Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Automated Shape Shifting

Automated Shape Shifting
bmzollinhofer
Feb 11, 2005, 05:13 PM

I apologize if this topic has already been covered, but is there any program that will change the theme on the fly? I have a widget (wallspos�) that changes my desktop image at preset times. Is there a way to do the same thing with my themes? Even a randomizer for a new day. There are a few different ones that I like, which I would like to use more often.

If there isn't anything like this out there, can someone write a program? I think it would be great to have something that would do this.

Thanks

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 06:14 PM

It would need to restart all your apps as well... so I don't see that it's possible.

bmzollinhofer  (op)
Feb 11, 2005, 06:20 PM

How about if it changed everytime you logged on? Like when you boot up the computer...that would work.

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 03:33 AM

I wrote a quickie little demo app for MWSF that I've been considering releasing to the community. Basically, what it did was this: Every 45 seconds, it would fade out the screen to a randomly chosen picture (advertising for various Unsanity haxies). While the screen was showing the ad, it would relaunch the Finder, Dock, and menu extras with a new theme, icon set, cursor set, and desktop picture. If the chosen theme had included icons, cursors or desktops, one of those would be chosen, otherwise, it would choose one randomly. Once the Finder had relaunched, it would fade back to normal usage. Oh, and it would only activate if the computer had been idle for 45 seconds, not every 45 seconds.

The stuff that was chosen has to be cached, which is a fairly serious limitation.

Anyway, it was a solid little demo app, and I've been thinking about releasing it. It sounds like there's interest in it. Is there?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Makki
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 04:06 AM

Smeger definately an interest here

Makki

siMac
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Makki:
Smeger definately an interest here

Makki
Nice speeling Makii.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

AveTenebrae
Feb 12, 2005, 09:58 AM

how could you work efficiently if your theme, and all your icons change every time you logout ? and worst every 45 sec so

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by AveTenebrae:
how could you work efficiently if your theme, and all your icons change every time you logout ? and worst every 45 sec so
Well, I'd probably add an interface to change that interval to something more conducive to actually "getting stuff done".
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

bmzollinhofer  (op)
Feb 12, 2005, 11:28 PM

Sounds good smeager. Also, is there a way to just make it an applescript type program (or something with that same effect), so I could set it to run as a hot key, therefore randomizing which theme came up? Maybe when I am in the mood to see something different, I can hit my hot key and WHALLAH... new theme.

just a thought

Forum Links
Forum Rules