT54G myself, and have purchased it for several of my clients.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2006, 08:41 PM

I believe that Linksys now sells the WRT54GL which is what the old WRT54Gs were (before rev. 5).

Another wireless router that I like is the D-Link DGL-4300. There are many customizable settings and also has 4 gigabit ethernet ports. The only problem I had was that the configuration page didn't work very well with Safari. Fortunately, I had a PC next to me and just used that to configure it. Tom's Hardware has a nice review...

Review: D-Link Wireless 108G Gaming Router | Tom's Networking

Good luck!
( Last edited by chefpastry; Aug 23, 2006 at 02:14 AM. )

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by nostar
i need to update my wireless router (i have an old linksys befw11s4 802.11b). i'm looking at the newest linksys router (WRT300N 802.11n). is this compatible with airport extreme? i have it built into my new macbook.
I have the 300n and its speed connection is way more stable than the 54g I had, there is still no aagreement on how to deploy the 'n' standard so I would get this if your looking for one now. All the Netgear wireless (went thru 4 of them) routers SU*K AS*
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
I have the 300n and its speed connection is way more stable than the 54g I had, there is still no aagreement on how to deploy the 'n' standard so I would get this if your looking for one now. All the Netgear wireless (went thru 4 of them) routers SU*K AS*
What kinds of problems did you experience with the Netgear routers? I've never owned one, but I'm supposed to help a friend set one up on the weekend... Any info would be great. Thanks.

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 09:00 PM

I like the Belkin Pre-N routers, myself. I say stay away from the "super-boost" 802.11g routers that seem to be everywhere.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 09:01 PM

D-Link DI-624 has been great for me. I really like its configuration page, where I can make some changes that force other routers to restart. I also find its configuration pages easiest to navigate and make changes on (having used 2 Linksys routers and a Netgear one previously (Netgear was terrible). Try it. It has Xbox Live Compatible firmwares and can be found in the same price range as some of the others mentioned.
To be determined later.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2006, 09:11 AM

I find it wierd how different people's opinions are on routers (with the exception, perhaps, of the WRT54G). On another thread in this forum a member blasts the DI-624 and recommends something from Netgear or Linksys (http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...s-nat-problem/) while, here, the opposite is happening...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 09:47 AM

From my experience, it's sometimes worst than the "PC or Mac" issue. It gets downright religious at times-particularly when people blast Linksys... I've seen more Linksys blasting than all the others combined.

The addage "YMMV" with an added "and your EXPERIENCE too" applies here-all of these products do better in some settings and worse in others. I'm particularly impressed by Naaaaak's review ot the DI-624, because he compares its configuration page to others he's seen. That's very important in deciding what brand and model to get, but it's hard to find out about without buying and trying. And that's a big part of the "I hate brand X..." stuff-you usually can't find out about intangibles like ease of use until you get the thing home...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 01:06 PM

With the final n standard delayed until at least 2008, I think there's something to be said for the increased speeds of the draft n hardware for the next year and a half if you use wifi a lot.
The draft hardware isn't terribly expensive, and the final hardware will likely be quite cheap (comparable to g hardware today) when it finally launches because everyone and their mother will be ready with chipsets and products.

Forum Links
Forum Rules