Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Firewire/USB HD Enclosure Recommendations?

Firewire/USB HD Enclosure Recommendations?
jcroft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 11:41 AM

Hello all...

I've just ordered a new 15" Powerbook to replace my Power Mac G4. I've added an 80GB EDIE drive to my Power Mac and want to remove it and put it in an external enclosure for use with my Powerbook.

Sooo...what I'm looking for is a relativley inexpensive Firewire and/or USB 2.0 enclosure. I'd prefer it be stylish and small, if possible (I don't plan to take it with me, but i'd like it to look nice and not take up much room on my desk).

Any recommendations? Again, i'm looking for ENCLOSURE ONLY, not a whole drive.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 12:31 PM

Take a good look at Other World Computings enclosures.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...le=&Template=1

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 11:51 PM

I have ADS Technologies Dual Link Drive Kit. It supports both USB 2 and FireWire, the latter with daisy chaining. Its a very solid enclosure, well made, decent looking... but not particularly small. There's probably smaller out there.

So far, I've been pleased with it... but I've only had it for a week or so.

I have a 250GB Maxtor drive in it, FWIW.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 07:00 PM

I had an ADS pyro case, but it crapped out on me. A friend of mine who does mac support for a group that does a lot of work with a lot of external drives told me that he has tried a bunch of cases but now he only uses the mercury cases from OWC. So I got one, and it has been great.

Hope that helps.
Backup your Backup

klinux
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 08:19 PM

I use an Argosy aluminum FW+USB2 enclosure with Oxford chip. Works and looks great. Retails for ~$50 at dealsonic and pcmicrostore. Cheapest OWC Mercury seems to be about $90. Is plexi better looking than aluminum? Maybe to some people but definitely not to me and definitely not at 80% premium.

http://www.dealsonic.com/dealsonic/arhdal3usb201.html
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules