Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook with external DVD-R burner

iBook with external DVD-R burner
bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 11:16 AM

I am new to the world of Apple and am interested in purchasing a 900Mhz iBook to start my switch from the PC world. I am wondering if it is possible to use an external DVD-R burner via firewire with this computer and will I be able to install iDVD? Just to add more info, this burner is a Pioneer A04 in a firewire enclosure.

Thanks!
Brad

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 11:44 AM

iDVD will not run on a G3 processor nor will it burn on a thirdparty external drive.

If you put that drive in a tower tho, it should be totally compatible.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

wludavid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 10:36 PM

As vvedge said, iDVD won't work on a G3 processor. However, other DVD writing reading capabilities exist. I haven't done much research on it, but seeing as MCE makes an internal SuperDrive upgrade for the iBook, other DVD-writing options exist. For example, OS X's built-in capabilities, or through third-party software like Toast.

Volanges
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2003, 10:39 PM

hmmm... I just managed to load iDVD on my G3 600mhz with the contentious "DVD Enabler" program that Apple forced off the market a year ago

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-955805.html

Actually I've gotten it to open and run but I haven't actually finished a project on it -- at any rate it works and isn't crashing on me. Managed it with both iDVD 2 and iDVD 3.

Still, can't you just compose stuff with iMovie and then find a free encode/burn program off macupdate or something?

I actually use Formac's program but was just curious to see if I could get iDVD to load. Formac's Devideon is integrated with iMovie and chapter markers as of their most recent software release.

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=sol...rives_devideon

They're basically the Pioneer 05 or 06 repectively, just encased in Formac's firewire enclosure and with their own software. Integrates well with their DV capture device too.
( Last edited by Volanges; Aug 18, 2003 at 10:03 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules