Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Update] SmoothStripes and Aqua Extreme for Tiger

[Update] SmoothStripes and Aqua Extreme for Tiger (Page 3)
SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
May 15, 2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire

There, now wasn't that better? Do you see my point now? You spent two pages doing everything but help in this manner, only to now actually say something worth reading.

Why do you think I pointed out your reply about replacing files? I think you can guess I'm not really interested in what the problem is, but to get you to elaborate on things you keep hinting at. You were one step to acting in a decent manner with that reply on replacing files, as you did just here, but still faltered.

The problem here isn't about the borked Mac, it's about attitude. Why couldn't you have replied like this right from the start? Why do what you did?
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SubGeniux
There, now wasn't that better? Do you see my point now? You spent two pages doing everything but help in this manner, only to now actually say something worth reading.
Sub, had he originally came in, and simply said "I tried to install it, and something bad happened, think anyone could help me?" He probably wouldn't have gotten the response he did.

Just like when someone say comes into the OS X part of the forum making claims that Tiger screwed their computer up, and how they wished they would have just stuck with Panther.

That is basically what he said.

Now, if someone were to say that, people would probably laugh, then ask them what the problem was. If said person reacted poorly to it, and called them names etc, I doubt that person would get much help.

in other words, if you are having problems, and need help, the best thing to do is be nice.
Why do you think I pointed out your reply about replacing files? I think you can guess I'm not really interested in what the problem is, but to get you to elaborate on things you keep hinting at. You were one step to acting in a decent manner with that reply on replacing files, as you did just here, but still faltered.
I was acting in a decent manner, because in the post I was responding to, was being treated in a decent manner. Funny how those two go hand in hand.

For some reason, some people think they can go around and call people names, treat them like crap, and then expect for the very same person to respect them, and treat them nicely.

It doesn't happen that way.
The problem here isn't about the borked Mac, it's about attitude. Why couldn't you have replied like this right from the start? Why do what you did?
What? I said his post was funny. Because it was. I see posts like that all the time and they make me laugh. Shoot me.

I tried to tell him the problem wasn't the installer, and if his system was hosed, it was probably something he did.

Direct quote

Man oh man that was funny.

BTW I just tried this 10 times in a row. Not a problem.

There is nothing wrong with said installer Max used. It's the one Apple itself uses.

If you hosed your system, you did something wrong.
From which I got this reply
Funny? Are you stupid or something? Think it's funny that I experienced a problem? I'm not really interested if you didn't experience a problem.

FYI: The thing that I did, was to run the installer. Pretty hard to ascribe something I did wrong when using something so simple. Wouldn't you think? Sounds like I did exactly what you are doing above, running the installer.

If you have nothing to contribute, why not plug your keghole?
Had he just asked me to explain like you did, I would have surely done that.

But that isn't what he did. Which made me think he wasn't even trying to figure out what went wrong.

That he was just trolling.

I am still waiting to hear from Max on this all.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
May 15, 2005, 08:38 PM

Sub if it isn't the files, then it wasn't the installer that messed up.
Now, I am not trying to toot my own horn, but I can pretty much guess from his description, if it even happened like he said it did, that one of the files must have corrupted somehow. Now, how that happened is beyond me..

Just wanted to pick up on this point. You're now agreeing with him that the installation could have corrupted a file? That between the installation and the demise of his system, files got corrupted, or possibly?

See, you actually agree with him, in the end, of course.
sanathana sarathi

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 08:42 PM

Sub, had he originally came in, and simply said "I tried to install it, and something bad happened, think anyone could help me?" He probably wouldn't have gotten the response he did.
Wait a minute. It was his experience that brought him to his conclusions. He made a judgement on what he thought caused an issue here, and you decide to not be helpful because you got uppity over it?

People skills, zimmer, people skills.

Update: I re-read his reply to you. You seemed to be quite offensive in laughing straight away. Is it any wonder he didn't ask you for help? In fact, he did, he consistently asked you to either be helpful, or just keep quiet.

That's pretty damn fair, IMO especially after you came in all judgmental.

Zim, I know what you're like, just remember that.
sanathana sarathi

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2005, 08:43 PM

Just wanted to pick up on this point. You're now agreeing with him that the installation could have corrupted a file?

That between the installation and the demise of his system, files got corrupted, or possibly?
No, I said that is what sounds like something would happen if a file was corrupt.
That is what made me tell him it wasn't the installer. If the file was corrupted by the installer, my copy would also be as well.

Now, if his computer wasn't working properly...

Just like people who don't run disk permissions and repair their HD before installing a OS...
See, you actually agree with him, in the end, of course.
No, no I am not.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 08:49 PM

No, I said that is what sounds like something would happen if a file was corrupt.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
sanathana sarathi

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2005, 08:49 PM

Wait a minute. It was his experience that brought him to his conclusions.
He claimed since the installer was the last thing he used, it was probably the culprit.

The problem cropped up when removing the theme via the installer. After the installer had run, I logged out and it dropped me to the command prompt (console mode).
I also found this gem.
I don't care if you didn't experience a problem. I did, I wrote up what it was to inform the guy who created the installer, and for other users. I don't care much about your popmous attitude, either; assuming that it's funny, and that the user is utterly to blame for said issue.
I guess it was ok for him to act "popmous" and assume it was the installer and not him. And then make comments how he should have used the OTHER method. As if he had proof that would have went better.

