Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS 11

Mac OS 11 (Page 2)
jcroft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 03:36 PM

I can't believe I'm the first one to bring this up, since it seems like the incredibly obvious brand comparison...

...remember OS/2?

It was always OS/2, no matter what the version number was. I suspect Mac OS X will be much the same way. "Mac OS X" is the brand name. "X" is not the version number. It's part of the name of the operating system, just like "2" wasn't the version number, but rather part of the "OS/2" brand name.

jcroft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 03:37 PM

I can't believe I'm the first one to bring this up, since it seems like the incredibly obvious brand comparison...

...remember OS/2?

It was always OS/2, no matter what the version number was. I suspect Mac OS X will be much the same way. "Mac OS X" is the brand name. "X" is not the version number. It's part of the name of the operating system, just like "2" wasn't the version number, but rather part of the "OS/2" brand name.

jcroft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 03:41 PM

...remember OS/2?

jcroft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 03:42 PM

...remember OS/2?

JBHoren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 11:11 AM

MacOS 10
MacOS 11
MacOS 100
MacOS 101
MacOS 110
MacOS 111
JONATHAN B. HOREN
Linux/Unix/MacOSX Systems Administration
Boca Raton, FL
[email protected]

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 11:33 AM

One thing I do know for sure, macnn forum poster are almost never right about Apple predictions.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 01:22 PM

Mac OS X++

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 02:29 PM

Seems double-double posting is acting up again...

P
Nov 3, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by manray
In fact, a large part of the reason Intel switched to "Pentium" for the release of the 586 was the fact that they could trademark (and protect) a name, but not a number.
...and competitors released their own CPUs with the "486" model number, which confused consumers. Yes, that was why, but to be logical the Pentium Pro ought to have been named Hexium and the Pentium 4 Heptium, since they used new cores that were as big a deviation from the Pentium as the Pentium was from the 486. Compared to these core changes, the addition of MMX and SSE was a very minor tweak to an existing design, but I suppose you could call them something special as well.

Many people expected the Pentium 4 "Prescott" to be called Pentium 5, because it added new instructions, which is what Intel has used before as a marker to put a new number on their CPUs. That it wasn't was the first indication that maybe the entire Pentium 4/Netburst idea wasn't such a good one.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcroft

...remember OS/2?

Bingo! Give the man a ceegar! (sorry if you're not male )

Forum Links
Forum Rules