Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Flatfoto Mofo!

Flatfoto Mofo!
scadboy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2005, 08:54 AM

I bought a 3mp Flatfoto camera from RadioShack yesterday, as their past cameras have been mac compatible (if only barely), it was $79 plus a $20 mail in rebate, so I thought I'd try it out.

I got it home, took a few pictures, hooked it up to my mini over USB, and to my delight, it mounted instantly without any problem. I scooped out the photos to find that they were all in some weird proprietary RAW format. Photoshop and Graphic Converter won't touch them, trying to force them open using Photoshop RAW gives only an image that looks like Television static, and Camera RAW won't do anything with them.

The software on the cd is windows only, obviously. Has anyone had any experience with this camera? The RadioShack website is, not surprisingly, less than helpful.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=16-3844

Oh, to add insult to injury, I see the price is now $10 less than what I bought it for yesterday.

**** me

-michael

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 02:06 PM

You might have tried, but have you gone though all the menus/options on your camera itself, and see if there is any other possible format it will save the pictures on? I know on my camera I can pick which type of video files it creates (either .avi or .something else) perhaps you can pick how the pictures are saved.

Also, have you tried looking around for drivers / photoshop plugins? Could exist..
yep.

scadboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2005, 02:21 PM

I searched the menus and found no such options, only resolution, and each resolution writes the image as the weird RAW format. I have not looked for any photoshop plug ins, but that sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks!

-michael

jdub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2005, 09:49 PM

i just bought a flatfoto 3mp today and came across the exact same problems. did you ever find a solution?? found this forum doing a search for flatfoto drivers for mac. getting quite frustrated here.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 02:03 AM

hmm... not sure if its worth the investment, but you might try getting VirtualPC (or something to the same effect) and running the disc it came with. Thats the only thing I can think of short of using a PC and photoshop to convert them....(may as well get a new camera huh?)

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

jdub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2005, 02:24 PM

well, i bought an scandisk card to go with it in the hopes that i could just plug the card into my reader and extract the photos from there. but it still shows up as RAW images. I cant figure out how to convert them. The camera was $69 with a $20 rebate so I thought it would be worth the effort. Now im thinking that it may not be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules