Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > <rant>I'm getting to hate my iPad Mini</rant>

<rant>I'm getting to hate my iPad Mini</rant>
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2014, 02:16 PM

Rant time (ignore if you don't have an iPad Mini that doesn't like you).

I getting to hate my iPad Mini (1st generation).

Just spent an hour drafting an email, only to have Mail crash, and my letter is gone. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Is the recommended workflow to go back to the save-save-save strategy of the crashy pre-Mac OSX days, and repeatedly close the email and saving the draft and opening it again to continue editing?

Since I first got it, switching from one app to another means that the 1st app will load from scratch when I return. Reloading all my Safari tabs isn't that much of a pain (unless I've filled out a form), but it's a risk when moving away from Mail (to, say, find a url in Safari to copy into the email).

Multi-taking my @ss.

My "ancient" iphone 4 is far superior to my iPad Mini, I can leave a draft email open for days before returning, and it's always there, in the same state in which I left it. This is how I expect devices of this class to operate.

Yeah, I know that the low amount of RAM in the Mini is the issue. Knowing doesn't mean I'm not still p1ssed off to no end.

End rant (I have to get back to writing my email again). Sigh.

Chas

CCRyder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2014, 02:42 PM

Hey Chas. Mail crashing sounds more like the OS than the iPad. Did you update your OS recently? iOS 8 can be too much for older devices.

I have a 1st generation running iOS7 (not updating) and it has never crashed.

P
Nov 13, 2014, 06:25 PM

My workaround is to select all and copy every now and then.

What OS are you running? IMO, 7.0 was the worst for this, and 7.1 made it slightly better (haven't bothered with 8.x yet).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

leoofborg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2014, 06:01 PM

Tell me, did your hate with your iPad Mini start with the upgrade to iOS 8.1 and Cloud Drive?

I've had LOTS of stuttering and crashing. It's ALL due to conflicts between Cloud Drive & iCloud:

iOS 8.1 and iCloud Issues – MacStories

The beatings will stop when Apple fixes their damned bugs. ALL iCloud + Cloud Drive Apps seem to be affected.

The only Apps on my iPad Mini (and iPod Touch) that are not are ones where the Devs have worked around APPLE'S BUG.

-Bad Uncle Leo

drchimrichalds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2014, 08:38 PM

Yeah. Looking forward to these updates. Hopefully they fix everything first time, but I am a bit doubtful

Forum Links
Forum Rules