Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac hard drive failure and it's only 18 days old!!!

iMac hard drive failure and it's only 18 days old!!!
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 11:18 AM

SMART status is failing. "This drive has reported a fatal hardware error to Disk Utility."

Thank god I have a TM backup (as well as some folders backed up on another external drive).

So no question it will be replaced, but how does a guy go about securing the data before taking the drive in? The drive still works right now thankfully.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 11:45 AM

Securing the data? You mean securing it from others? Try erasing it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 12:04 PM

Is there a faster way maybe thru the terminal? I did a 7 pass erase on my last computer before I sold it and it took about 12 hours. And that was a SATA 1.5, 250 GB drive. Now I have 750 GB.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 12:33 PM

I don't think it would be any faster either way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2007, 02:39 PM

Hmmmmmmm...........now the drive appears to be OK. SMART status is verified, nothing is in red now. Don't know whether to be happy or not. But I've got multiple backups so I'm not too worried.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think it would be any faster either way.
Yes, whether you do it in Disk Utility or through some Terminal command, the only way to securely erase your data is to write over it at least once. This will happen only as fast as your hard disk can write zeroes no matter what tool you use.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Hmmmmmmm...........now the drive appears to be OK. SMART status is verified, nothing is in red now. Don't know whether to be happy or not. But I've got multiple backups so I'm not too worried.
Failing hard disks often exhibit symptoms intermittently. If it used to say SMART status was failing, then it is going to die. It's just a matter of whether it finally happens in a few weeks or in a few hours.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 11:07 AM

Is there a log somewhere that documents that it was failing? If I take the iMac in now, DU won't report a failing HDD.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2008, 11:17 AM

About a week and a half ago, the smart status was failing again. This time I took it to the closest Apple store and had them swap out the HDD. We'll see what happens. Hopefully it was just the drive and not a symptom of another problem. Thank god for Time Machine. Took about 6 hours to restore all the data but well worth it.

On a side note, I also complained about the backlight bleed on the LCD so they swapped that out too. I'm not seeing much of a difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules