Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Nike+ Users?

Any Nike+ Users?
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 11:03 AM

How do you like the whole setup? i dont know what i want for xmas and think i might add this to the list with the announcement of that Amp+ thing...i just recently started running and am looking for a motivator when i get back to school. does this work for you guys? is it accurate?

and why does it only work with the nano!?
blah

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 11:06 AM

Here are some
I ordered it for my sister for Christmas to use with her brand new Nano, I think she'll like it.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 01:03 PM

Works great. I have no idea how accurate it is in terms of distance though.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 02:33 PM

I believe it only works for Nano's. But you don't have to buy Nike+ shoes in order to use the system. You can buy the device and buy a little pouch that clips on to any pair of shoes and use it just he same. But Nike+ shoes are nice because the little transceiver hides away in the sole of the shoe.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 03:12 PM

I'm really tempted for the whole nike/nano rig but all in all, I've never really liked how Nike running shoes felt. I'm not a brand snob but new balance has always made a running shoe that felt good for me.

Mike
Michael

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 04:02 PM

Nike shoes are notoriously narrow. People with wider feet usually complain that they don't fit well. And they are correct. Also, Nike's tend to fall apart quite easily. I'm no runner, but I usually hear that New Balance, and a couple other brands are better for serious runners than Nike's.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I'm really tempted for the whole nike/nano rig but all in all, I've never really liked how Nike running shoes felt. I'm not a brand snob but new balance has always made a running shoe that felt good for me.

Mike
Check the post riiight before yours.

And I got a message today from the hall desk that they received a time-sensative package and it was some sort of special delivery. Turns out it was the Nike+ kit I bought Friday morning. I have no idea why it was so special, though.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Check the post riiight before yours.

And I got a message today from the hall desk that they received a time-sensative package and it was some sort of special delivery. Turns out it was the Nike+ kit I bought Friday morning. I have no idea why it was so special, though.
Oh man, how could I have tripped over that one. That's good news
Michael

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 09:36 AM

Check out the iPod forum here. There are a bunch of us with these, and the general opinion is that this works very well. Personally, I love it. Works perfectly and is a lot of fun to use. Accuracy is very good, and I just have the sensor under my shoe laces.

OreoCookie
Dec 13, 2006, 06:36 AM

Nike running shoes suck. Plus, I've spent 150 Euros on my new Ascics this year, there's no way, I'll spend the same amount to replace perfectly good shoes with Nikes.

Does any of you know whether the company which sells the sensor pouches has European resellers?
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Dec 13, 2006 at 06:46 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 11:27 AM

It looks like these are available in Europe.

OreoCookie
Dec 13, 2006, 07:48 PM

Great, thanks!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

scadboy
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 12:25 PM

I have the SwitchEasy Runaway, it's good, if a little flawed. It holds the sensor in place very well and gives accurate numbers, much better in this regard than the Grantwood ShoePouch. I purchased the ShoePouch (http://www.shoepouch.com/) the day it became available and have been rather disappointed with it. It's fairly simple, decent quality construction, and easy to put into place, but I can't coax accurate numbers out of it for the life of me. I've tried calibrating the sensor while using the ShoePouch several times but it still reports my pace as being far slower than actual. Has anyone else used it?

The Runaway, though, is always right in-line with the numbers reported by my treadmill. It's a neat little piece of kit overall, and you can't beat the price. The only problem I have with it is I actually have to tape the part that holds the sensor to the part that slips under your laces to keep it from swinging open while I run. It doesn't really "Lock" in place as the page suggests, it just kind of stops turning when it's "closed," but there's no mechanism to hold it in place. A tiny strip of scotch tape is enough to hold it steady, and to be honest, even if the sensor does go swinging, it still seems to report accurate results.

I particularly like the way it stores the iPod receiver when not in use, and the inclusion of a plastic cap to cover the dock connector on the receiver is an exceptionally thoughtful and much appreciated touch. And, as it comes with two covers, I use the second one when toting my docking cable to and from work. So despite it's little issue, I'm happy with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules