Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Late charges for web programming

Late charges for web programming
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2010, 05:14 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas as to how much people charge as late fees for outstanding balances that are due? Would anybody care to share? If you are a graphic designer I'd like to hear from you too!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2010, 10:51 PM

Isn't it up to you and based on your relationship with your client?

Personally, in my experience I've never seen a late fee assessed on anything other than a credit card.

Edit: Or a late tax payment.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 24, 2010 at 11:21 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2010, 11:00 PM

Well, I'm thinking of a policy that discourages lateness and what sort of late fee, if any, might be appropriate.

Eyenigma
Jun 25, 2010, 12:54 AM

Late fee? I'd suggest being VERY careful ever deploying a project without getting payment in full. For what it's worth, I'd suggest doing a 50/50 or 30/30/40 milestone payment. Of the two, I prefer the 50/50 for smaller and midsize projects. That way, the day the site goes live you get paid. No more chasing down deadbeat clients who don't pay.

You do have some sort of written agreement, I hope?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 01:44 AM

Yeah, although the exact late fee was not specified very clearly. I did get paid a retainer up front, what is not happening promptly is the final installment, it looks like it will occur after our original agreement. I should think about getting the final payment before making the site live, although there are usually tweaks needed post launch, and I host my sites on my own server anyway, so I have some leverage. I just need to better refine how to utilize my powers fairly and perhaps redefine payment policy.

I hate chasing people to pay, that's easily the one thing I miss about a 9 to 5 job!

Forum Links
Forum Rules