Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I need a new printer ASAP

I need a new printer ASAP
motoyen
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 08:02 AM

My printer crapped out on me and I need to replace it ASAP. I'm looking for a multi function inkjet, scan/copy/print that is compatible with 10.5 and Airport Express.

My previous model was a Lexmark and I wasn't too happy with their Mac OSX driver support. Price isn't a concern so which printer would you suggest has the best OSX support and would meet all my needs?

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 10:09 AM

The only way you're going to get scanning over the network is with a printer with ethernet instead of USB into the Airport Express. But since the Airport Express only has one ethernet jack, you're out of luck. You could buy a $45 wifi router with more ethernet ports (and just wire the Airport Express to it for music or whatever) and then get an ethernet printer/scanner/copier.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2008, 10:16 AM

Would it work if he got a network hub to split that one ethernet port on the Airport Express? Might be cheaper than getting a whole new wireless router

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2008, 10:22 AM

… or an ethernet switch.
If you do a lot of scanning, in particular of letters and papers, I suggest you take a printer that scans directly to pdf.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb 5, 2008 at 10:30 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

motoyen  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 11:20 AM

I dont do a lot if scanning but I print quite a bit. So am looking for decent wireless options, airport or bluetooth. My computer is a Macbook.

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2008, 11:51 AM

Forget about Bluetooth.
If you don't scan a lot, I suggest the following solution: use the solution you want as a wireless printer and connect via USB if you want to use its scanner. I suggest you have a look at Canon for inkjets and Brother if you want a laser printer. I'd advise you to get a laser, unless you really, really need color.

HP's software sucks big time, I mean it (my parents have a HP POS multifunction thingi).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 01:20 PM

It's not going to work plugging a switch into the Airport Express if he's using the Airport Express as a router. You can buy a wired router pretty cheaply.

The networked HP AIOs have a web interface that works well for scanning.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 01:31 PM

I recommend Canon. If there's any chance to get Mac network scanning support, Canon's drivers are probably a best bet. I wish I had switched to Canon inkjets years ago because I'm very happy with mine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 01:39 PM

Your other alternative is getting a printer that has WiFi support built-in. Brother makes a number of wireless multi-function printers that should fit the bill (e.g. MFC-665CW, MFC-685CW, MFC-865CW). Wireless printing and scanning works pretty well. I'm not too fond of inkjet printers when it comes to lots of printing, but it is pretty decent.

I think it works with Apple's Image Capture remote scanning in Leopard, but I haven't tried it myself. Brother provides their own Leopard-compatible software, so it isn't too much of an issue. You can scan and send to a remote device from within the printer itself, which is an added bonus in a multi-computer setup.

motoyen  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2008, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone.

obelix112za
Mar 7, 2008, 09:27 AM

HP C6180

Great printer, I have two Mac's, both on Leopard, printer is behind me, away from my Mac's. Print & scan wirelessly.

Really good buy!!!
J.H du Plessis
New 20" iMac, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, 320HDD, Samsung 24" 245B LCD, HP C6180 All In One Wireless Printer
Photo.net Photo's

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's not going to work plugging a switch into the Airport Express if he's using the Airport Express as a router.
Why not?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 10:47 PM

Because the switch would be on the WAN side of the router instead of the LAN side.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 11:09 PM

It doesn't have an Ethernet port on the LAN side?

How do they justify charging twice as much for it as for a Linksys router with an integrated 5-port switch?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2008, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
It doesn't have an Ethernet port on the LAN side?

How do they justify charging twice as much for it as for a Linksys router with an integrated 5-port switch?
No, it doesn't. But it does have AirTunes and a USB port for printers, so people pay out the nose for them.

Almost forgot to mention, it's waaaaaaaay cute.

vargavision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by motoyen View Post
My printer crapped out on me and I need to replace it ASAP. I'm looking for a multi function inkjet, scan/copy/print that is compatible with 10.5 and Airport Express.

My previous model was a Lexmark and I wasn't too happy with their Mac OSX driver support. Price isn't a concern so which printer would you suggest has the best OSX support and would meet all my needs?

Thanks
Don't waste your money if you don't have to. It may be a simple procedure to check your system preferences and to enter the IP number of your printer, install the latest drivers and restart your computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules