Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > NeoOffice/J reaches release candidate status.

NeoOffice/J reaches release candidate status.
JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 12:08 PM

Now that the initial pulse of downloads has possibly subsided, here's a post to let everyone know that NeoOffice/J 1.1 has reached RC1 status. Congratulations go to Ed and Patrick for another milestone reached

Will V.
Apr 4, 2005, 12:37 PM

I downloaded NeoOffice/J 1.1 the other night when setting up my new PowerBook. I wanted to make a clean break from Microsoft, and I've used OpenOffice for Windows with great success.

I haven't had much of a chance to check out NeoOffice yet, the few Office documents I did try have opened beautifully... one was a highly formatted shipping label document, and another a simple spreadsheet. No problems with either.
( Last edited by Will V.; Apr 4, 2005 at 01:19 PM. )

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 02:52 PM

This is absolutely fantastic news - I'm a great fan of the lovely neooffice sweet suite and I think it should get more help than it currently does - if I were a developer I'd help!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Will V.:
I downloaded NeoOffice/J 1.1 the other night when setting up my new PowerBook. I wanted to make a clean break from Microsoft, and I've used OpenOffice for Windows with great success.

I haven't had much of a chance to check out NeoOffice yet, the few Office documents I did try have opened beautifully... one was a highly formatted shipping label document, and another a simple spreadsheet. No problems with either.
Try iWork...

Will V.
Apr 4, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Try iWork...
No spreadsheet...

Try NeoOffice...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Will V.:
No spreadsheet...

Try NeoOffice...

That guy likes to troll around saying you should "try" an $80 piece of software instead of a free one that's more powerful. Don't bother replying.

Will V.
Apr 5, 2005, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
That guy likes to troll around saying you should "try" an $80 piece of software instead of a free one that's more powerful. Don't bother replying.
Gotcha!

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Try iWork...
While iWork is a very nice suite of WP and presentation app (and both are far superior to the NeoOffice or MS Office equivalents in some respects but lacking in others), there are other reasons why the success of NeoOffice (or OOo) is important for the Mac. Just one of which is the shift away from MS Office to OOo/StarOffice in many governmental and other organisations. OSS is where these places are heading and if those OSS solutions are absent or deficient on the Mac, then there will be no place for Apple within those institutions or for the people who work in them. Just keep that in mind, will you. Also, fwiw, the MS Office compatibility is one of the areas where OOo/NeoOffice is greatly superior to iWork...

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 01:42 PM

Just to say first patch is up with extra features - they're really motoring along now, its great!

Indic text (e.g. Devanagari and Gujurati) is now supported - This patch adds support for character reordering which is required to properly render Indic text.
System colors are used - Previously, hard-coded background, text, and highlight colors were used. With this patch, Neo/J now uses the colors set in the System Preferences application.

Forum Links
Forum Rules