Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.5/8.6 on StarMax problems

8.5/8.6 on StarMax problems
thom
May 11, 1999, 10:55 AM

Hi all. I'm running a StarMax 4000/160 (that's a 160 MHz PPC 604), main drive IDE but I've installed an internal SCSI drive in addition (by recabling the SCSI from the motherboard) and have external Jaz and Zip drives too. I'm currently running OS 8.1 and just picked up OS 8.5 mainly so that I can install 8.6. Under 8.1 everything works fine.

But the installer crashes on me whenever I try to install. I'm currently running my system off the internal IDE drive and am trying to do a clean install of 8.5 onto the internal SCSI drive. The installer runs fine and starts working normally, but then freezes at some non-replicable point partway through the installation.

I suspect that Apple didn't go out of its way to make OS 8.5 compatible with clones, but this is a Tanzania motherboard which is also used in some Apple models. I figure it will work if it's given the right TLC. Does anybody have any ideas or experience with this?

Many thanks -- cc: of replies by email appreciated (though I'll check back here too of course).

Thom

------------------
Thom Cleland
[email protected]

jcroft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 1999, 11:01 AM

This exact thing happened on my Father's Starmax. What I did was simply do a clean install of 8.5 on another (Apple) machine, and copy the system folder over to the StarMax...the OS has run fine ever since. Haven't tried the 8.6 update on that machine though....

Jeff Croft

Mac007
Forum Regular
May 16, 1999, 05:48 AM

You might also try posting your request at the Unofficial StarMax website.

<url>http://www.starmax.net/</url>

They also have a free email discussion list.

------------------

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

Forum Links
Forum Rules