That is why I responded the way I did.
He made a judgement on what he thought caused an issue here, and you decide to not be helpful because you got uppity over it?
No, I tried to be helpful and explain why it really couldn't have been the installer. it was he that got uppity.

He didn't WANT to hear it wasn't the installer. Even after I tried to explain to him.
I got this
Honestly, mate, you're barking up the wrong tree here if you're out to make a point via my posts.

Obviously something has happened which YOU don't understand, and I haven''t figured out, yet. Is that too much of a leap in logic for you to grasp at his stage?

In any case, babble all you want, I'm just going to ignore you if your approach to problem solving is this mess of a reply.
So yeah, he didn't want to hear anything but what he wanted to hear.

Just like most users that come in here blaming the software for their problems.

He wasn't even LOOKING for a fix, or help.

Which is another reason why I believed he was just trolling. He didn't even seem to care he couldn't boot back up. He would just reinstall or whatever.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 08:55 PM

He claimed since the installer was the last thing he used, it was probably the culprit.

That is why I responded the way I did.

No, I tried to be helpful and explain why it really couldn't have been the installer. it was he that got uppity.

Doesn't matter what he said to you later on, you're initial impression on him was probably one of somebody being arrogant and dismissive. You can't cry foul after you've started the damage.

His first post contained nothing to warrant your reply, 'nuff said. You then can't complain if he doesn't listen you what you say while you're acting the way you did, sorry, doesn't work that way.

You were wrong to reply to him the way you did, you got him riled up, he then asked you to be cordial, you then did your usual spin, and bang. Yes, he said some things that might annoy you, but look back, it's in reaction to you, not the other way around.

Zim, I've seen you do this to many people in here. They can't all be wrong, it mostly centres on you. You go think about that for a change.

Anyway, you never gave him the chance to ask for a fix. You instantly got on his back and started all this. I don't think the guy had a chance to even talk to anyone else. You were doing your usual rattling off quotes on your keyboard.
sanathana sarathi

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2005, 08:56 PM

Sub there are also things you don't know about this. But ok.

I think if you did, you wouldn't be replying in the way you are.

Believe me.

And he didn't want a fix. He never asked for one in his original post.

He himself said he just posted it to "Warn Max and others" about the evils of the installer.

That was all.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 08:58 PM

I think if you did, you wouldn't be replying in the way you are.

Believe me.

Obviously I must be out of the loop if there's something else going on here I'm unaware of.

Want to PM me about them?
sanathana sarathi

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2005, 09:09 PM

Done

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 10:50 PM

Dang, Zimph severely hijacked this thread

then murdered it

by beheading it

with a tooth brush.

BTW, awesome themes Max. Keep up the awesome work!

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2005, 10:56 PM

Naw, trolling hijacked Max's thread.

Which is sad. This is one of the best looking and usable themes out there.

chezpaul
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Dang, Zimph severely hijacked this thread

then murdered it

by beheading it

with a tooth brush.
\

Yeah, he's an ass. He loves doing it. His posts are total @#$@#$ crap and not interesting in any way. He's been on my ignore list for over a year and this forum all of a sudden became so much more interesting and quite... and nice...

Dryden, I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Just do as I did and move on.

And Zit, you can yell all you want, I can't hear you. I don't even read you quoted.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Zimphire
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 07:15 PM

chezpaul if you even knew what was really going on, you'd really feel like an ass.

AveTenebrae
May 16, 2005, 11:18 PM

beautiful theme max, thanks.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 11:30 PM

Yeah, Max you should offer a version that has the brushed texture removed like so

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=256436

I've already had people ask me for the modded theme, but wont give it out without permission.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:19 AM

Have anyone else’s IQ points drop after reading this thread?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 05:05 AM

Better question, has anyone else had problems with the installer?

Max, have you had anyone on your forum complain?

Dryden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 07:46 AM

chezpaul if you even knew what was really going on, you'd really feel like an ass.

I told myself I shouldn't get involved with you anymore, but this I can't leave. Please enlighten us all, and me, as to what is really going on. It seems your issue no longer is about how I phrased my first post here, but some other hidden reason.

Please do tell as to what you mean by that comment. If this is the type of reaction you give to people, and then turn it into some babbling nonsense on hidden motives, then you need help.

Seek it.

Dryden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 07:50 AM

Really? Amazing. How could you possibly know anything beyond what I have written here. I don't know anyone here, don't know you, so what is really going on here with you?

As to trolling, leave it out.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 12:23 PM

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 01:14 PM

cool smilie private collection?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:44 PM

I have a small issue with the package installer and Traffic Square
http://www.imben.net/macnn/smallproblem.png

One edge is square the other isn't.

achaete-scute
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 08:32 PM

Max, you're the best! Thanks so much for the wonderful themes! I love Aqua Extreme!

Keep up the good work!

Best,

dru
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 05:48 PM

Ah hail Themus Supremus Maximus!
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 04:56 AM

egads, the GUI forum is so woefully under-moderated.

/me picks up eyes, tucks them in shirt pocket, turns off iBook

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Zimphire
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 07:23 AM

I think Max should make a non-brushed variation of Smooth Stripes.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=256436

I've had alot of people asking for me to send them mine. But will not without Max's permission.

Forum Links
Forum Rules